Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New to the Forum - Just Lifted my 02

Old 04-28-2003, 08:01 PM
SGD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to the Forum - Just Lifted my 02

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to thank you for this excellent source of information. I have been lurking on this forum for months searching for as much information as I could before modifying my 02 4Runner SR5. I say lurking because I never registered and silently cruised for information. I finally registered on this board over the weekend and wanted to let everyone know that I appreciate your shared experiences. This information has helped me to make an informed decision as I begin to make some "necessary" upgrades.

After much deliberation I decided a few weeks ago to order my OME lift. I went with OME 881's w/ Comfort Shocks up front + 2 5mm trim packers and 890's w/ Comforts in the rear. My truck will see aprox. 30K per year of highway miles and 2 or 3 off road excursions therefore I didn't want anything to crazy. I installed BFG AT's 285/75 x 16's and had to do a little inside front fender trimming (mainly plastic), but they fit well and look great. I had everything installed today at OK 4 Wheel Drive in Stewartsville, NJ. This is also where I purchased all of the parts. In a past life I lifted and heavily modified two Jeeps by myself and just wanted to leave my 4Runner to the professionals (not that I have ever had any problems with my own workmanship...alright maybe just a couple of problems). The guys at OK did a great job and really took the time to make sure everything was right (including checking brake lines, etc.). I must say that so far (I have traveled aprox. 70 miles) I am impressed. The truck seems to handle bumps much better than before and it looks sooo much better. So far my lift is 2.5" (+- 1/16") on both sides in the front, 3 1/8" Rear PS, and 3" Rear DS. I took the advise of many on the forum and had OK Auto install the longer rear spring labeled "RH" on the DS or left hand side. Yes, we installed it backwards, but the "RH" spring was clearly longer than the "LH" spring. In any case it seemed to work since the truck is pretty level.

I can definitely notice some power loss with the 285's but I think that the trade off of aesthetics and additional off road clearance is worth it.

I know that many of this board have gone with SAW's up front due to the inconsistencies of the OME lift. I simply wanted to stick with one company for all of the parts plus OME's were cheaper than SAW's. I also noticed that many on the forum have gone with 881's up front and 891's in the rear. It seemed that the rear was consistently 1" taller than the front with this setup. I also saw posts where someone used 890's up front and gained virtually no lift. I figured that by using 881's up front with 2 x trim spacers and 890 coils (lighter duty) in the rear it may level things out a bit. So far I'm sitting 1/2" higher in the rear which is fine with me since I pull a trailer from time to time. I'll just have to see how it holds up over time.

I believe that next may be the deck plate mod and a K&N. I also left an email message for Nuke for the Disco's. I think I need some sliders. I almost installed the Dynomax today. I think I may have a problem.

Thanks again for this great forum.

Scott Davis - New Member
Old 04-28-2003, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, you're jumping right in!

When do we get to see some pics??

Welcome to the forums Scott!
Old 04-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the lifted club and to this board. Regarding the disconnects, you probably aren't going to have any luck with Nuke. Contact Lars if you want a set. I think the design is very similar from what I have heard. There are a couple of us with these. You may contact him from here:

http://www.larsdennert.com/4runner/swaybar
Old 04-29-2003, 09:10 AM
SGD

Thanks for the information regarding the disconnects. I will give them a try.

I took some pics this morning. Here is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails New to the Forum - Just Lifted my 02-100_0088.jpg  
Old 04-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice, great color too!

So when do the performance mods start to help turn those 285's?

Old 04-29-2003, 10:05 AM
SGD

Thanks.
Performance mods will need to start soon. I think a K&N and the deckplate are going to be first. I'm a little concerned about the exhaust upgrade. I don't want anything too loud since I use this vehicle for business travel. I almost had the Dynomax installed yesterday, but chickened out at the last minute.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

I would go Amsoil instead of K&N...especially if you plan on doing any off-roading.

Deckplate is a great place to start. But, you can do the elbow mod instead if you are concerned with noise.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

The noise increase with the deckplate mod is minimal. I also have an 18" Magnaflow (see Corey's exhaust page for sound clips if you haven't already) and love it. I don't think its too loud at all.

