Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New 3rd Gen (again)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 3rd Gen (again)

Went and picked up a '99 limited 4runner today. Paid $12k for it and there are only 52k on it. Sounds high but that's what they go for here. The best part is when I got there I noticed it has a diff locker and the guy didn't even know what it did lol. But I have a question, I think there's a center diff lock for full time 4wd is this correct? The xfer case stick says 2wd/4wd on one spot then has a button on the side. Anyways, i'll post some pics right away.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my hilux has push button 4wd button on the transfer stick.. then push forward for low....

i was gonna get a 3rd gen but couldnt find one as clean as yours sounds!! they all had 200000kms ++
Old 11-24-2008, 02:55 PM

Pics:

Sorry only had my cell phone cam with me
Old 11-24-2008, 02:59 PM

It's got a saggy rear... I'm thinking an inch or 2 of lift all around might help that a bit. Any suggestions? Getting some new rims and 31x10.5 bfg a/t's for it right away. What should I do engine performance wise? It's mostly street right now which means deep snow and lots of ice where I'm from. Once I've retired my '83 pickup or I buy a newer one this will be for the trails as well.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM

Pulling the lever straight back will be 4wheel high locked center, from there right and up is 4low locked center. In two wheel drive mode push the button in for 4x4 NOT locked center, aka on road 4x4.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon
Pulling the lever straight back will be 4wheel high locked center, from there right and up is 4low locked center. In two wheel drive mode push the button in for 4x4 NOT locked center, aka on road 4x4.
Thanks, that's how I thought it worked just never saw this on any of the other 3rd's I test drove.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 PM

How long should it usually take the locker to engage? Does it only work in 4low and do I have to stop to engage it?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Yes, you should stop to engage it. It only works in 4Lo in stock form. However, there is a gray wire mod you can do that will lock it in 2WD, 4WD HI/LO. Search in the tech section.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by AP4CHE
How long should it usually take the locker to engage? Does it only work in 4low and do I have to stop to engage it?
Without modification, the locker will only engage in 4Lo. If the previous owner did not even know what it was then the odds are they never used it. So it may take time to engage. Also it sometimes help to creep forward and crank the steering wheel a few times.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
Without modification, the locker will only engage in 4Lo. If the previous owner did not even know what it was then the odds are they never used it. So it may take time to engage. Also it sometimes help to creep forward and crank the steering wheel a few times.
Originally Posted by cackalak han
Yes, you should stop to engage it. It only works in 4Lo in stock form. However, there is a gray wire mod you can do that will lock it in 2WD, 4WD HI/LO. Search in the tech section.
Thanks for the info. Is there recomended maintainence I should do since it was probably never used?
Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 PM

What should I do engine performance wise?
Big $: TRD Supercharger
Mid $: Cat-back exhaust
Lower $: Seafoam the fuel system, clean MAF, deckplate mod

For many more performance ideas check out http://www.urdusa.com/

Last edited by 4Runner4Christ; 11-24-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Went and picked up a '99 limited 4runner today. Paid $12k for it and there are only 52k on it. Sounds high but that's what they go for here. The best part is when I got there I noticed it has a diff locker and the guy didn't even know what it did lol. But I have a question, I think there's a center diff lock for full time 4wd is this correct? The xfer case stick says 2wd/4wd on one spot then has a button on the side. Anyways, i'll post some pics right away.
Hey man, I'm assuming you know all this but I feel obligated to tell ya just in case you don't. I live in Sasktoon too and I had looked at that 4Runner from the dealership on a farm in Dodsland, SK (see my post on this website about this particular 4Runner). I found out that the vehicle was from Red Deer, AB and was stolen once and shows as a total write-off in Alberta. I'm not sure why there was a write-off on the vehicle but there were also a couple of body panels replaced. Not sure how straight the frame is if it was in an accident and written off. There was a "problem with the cluster" and it was changed out so the odometer is only showing 52K but the vehicle actually has 160K on it. The vehicle was bought and sold between several dealers and owners before finding it's last home with you. If you have any questions, feel free to post and I'll answer them if I can. I hope you knew all this and took it into your decision to purchase.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

52k? It's barely broke in;I thought the 70k my mom has on her '99 Limited was low.

Congrats on the truck.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e-locker. just use it ten times and loosen it up. no maint required

and use it once in a while to make sure it is loose. if it hasn't
even been used the tolerances are tight and it won't engage immediately
all the time. creep fwd and back and it will eventually !kerClang! and engage

4wd (awd mode) if you have a push button and your
dashboard blinks and then goes to 4 green wheels but
no orange light in middle, you do have the awd mode.

