YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

new clutch sounds/feels bad

Hey, been creepin various offroad tech discussions on this board for a while now, thought id see if anyone could diagnose my annoyance for me before I take my truck back to the shop. A few months ago, I burned my clutch out. thing had needed fixing for way too long, and I was just too busy. Clutch came out, bearings were crispy blocks of carbon. Plate was worn past the rivets. Since this happened right on a busy street, I parked it at a shop (handily located right next to where she went down) and the mechanic actually turned out to be a pretty good guy. ANYWAYS long story short, ive got a brand new clutch (3 tanks of gas, just getting over breakin), and sometimes it squeals really loud for a short period of time just after I start up, and a couple times when I made dumb indecisive shifts while wheeling. In N with my foot off the clutch, it makes a slight whistling noise. is it just the TOB? should this mechanic not have HAD to replace it? should I take it back to him and ask him to give me free labor to get a non defective TOB in there??
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Ekaiiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
Contributing Member

Red face

First there should be no need of any break in of a clutch with any where within 100 horse power of stock. since they are hydraulic no real adjustment unless A new Master Cylinder was installed with no notice of where the rod was.:jessica:

Did you not see the clutch kit before it was installed.

i have seen so many kits made out from returns it is unreal. taking the good pieces till you have a complete kit then sell it again.

The kit should have had a new clutch release bearing if it was installed who knows .

It should not be squealing at any rate.:jessica:
wyoming9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Threadstarter [OP]

yea, I agree... should not be squealing... The whole situation was kind of an emergency, seeing as how I broke down in the middle of a busy road and dont have another vehicle, otherwise i would have done it myself for 1/2 the cost. but i DID see the box from the new one, with ALL the parts (as far as I could tell) INCLUDING the TOB, which was basically a big black chunk wielded to the clutch assembly.
Is it common for new TOBs to be bad quality? or for rubbing on the output shaft to cause noise?
I admit, im a little frustrated because it should not be making any noise, and it is, and I just spent $1000 on it.

Edit: regarding break in: ive noticed it on every other small clutch ive ever had. This one started out with bumpy shifts, as in when I released clutch there was a bit of a knock or thump as the friction surfaces engaged. Now its much smoother, with no bump and lots of power.

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

push in the clutch, if the squealing goes away, most likely a throw out bearing needs to be replaced.

Did you resurface either the new or used flywheel? That contact area is critical for the disc to engage properly
tripz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Threadstarter [OP]

yes it does go away, im fairly certain its something to do with the TOB. but its a brand new one. and a brand new clutch kit, including flywheel. im thinking the input shaft was marked up by the old carbonated TOB and now the new one rubs or wobbles a bit. if the clutch is OUT (ie, pedal is not depressed) and the truck in neutral, you can hear sort of a medium pitched chirping, which is linked to engine RPM.
If I moved the "engage" point in the clutch pedal out further from the floor, would it make the TOB actually actuate more?

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-16-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
totally a bro
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to vital22re
I would go back and question him. At the very least its a warranty on his part and you should get new throw out, possibly new pilot. If I can't do my own work I always ask to see the old parts. Make them prove the work they did.
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TOY View Post
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I NEVER have problems getting my crank off....
.....not sure why so many people have problems.
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Possibly end your existance for a dollar?
vital22re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Threadstarter [OP]

I did see all the old stuff but it was so burned up I couldnt really differentiate things. I really wish I'd taken a picture now, it was pretty amazing that it even went forward... (I drove it right into the shop). Just talked to the guy, he confirms that yes it was a brand new TOB, and said bring it in and Ill take a look. Says it might be a bent fork.
I'm about to head out and get some MAF cleaner, then do that, and adjust pedal travel, and check the condition of my master/slave clutch cylinders.

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
totally a bro
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
Staff

Send a message via AIM to vital22re
A bent fork causing bearing squeel? sounds sketch to me.
92 toyota truck sc'd 3.4, URD 7th injector kit, 2.1 URD pulley, 5spd, 4.30 gears, E locker rear, magna flow cat and muffler, 2 1/2 pipe, isr mod, 1" BL, trail gear sliders, 1.5 bjs front, sway away torsion bars, add a leafs and 2inch lift shackles rear, rancho 5000 265/75/r16 nitto terra grapplers, xrc8 winch in front bumper, rhino lined bed.
RB4R- SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 TOY View Post
you're gonna have so much money, you're gonna have to set it on fire to make room for more
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
I NEVER have problems getting my crank off....
.....not sure why so many people have problems.
Forum Rules
TREADLIGHTLY
Possibly end your existance for a dollar?
vital22re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
clutch, squeal, swap, urd, yotatech