Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Grill and Lights with pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**New Grill and Lights with pics**

Here is what I've been working on for the past few weeks. I made the grill myself and then custom mounted the foglights behind it. I then ordered some driving lights to go on the guard. I want to thank Cody(CTB) for helping me mount those lights behind the grill. Let me know what you think If pics don't work then Webshots is screwing up again.

Last edited by Jonathan; 01-19-2004 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:58 PM

I'm not one for custome grille inserts, but that isn't bad. I like the lights behind it.

That second pic makes your 4runner look like an early 90s landcruiser. (maybe it's the small exploder next to it!)
Old 01-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Looks great in my opinion. I am actually looking to do something very similar to my 4th gen. Spent all weekend looking for metal screen (very similar to yours), but came up empty handed. Looked at everything from window and door screen to hampster cages...lol...if you could give me any direction, that would be awesome. Again, nice job.

Billy
Old 01-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fourunnabilly
Looks great in my opinion. I am actually looking to do something very similar to my 4th gen. Spent all weekend looking for metal screen (very similar to yours), but came up empty handed. Looked at everything from window and door screen to hampster cages...lol...if you could give me any direction, that would be awesome. Again, nice job.

Billy
I actually used galvanized steel stuco lathing from Home Depot. It's like $3.50 for a sheet that's 8 ft by 20 in. If you have any other questions just let me know.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:42 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fourunnabilly

Billy
Called gutter guard ..
Most home improvement store (Home Depot / Lowes) carry it. I did mine last year on a rainy day. I'm not one for wanting to cut out my center area so I did a overlay others have done the same and cut away the center section.
Here a pic others are in the album there
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...71054206RRKIjV

Forgot it was a under $4.00 mod

Last edited by WT; 01-19-2004 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WT
Called gutter guard ..
Most home improvement store (Home Depot / Lowes) carry it. I did mine last year on a rainy day. I'm not one for wanting to cut out my center area so I did a overlay others have done the same and cut away the center section.
Here a pic others are in the album there
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...71054206RRKIjV

Yeah it's basically gutter guard as said. It was called, what I called it, at Home Depot where I bought it. Just be careful when cutting that stuff, it's as sharp as a razor.:pat:
Old 01-19-2004, 04:52 PM

i just picked up a 98 grill on ebay to play around with, and I am curious.. if i do cut away the middle with the dremel what would be the optimal method of attaching the gutter guard? for example: what do i attached it with zipties? What would i attach it to? or should i cut a slot in the inside of the grill to slide the gutter guard into? Thanks
Old 01-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

What I did was use zip ties. Once you get the center section cut out and the grill off the truck you will see where to drill holes to attach the zip ties. Go here Jackson has a great write-up on this mod, and it he has pics to explain too.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:01 PM

thanks

Old 01-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Contributing Member

Anybody else? Come on guys let me know what you think
Old 01-19-2004, 05:59 PM

Looks good. Here's my take on the 'Gutter'Grille' mod. I made aluminum brackets to hold the sides in and used nuts and bolts with small flat washers all painted epoxy black to hold the mesh in place. It's very solid. After you cut the center section out, you'll see 2 ugly cuts into the inner side of the shell. I filled those up and repainted the inner shell before attaching the mesh. I kept my stock 99 grille in case I want to go back to stock.
Grille mod

Last edited by butnut; 01-19-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by butnut
Looks good. Here's my take on the 'Gutter'Grille' mod. I made aluminum brackets to hold the sides in and used nuts and bolts with small flat washers all painted epoxy black to hold the mesh in place. It's very solid. After you cut the center section out, you'll see 2 ugly cuts into the inner side of the shell. I filled those up and repainted the inner shell before attaching the mesh. I kept my stock 99 grille in case I want to go back to stock.
Grille mod
I did not know Webshot lets you post pics...did the rules chage? I'll try one now.

Put this(http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/) in front of your link surrounded by IMG tags. that way Webshots accounts work.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Brian, how did did you get your mesh black? Did you paint it, and if so what did you use and how do you expect it to hold up. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:19 PM

Can you see my pic? If so, it's working without adding anything, just copy paste...let me know, they NEVER let any pics post before.
Yeah, I'm a painter and I prefer to use 'good paint' but I saw an epoxy appliance paint in rattle can so I used that. This paint is gonna last as it cures real slow, hours later, it was still sticky. I let it sit a week before handling it. I could smell the paint days later and it glossed off real nice, like powder coat.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Your pic isn't working but if you put that tag in front like I said it should. Do you have specifics on that paint that you used, like brand or code #? I might be looking into painting mine I just haven't decided yet.

Last edited by Jonathan; 01-19-2004 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Jonathan
Anybody else? Come on guys let me know what you think
Ok..... I think you did a good job...I myself think it would look better if you lost the lower set of lights. The subtlety of the lights in the grill and nothing else looks better to me . But. If you like it thats all that counts. Good job.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by zedex
Ok..... I think you did a good job...I myself think it would look better if you lost the lower set of lights. The subtlety of the lights in the grill and nothing else looks better to me . But. If you like it thats all that counts. Good job.
Well when you look at it in person the grill guard looks really naked without the lights on it. No hard feelings, I respect your opinion. To each their own. Now if you really wanted to help me out you could sell me one of those bumpers of your for a special discounted price Seriously I love your bumpers I just can't afford one right now.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:32 PM

It was working...got that damn redX now...no biggie. It was a Rustolium rattle can...appliance epoxy. Got it at the hardware store.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by butnut
It was working...got that damn redX now...no biggie. It was a Rustolium rattle can...appliance epoxy. Got it at the hardware store.
Dang that is exactly what I was about to use on mine but I wasn't sure if it would hold up or not. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 PM

looks sweet!

Quick Reply: New Grill and Lights with pics