Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Guy - Locker Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy - Locker Question

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum and have a question about diff. lockers. I have an 87 4runner that I use mostly for getting into rough places to hunt/fish. Some of them are downright gnarly, but hey, if you wanna get away from the crowds, gotta go where they can't drive and won't walk.

Anyway, I want to put a Powermax No-Slip in my rear diff, mainly because it seems like a good compromise between performance/price/ease of installation.

Anyone have anything bad/good to say about these auto-lockers? Also, where can I look for a good used set and avoid forking out the $400 (found them as low as $350)?

I know you guys are always upgrading, so someones got to have a set around from when they made the big jump to ARB air lockers.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-04-2003, 05:08 PM

I have ARB lockers in mine. The only thing I know about those auto lockers is that they are much cheaper.

I used to drive a fire engine back in the day that had a Detroit locker in it and every time I straightened out of a turn it would go BANG and shake the whole fire engine. The first time it happened I thought I crashed the thing. I have ridden in a couple of Tacos and 4Runners with the auto lockers and they did chirp the tires and made the squeel around turns one would make this awful ratchetting sound.

There are newer ones out now that have better road manners and don't make the noises, but the do all have one thing in common. They all require resistance on both tires for it to work. If you have one up in the air you still are not going anywhere. There are some tricks you can do like ride the brakes to get them to kick in, but I am not that smart and went with the ARBs.

If you are still mostly on road you may want to look into the Detroit TrueTrac. It is a LSD that uses gears instead of clutches and works like the TORSEN LSD. I will be putting one in my other 4Runner soon that is used on the road. That will give you the excellent road manners and still give you more traction off road.

Of course, the newest, greatest thing going is the ElecTrac. It is a gear LSD like the TrueTrac, but you can flip a switch and it is a full locker like and ARB. Search for the website done by JD from Australia. He custom fitted one to his 2nd Gen with the Mustang engine in it.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 06-04-2003, 05:10 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!

Sorry I can not help you on Powermax no-slip diff, cuz the rear diff in my rig is open too. Somebody will chime in to assist you anyway possible.

Again, welcome to the forum!!

Noel
Old 06-04-2003, 07:13 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome! I would love to put in an ARB or Electric locker, but my budget is limited.

Jason