95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New '02 T4R Sport 4x4 - have questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '02 T4R Sport 4x4 - have questions

Okay, I finally found one in pretty good shape, it just needs some... well TLC

Anyhow, here are my questions for now about some "issues":

1) Driving around, the rear lift gate "creaks". Normal? Ignore it?

2) The driver side fog light is out. Does it have a bulb, or do I replace the whole thing?

3) The top radiator hose collapses under vacuum after I shut off the engine... Radiator cap? The overflow tank is 1/2 full. It isn't overheating.

4) I need a passenger side headlight assembly, the lens is cracked and the reflector inside is deteriorating. Anyone got one they don't need?

5) I can feel that the steering rack is getting worn out. Go with Toyota or is an aftermarket rack okay here?

Let's start with that... There will be more to come in this thread.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by TRDTacoma
Okay, I finally found one in pretty good shape, it just needs some... well TLC

Anyhow, here are my questions for now about some "issues":

1) Driving around, the rear lift gate "creaks". Normal? Ignore it?

2) The driver side fog light is out. Does it have a bulb, or do I replace the whole thing?

3) The top radiator hose collapses under vacuum after I shut off the engine... Radiator cap? The overflow tank is 1/2 full. It isn't overheating.

4) I need a passenger side headlight assembly, the lens is cracked and the reflector inside is deteriorating. Anyone got one they don't need?

5) I can feel that the steering rack is getting worn out. Go with Toyota or is an aftermarket rack okay here?

Let's start with that... There will be more to come in this thread.

Most of these I don't really know about, but the last one, I would say you should do some troubleshooting of this "worn out" feeling in the steering before you buy anything. Do you have steering wobble? What is making you think the rack is worn out (what's the symptom)? There are alot of things that affect the steering, and frankly the rack is one of the least likely causes. It could be suspension, tie rod ends, steering rack guide, lbj, etc (all of which usually wear out long before the rack does). I had pretty bad wobble and it turned out to be the worn out suspension. I don't understand how the suspension affected steering the way it did, but it certainly was 90%+ of the problem.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
1) WD40 or turn up the radio
2) Look
3) Replace OEM
4) Replace - junkyard, CL, EBay
5) Bushing Kit

:wabbit2:
Old 06-09-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
Most of these I don't really know about, but the last one, I would say you should do some troubleshooting of this "worn out" feeling in the steering before you buy anything. Do you have steering wobble? What is making you think the rack is worn out (what's the symptom)? There are alot of things that affect the steering, and frankly the rack is one of the least likely causes. It could be suspension, tie rod ends, steering rack guide, lbj, etc (all of which usually wear out long before the rack does). I had pretty bad wobble and it turned out to be the worn out suspension. I don't understand how the suspension affected steering the way it did, but it certainly was 90%+ of the problem.
Well, the symptom is that there is a "notch" or kinda gap right in the middle. Sloppy in the middle is a way to say it - but just a tiny bit each way.

Other than that the steering is tight and there is no wobble. I'll look closer at the other steering components. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 AM

Okay...

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
1) WD40 or turn up the radio Do you think it's the hinges or the latch? I lubed all the bumpers on the gate.
2) Look
3) Replace OEM
4) Replace - junkyard, CL, EBay
5) Bushing Kit Polyurethane or OEM?
:wabbit2:
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get the poly kit from Wheeler's:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/4runnerrackbushkit.htm
Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Collapsing radiator hose fixed...

Well, the new radiator cap fixed the collapsing radiator hose issue.

I also fixed my broken antenna mast. Pretty easy job...

Did lots of little things that had been neglected by the PO. Oil change with Mobil 1, drain/fill tranny, front brakes and rotors. Diffs and Xfer are next with synthetic gear oil...

A couple of HVAC lights were out, so I have those ready to go in once I tear into the dash...

I need a rear cup holder thing that is in the back of the console. Mine is broken on one side...

I'm totally diggin' the 4Runner... I loved my Taco, but this is becoming a pretty fun build. Some great potential here

I'm ordering a Sonoran Steel 7.2 Monday, then putting on Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75R16 once the lift is on.

More to come... Thanks to everyone for the advice/info...