Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New intake and exhaust ?'s for a 99 3.4L 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New intake and exhaust ?'s for a 99 3.4L 4Runner

I was debating on swapping out the air intake box with a K&N and also upgrading the exhaust with the Borla setup on my 99 4Runner Ltd 2wd.

Has anyone else done this, and if you have, does it make any improvements on sound and power?

I was just wondering before I go the all the trouble and expense.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:59 PM

I have the FIPK intake on my '96 4Runner. It has a sound that resembles the sound that a 4 barrel carb made on an old '57 chevy. It is quite loud and can be heard inside the cab with the windows closed. I also have TRD headers and cat back exhaust. The exhaust has a nice tone to it that all but dissapears at highway speeds. I do feel that the truck is more responsive than before.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

It is far more cost effective to do the deckplate mod vs the FIPK. Not only that, but the deckplate mod will net you 5HP and the K&N 0 according to dyno charts. Check out the tech section on the deckplate mod. I would also do the ISR mod in conjunction with the deckplate mod for added throttle response. Be forewarned, at WOT this set up is LOUD. You are looking at $25 for the deckplate and ISR mod vs. $200 for the K&N. The choice is easy.

Another benefit is that you can seal the deckplate at any time for whatever reason.

I recommend a magnaflow muffler welded in place of the stock muffler for exhaust.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:54 PM

Don't do the FIPK. I just changed from a FIPK (my 4runner had it on there when I bought it) to a stock box with the deckplate mod, stock air filter and an Airaid MIT (which comes out to be about the same as the ISR mod), and I noticed that power is about the same except for maybe a little more boost at 2500 rpm. So save your money and do the deckplate and isr mods. You'll get the same and maybe even better performance than the K&N and your engine will breathe much cleaner.

If I was to do my exhaust over again, I would stick with the stock 2.25" pipe and weld in a magnaflow. I think 2.5 is too big unless you maybe get headers or a supercharger.

Last edited by mtxride; 10-14-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mtxride
stock air filter and an Airaid MIT (which comes out to be about the same as the ISR mod),
Chad-

I might be misunderstanding what you meant by this, but can you explain it further? The cheapest I could find the Air Raid tube for was $85; but I can do the ISR mod for about $9 via Home Depot.

If you know something I don't about the Air Raid intake tube price, please let me know!
Old 10-14-2004, 03:18 PM

Deckplate mod w/ K&N regular stock replacement filter and a flowmaster exhaust. Just don't forget to put the plate back during the wet seasons. And clean the K&N like once every three months max!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Chad-

I might be misunderstanding what you meant by this, but can you explain it further? The cheapest I could find the Air Raid tube for was $85; but I can do the ISR mod for about $9 via Home Depot.

If you know something I don't about the Air Raid intake tube price, please let me know!
Sorry, I didn't mean they were the same, price wise. I just meant that, performance wise, the airaid MIT does about the same thing as the ISR mod, being that they both increase airflow by removing the silencer.
I definently would have done the ISR mod if I had the stock intake, but since I didn't, i just decided to try the MIT instead.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mtxride
Sorry, I didn't mean they were the same, price wise. I just meant that, performance wise, the airaid MIT does about the same thing as the ISR mod, being that they both increase airflow by removing the silencer.
I definently would have done the ISR mod if I had the stock intake, but since I didn't, i just decided to try the MIT instead.

Im running a modded airbox 5.5" hole withou deckplate, a amsoil ts115 filter better than K&N and a magnaflow muffler! Which is same as Christian's setup.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

in my 4runner i did the deckplate first just like my old 96 and used the same air filter (amsoil) and it made a differnece. then i bought one of those 89 dollar intakes off ebay, had a ricer friend of mine do some reboaring of it, added some hella expensive filter to the end (some jdm that came off his wrx that he poaid like 150 for just the filter or something) and re did the heat sheild and man it sounds like a space ship. its still a manly sound but it sounds really nice, i get lots of complements around campus and it made a noticable improvement in performance off the line. it dropped my fuel economy by about 4-6 mpg o nthe highway though
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kevin444
Im running a modded airbox 5.5" hole withou deckplate, a amsoil ts115 filter better than K&N and a magnaflow muffler! Which is same as Christian's setup.
I have a 6" deckplate, so bring it on! And I want a magnaflow muffler (I started a thread about this want). Speaking of which, what magnaflow do you have? Did you get the center/center or did you get a center/offset model?

I am looking at a 14" right now because I like my rig loud!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

I was wondering if anyone has tried the new flowmaster delta series "american thunder" series. this for a 3.4l.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

96runner, I did'nt bother with a measely 6'' deckplate mod. My hole is shaped like Hitchcock's profile. A didtinct whistle can be heard at about 2500 softly transitioning to a mellow moan at 4500. : :
Old 10-15-2004, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by uboatcmndr
96runner, I did'nt bother with a measely 6'' deckplate mod. My hole is shaped like Hitchcock's profile. A didtinct whistle can be heard at about 2500 softly transitioning to a mellow moan at 4500. : :
Can you post a pic of that? I would like to see it.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:20 AM

which magnaflow?

Everyone seems to suggest the magnaflow welding between the stock pipes. Which size magnaflow is everyone using???
Old 10-15-2004, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by manintheboxx
Everyone seems to suggest the magnaflow welding between the stock pipes. Which size magnaflow is everyone using???
I have the 14 inch muffler. It's not too loud but not quiet, and it definently speaks up on acceleration.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:13 AM
AUJWE

When I'm home for Christmas and actually have some time I plan to replace my K&N FIPK with a AirRaid MIT and deckplated stock box. I am also tossing out the TB spacer. I still have all my stock stuff and I figured that I could sell my K&N FIPK on eBay to cover the cost of the MIT. I'll let you folks know how it compares to the current setup.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

I got a magnaflow 18" 5x8 aluminized oval case. center inlet. offset outlet.

Christian if you want loud. Get a downpipe, through a magnaflow 14" with a turndown!

pics of my setup can be seen on my picturetrail!.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...7768&members=1
Old 10-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Christian if you want loud. Get a downpipe, through a magnaflow 14" with a turndown!
My wife and neighbors would kill me!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
My wife and neighbors would kill me!
CMON you know you wanna
Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by AUJWE
When I'm home for Christmas and actually have some time I plan to replace my K&N FIPK with a AirRaid MIT and deckplated stock box. I am also tossing out the TB spacer. I still have all my stock stuff and I figured that I could sell my K&N FIPK on eBay to cover the cost of the MIT. I'll let you folks know how it compares to the current setup.
right on!!
after doing the deckplate mod, it took me like 15 minutes to pull the k&n stuff and install the stock/MIT stuff. I wouldn't mind trying a tb spacer. I wouldn't expect anything, but you never know.

Quick Reply: New intake and exhaust ?'s for a 99 3.4L 4Runner