Nice Pic!
Old 04-29-2003, 10:44 AM
SGD

I assume you had to cut off the stock muffler with the Dynomax installation. Were you able to clamp the Dynomax in place or was it welded? I was looking at the Dynomax #17747, and I'm concerned about leaks since this is a universal muffler vs. a kit. I'm also worried about destroying my stock muffler in the swap in the event that I can't deal with the noise.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:41 PM

two questions

1: where is stewartsville in relationship to NYC?

2: How much did you pay for the install?

I have the same truck (color and all) and was looking at the same lift combo, seeing those pictures has gotten me fired up for some mods, thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:15 PM
SGD

Stewartsville is 65 miles west of NY City. Basically you follow Route 78 west to Exit 4 (Stewartsville). OK Four Wheel Drive is the largest ARB distributer on the east coast. In fact I bought the lift from them. It cost me aprox. $590 for parts and aprox. $300 for the installation which included the front end alignment. Their labor rates are a little higher than most, but the quality of their workmanship is fantastic. Feel free to check out their web site at http://www.ok4wd.com. If you need more information you can contact Mike at miker@ok4wd.com.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mertztr
The noise increase with the deckplate mod is minimal.
I am going to have to disagree. At WOT, the intake noise with the deckplate is significant over the stock set-up. If I were using my 4Runner for business, say a realtor or something, I would think twice about leaving the deckplate open while shuttling clients, due to the sound when my foot was in it.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:35 PM

SGD,
Thanks for the info.
Guinness
Old 04-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Ditto on the deckplate- you'll notice it. So, it looks like you have 285's on the stock rim? I'm wondering about rubbing off-road, if you did trimming right off the bat. Sounds like alot of people have put 285's on the stock 16X7 rims, but I'm still nervous about the whole safety factor (16X8 is what I'm leaning towards, but it means putting out $$$ for new rims as well).
Old 04-29-2003, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

What is it with the safety factor thing? 285's on 7" wheels are within the recommended specs by manufacturers. Many people run this, and many people still have unwrecked 4Runners, including myself.

Please share where people have had issues with this. Yes, I've heard the theory, but don't you think in today's lawsuit happy world that Goodyear, BF Goodrich, etc. would up the requirements if it were actually unsafe?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:07 PM
SGD

Is this noise basically a howling noise?

Can I simulate this by removing the AirBox cover and taping down the air cleaner?

What about the Dynomax Exhaust does this create a lot of noise in the vehicle?

I don't mind a vehicle that is a little throaty, but I definitely do not want it loud in the cabin.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

I read another post (which I can't find) by someone working at a tire shop, saying that a 7 inch width can't support a tire that wide. On the other hand, I read about everyone whose run tires on those rims with no trouble So, do I have any concrete data other than what some people have said? No. I'm almost convinced that I don't need to worry about it (the tire losing its bead). On the flip side, how is the rubbing off-road with those tires and a 2.5" lift?
Old 04-29-2003, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Not really a howling, you hear the engine alot more clearly. I don't think you'll even notice it except for when you punch it.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

I read another post (which I can't find) by someone working at a tire shop, saying that a 7 inch width can't support a tire that wide.

Sounds like a similar thread a couple posts down where a guy at the dealership said that 4Runners aren't meant to go off-road. Riiiight.

I'm almost convinced that I don't need to worry about it (the tire losing its bead).

Actually, that would be more of a concern with an 8" wheel as it wouldn't suck in the tire as much to hold it on. I haven't seen where anyone with an 8" wheel has had that problem though either when aired down.

how is the rubbing off-road with those tires and a 2.5" lift?

Um, I don't know yet! Still winter on the trails here. I should know more in another month. Others have the usual amount--pretty minor.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:22 PM
SGD

Regarding the 285's on stock 7" wheels. I personally know several people with Ford Pickups (1 with an F150 and 2 with F250's) that are running BFG 285's on 7" rims. To date none of them have had any problems even with heavy trailering and hauling. My friend with the F-250 has over 65 K on his BFG's with no problems and they still have tread.

BFG recommends a minimum of 7.5" wheel width, but it really doesn't look like a hazard on the 7" wheel. I have seen some really scary setups over the years.

Regarding tire rubbing, I do plan to use this vehicle off road (lightly...my wife may be listening) and was concerned with the tires rubbing on the fenders, a arms, and frame. The tires did not rub at all with the vehicle sitting level and it wasn't until we began to flex it a bit that we noticed the trouble spot on the inside rear of the front fender. Rather than worry about it and/or damage anything I asked to have it trimmed. As an added benefit I have lightened my rig by a few ounces.