you can leave it in awd forever it you want, it is designed that way
the only 99 was the limited that had this...so yes that is what u got
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cj_rezz
Hey man, I'm assuming you know all this but I feel obligated to tell ya just in case you don't. I live in Sasktoon too and I had looked at that 4Runner from the dealership on a farm in Dodsland, SK (see my post on this website about this particular 4Runner). I found out that the vehicle was from Red Deer, AB and was stolen once and shows as a total write-off in Alberta. I'm not sure why there was a write-off on the vehicle but there were also a couple of body panels replaced. Not sure how straight the frame is if it was in an accident and written off. There was a "problem with the cluster" and it was changed out so the odometer is only showing 52K but the vehicle actually has 160K on it. The vehicle was bought and sold between several dealers and owners before finding it's last home with you. If you have any questions, feel free to post and I'll answer them if I can. I hope you knew all this and took it into your decision to purchase.
I knew about the write off and only the one panel was replaced on it. The guy agreed to have it inspected for me and I brought it to a shop where they said it was in perfect condition structurally and mechanically. I just looked at the bill of sale and he did write 160k actual and the ad says that too, I just saw that on the odo. I did check the background of the vehicle and he gave me a warranty because of it, some of my family know him well I'm sure he won't rip me off.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 4Runner4Christ
For Actual HP Gain: TRD Supercharger
For NO Gains and waste of money: Cat-back exhaust, deckplate mod, and any other bolt-on's.
Fixed
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM

I do wanna supercharge it, probably wait untill next summer for that though. I also have an '83 pickup that will be eating my money for a while too though.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:38 AM

It's got a saggy rear... I'm thinking an inch or 2 of lift all around might help that a bit. Any suggestions? Getting some new rims and 31x10.5 bfg a/t's for it right away. What should I do engine performance wise? It's mostly street right now which means deep snow and lots of ice where I'm from. Once I've retired my '83 pickup or I buy a newer one this will be for the trails as well.
I'm a big proponent of OME lifts. I have the 881 front 906 rear coils, and they are perfect for freeway driving, towing, and they flex really well. Also, you can run stock tires or slightly larger, it's your call. I've heard that Performance Products sells coils that are really similar as well. If you get the OME coils, I recommend getting the matching shocks - they're pricey, but you'll love your rig even more. I got my stuff at toyteclifts.com

As for wheels & tires, you won't be able to put 15" wheels on there, since they won't clear the calipers without some grinding. You may already know that, but 31x10.50 is a 15" tire size. If you go 2 inches, you can fit up to 255/85/16 (33x10.50) or 265/75/15 (close to 32"), or keep the same tire size you have now.
Be sure and put up pics when you get it done!

It's funny - my 4runner was originally owned in Canada, then stolen and recovered (total loss), then shipped to the US for sale here.

Last edited by 4biker; 11-25-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by 4biker
I'm a big proponent of OME lifts. I have the 881 front 906 rear coils, and they are perfect for freeway driving, towing, and they flex really well. Also, you can run stock tires or slightly larger, it's your call. I've heard that Performance Products sells coils that are really similar as well. If you get the OME coils, I recommend getting the matching shocks - they're pricey, but you'll love your rig even more. I got my stuff at toyteclifts.com

As for wheels & tires, you won't be able to put 15" wheels on there, since they won't clear the calipers without some grinding. You may already know that, but 31x10.50 is a 15" tire size. If you go 2 inches, you can fit up to 255/85/16 (33x10.50) or 265/75/15 (close to 32"), or keep the same tire size you have now.
Be sure and put up pics when you get it done!

It's funny - my 4runner was originally owned in Canada, then stolen and recovered (total loss), then shipped to the US for sale here.
I didn't know 31x10.5's only came for 15' rims, I wanna keep the tires close to stock I have no plans to regear this. I'm gonna buy tires and rims at the same time, I want some nice black rims. Thanks for the link too I'll be getting my lift from there those prices look good. If I lift 2" is there anything else I have to do? Brake lines or anything like that?

I don't want a huge lift or anything I just want it to be a bit more capable and look nicer. The only offroading this will see is when I go camping or fishing and will be mild stuff, I have my pickup for everything else like hunting and trails.

The supercharger will come after a set of headers and a few other bolt-ons. I know bolt-ons usually don't make much difference alone but when I get the supercharger everything together should add up nicely.

What would it take to put a set of heated front seats in?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM

I didn't know 31x10.5's only came for 15' rims, I wanna keep the tires close to stock I have no plans to regear this. I'm gonna buy tires and rims at the same time, I want some nice black rims. Thanks for the link too I'll be getting my lift from there those prices look good. If I lift 2" is there anything else I have to do? Brake lines or anything like that?

I don't want a huge lift or anything I just want it to be a bit more capable and look nicer. The only offroading this will see is when I go camping or fishing and will be mild stuff, I have my pickup for everything else like hunting and trails.

The supercharger will come after a set of headers and a few other bolt-ons. I know bolt-ons usually don't make much difference alone but when I get the supercharger everything together should add up nicely.

What would it take to put a set of heated front seats in?
Yeah, get the OME's. The best price I saw was at trdparts4u.com.

For heated seats, any of your local stereo shops will be able to do that, since you already have leather. Last time, a shop quoted me ~$200 for two seats.

Quick Reply: New 3rd Gen (again)