Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New here but I need some imput..

Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here but I need some imput..

I'm looking to buy a new car, and I have the possibility of buying a 99 4runner which is equipped with a trd supercharger.. I did some quick searching and found that a lot of people have a modified exhaust, intake and fuel system as well.. how can I know if this car is stock besides the superchager? What should the car have done to it in order for the motor to support the application 100% and what things should i be looking for on the car overall as bad signs?]

Thanks !
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 AM

Welcome to yt! Well your going to want to look at half a million things really. If you can talk to the owner you can ask what has been done. A test drive would be a great idea. Now as for seein what it has you should pop the hood and take a peek. Make sure their are no empty plugs for anything or vacuum lines. A nice little trick I once learned is to wrap a magnet in felt and run it down the car. It will fall off bondo.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...tml#post706217
Link should help too.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 AM

thanks for the reply, i'll update as soon as i look at the truck but its at a dealership, so i doubt the guy knows much about it,. I was just wondering if there were different tryppes of trd superchargers some which would work on a 100 percent stock application and others were mods are needed. I'll take a look under the hood and i'll take it for a spin, im just kind of weary because they are asking less than 7k for the
4runner with about 150k and from what it looks like a good leather int and exterior..
Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 AM

also it appears to have "trd" brakes at least the calipers are red and have the logo on them, is there any way to verify that they are upgrades over stock vs just some retarded painted caliper?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
two areas to be concerned about with a sc equipped yota.
the motor needs to have additional fuel to prevent detonation. tuned with urd 7th injector or water methanol kit.
the valve body in the trans needs to be modded (import transmission-ipt) to prevent burn't clutches, excessive temps.
these mods are necessary for long term survival.

btw whats up with the sig?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM

gotcha, so probably not a good idea to get into it specially being that they really dont know what has been done to the truck , the guy tried to tell me it was factory, one didnt havve any idea about the trd brake thing the other said it was a tundra brake upgrade with slotted rotors, the radio doesnt work and the car has had a few accidents so i passed
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the sc and brake upgrades are worthwhile mods. new the sc alone is over 2800. the tundra brakes are a huge improvement according to write ups.
a coolingmist wm kit is in the 600 range.
ipt valve body mods are in the 500 range.
that being said with the mods supported properly that will be one very nice runner if the rest of the car is good.
there is plenty of info on this site about all things yota. get in search mode on here and find out.
guess it depends on what you want to spend and what you want in a car. good luck whatever way you end up going...