Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

new clutch sounds/feels bad

Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
new clutch sounds/feels bad

Hey, been creepin various offroad tech discussions on this board for a while now, thought id see if anyone could diagnose my annoyance for me before I take my truck back to the shop. A few months ago, I burned my clutch out. thing had needed fixing for way too long, and I was just too busy. Clutch came out, bearings were crispy blocks of carbon. Plate was worn past the rivets. Since this happened right on a busy street, I parked it at a shop (handily located right next to where she went down) and the mechanic actually turned out to be a pretty good guy. ANYWAYS long story short, ive got a brand new clutch (3 tanks of gas, just getting over breakin), and sometimes it squeals really loud for a short period of time just after I start up, and a couple times when I made dumb indecisive shifts while wheeling. In N with my foot off the clutch, it makes a slight whistling noise. is it just the TOB? should this mechanic not have HAD to replace it? should I take it back to him and ask him to give me free labor to get a non defective TOB in there??
Old 01-12-2013, 01:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

First there should be no need of any break in of a clutch with any where within 100 horse power of stock. since they are hydraulic no real adjustment unless A new Master Cylinder was installed with no notice of where the rod was.:jessica:

Did you not see the clutch kit before it was installed.

i have seen so many kits made out from returns it is unreal. taking the good pieces till you have a complete kit then sell it again.

The kit should have had a new clutch release bearing if it was installed who knows .

It should not be squealing at any rate.:jessica:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM

yea, I agree... should not be squealing... The whole situation was kind of an emergency, seeing as how I broke down in the middle of a busy road and dont have another vehicle, otherwise i would have done it myself for 1/2 the cost. but i DID see the box from the new one, with ALL the parts (as far as I could tell) INCLUDING the TOB, which was basically a big black chunk wielded to the clutch assembly.
Is it common for new TOBs to be bad quality? or for rubbing on the output shaft to cause noise?
I admit, im a little frustrated because it should not be making any noise, and it is, and I just spent $1000 on it.

Edit: regarding break in: ive noticed it on every other small clutch ive ever had. This one started out with bumpy shifts, as in when I released clutch there was a bit of a knock or thump as the friction surfaces engaged. Now its much smoother, with no bump and lots of power.

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
push in the clutch, if the squealing goes away, most likely a throw out bearing needs to be replaced.

Did you resurface either the new or used flywheel? That contact area is critical for the disc to engage properly
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 PM

yes it does go away, im fairly certain its something to do with the TOB. but its a brand new one. and a brand new clutch kit, including flywheel. im thinking the input shaft was marked up by the old carbonated TOB and now the new one rubs or wobbles a bit. if the clutch is OUT (ie, pedal is not depressed) and the truck in neutral, you can hear sort of a medium pitched chirping, which is linked to engine RPM.
If I moved the "engage" point in the clutch pedal out further from the floor, would it make the TOB actually actuate more?

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-16-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I would go back and question him. At the very least its a warranty on his part and you should get new throw out, possibly new pilot. If I can't do my own work I always ask to see the old parts. Make them prove the work they did.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:52 AM

I did see all the old stuff but it was so burned up I couldnt really differentiate things. I really wish I'd taken a picture now, it was pretty amazing that it even went forward... (I drove it right into the shop). Just talked to the guy, he confirms that yes it was a brand new TOB, and said bring it in and Ill take a look. Says it might be a bent fork.
I'm about to head out and get some MAF cleaner, then do that, and adjust pedal travel, and check the condition of my master/slave clutch cylinders.

Last edited by Ekaiiscool; 01-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
A bent fork causing bearing squeel? sounds sketch to me.