Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Never complain at Toyota...you could have a Ford !

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Never complain at Toyota...you could have a Ford !

I have an piece of American History.... a glorious 85 F-150 which is my every day hauling/beater truck

I had to rebuild the carb this weekend and managed to get all the internal parts I need direct from Holley who searched the carb via the P/N stamped on it.

So, I go to the Ford stealer today to get some Sundry parts I need and I have VIN , Carb type and Holley Part number (Made for Motorcraft by Holley).

I start to say Carb and the sooper helpful parts counter lowlife says "Carb, you know Ford have not made a vehicle with a Carb since 1985, why do you want Carb parts ?"

I feel like saying I am gonna retrofit a Holley to my 2004 F-150 Crewcab but instead say " well, my trucks a 1985"

Parts lowlife " Whats the carb tag number"

Me "I don't have it but I do..."

PL "Can't help you"

"But I have a VIN and the Holley P/N thats stamped..."

PL "Can't help without the tag"

" Is there no way ? Another dealer told me what carb it was so we could get the repair kit...its a 4180 4 barrel with .."

PL "Can't help you !!!"

Me " Can't help, or won't help ?"

So, I go to NAPA and a dude there hooks me up with all that I need ....

So, next time you are bizzatching bout Yota....

They ain't all bad
Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 AM

haha that made me laugh. I can laugh, right?
Old 02-16-2004, 11:09 AM

I feel your pain.

I drove a 73 ford F-100 as a daily beater with a 360 V8 POS

A few days ago I read that Ford fuel injection systems use a boo switch.
Break off/on switch told the ECM to shut off the A/C compressor, and make other changes. So, if you brake light was out, the vehicle would run like crap. Think about it. A freak'in brake light.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Banned

I can relate. I found out that a friend of my wife's had a brother who was a mechanic at a Ford dealership. I figured I could ask him a couple questions about something wrong with a vehicle and he told me he would have to bring the car in and hook it up to diagnostics. He honestly had no other clue on anything to suggest. He was an ignorant pawn, which I now know is the case of most dealership mechanics.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I wish I could count how many times our Ford Explorer Sport Trac has been in and out of the dealer since we got the thing 3 years ago
Old 02-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

That's too funny.

I have a 1978 F-250 with the 400 V8, and ordering parts for that has been pretty easy. And there cheap compared to Toyota parts.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

WAIT A SECOND...Stop bashing ford when you are really bashing the Dealer Parts Department instead. THERE ARE MANY MANY stories on this board about poor TOYOTA dealership experiences. I got nothing but great service from Ford when I lived in Detroit and now that I live in St. Louis.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not the manufacturer nor the parts department, I think it was the moron behind the counter. I've gone to Ford parts counters to get parts for my Toyota (yes, that's what I said) and had no trouble at all. Same thing with Chevrolet. One parts guy spent more than an hour pulling various tranny kickdown cables to show me until I found the one I wanted for my Toyota.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by toy283
It's not the manufacturer nor the parts department, I think it was the moron behind the counter. I've gone to Ford parts counters to get parts for my Toyota (yes, that's what I said) and had no trouble at all. Same thing with Chevrolet. One parts guy spent more than an hour pulling various tranny kickdown cables to show me until I found the one I wanted for my Toyota.

Err hello...story intended for light relief purposes only.

I bought the dang Ford didn't I, who is the fool :pat:

The issue is I have a 19yr old vehicle...did I say all Ford's suck ? Besides, Toyota don't have a V8 2WD full size pickup with a Holley 4 Barrel...what was I supposed to buy
in order to torment myelf to this extent
Old 02-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

I should probably reiterate - our work truck has gone in and out of the dealership for things that were "supposedly" fixed.

Small things too - bed extender locks, DC outlets, etc, etc...
Old 02-17-2004, 05:13 PM

Thumbs down

I've had much better luck with warranty claims at the poor lowly ford dealer than with my toyota dealers (I've gone through 2 of them so far) the ford people went out of their way to get the warranty work done before the warranty ran out.As far as needing the carb tag, I work for IH and our system is set up the same way. Unless you have the old parts books the old stuff doesn't come up on the computer system :cry:
Old 02-17-2004, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

I am a service advisor for a local Ford dealer. This is the 2nd ford dealer I have worked for--at the first dealer they would not take in vehicles over 10 years old. That is because there were no techs that could diagnose things without a scanner.
The dealer I am at now has some old timers that can still do valve jobs and rebuild carbs.

Sounds like most of the problem is with parts departments. Almost all of the older stuff is available at NAPA and other aftermarket stores.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:13 PM

Funny you mention bad service from FORD.

I was just down there the other day to exchange a part that was never finished when it came out of the factory and the parts representative was extremely rude and completely ignorant to what I was telling him.

I was exchaning a steering rod for an F-350 which weighs in at about twenty pounds of pure steel, I was about to knock him right over with it.

This has not been the first time I've dealth with FORD service centers. Also, I hate the parts building, it's too dark and gloomy.

TOYOTA's parts building is nice and lit, make shopping a bit nice.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
So, next time you are bizzatching bout Yota....

Unless your local Yota stealership has a 35%+ mark-up over retail on parts
Old 02-17-2004, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by amusement
I feel your pain.

I drove a 73 ford F-100 as a daily beater with a 360 V8 POS

Break off/on switch told the ECM to shut off the A/C compressor, and make other changes. So, if you brake light was out, the vehicle would run like crap. Think about it. A freak'in brake light.
I call BS. My brake light is out on my 91 Bronco. Runs fine.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by toy283
it was the moron behind the counter.
I agree
Old 02-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
I feel like saying I am gonna retrofit a Holley to my 2004 F-150 Crewcab but instead say " well, my trucks a 1985"
Old 02-17-2004, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by amusement

Kudos to ford! I can't stand people who have a brake light or more out, or any light for that matter, blinkers, head lights, etc... Honestly, its not that hard or expensive to replace the dang bulbs, and its dangerous if you don't. I can't count the number of times using all of my extremeties when teh person in front of me has had all but their third brake light (which on some SUV's is hard to spot) out, or all of them out. And don't people notice their 160BPM blinkers??? Don't they have a clue about their blinker being out? And who can claim ignorance of a headlight out, when you can clearly see them reflecting back at you when you are stopped behind another car! [/rant]

And yes, I think its the dumb tech. Honestly some people are just morons and won't listen. Like my friend who is looking for an 84 toyota because he doesn't believe me that 85's came with a solid axle, even though there are two of them in my school's parking lot
Old 02-17-2004, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by fiend
I call BS. My brake light is out on my 91 Bronco. Runs fine.

Fiend and EDGE here your evidence ..
Page 95 of Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control for 1988-1993 EEC-IV systems .. I qoute

The Brake On/Off (Boo) signal comes from the stoplamp switch. When the brakes are applied, the BOO signal to the control module can cause:

*Short-time brake applciation-3to5 seconds cut off of AC compressor circuit and engine cooling fan
*Longtime brake applciation-idel cut-off of AC compressor circuit; also increased idle rpm.

This is one of those "gotchas" because a burned out stoplamp buld, or open circuitcan cause engine control problems. And you would never think to check that circuit, would you? when they called this the BOO switch, someone at Ford had a sense of humor

End qoute
Old 02-17-2004, 09:15 PM

holley carbs are a pain. edelbrock is so much easier!

Quick Reply: Never complain at Toyota...you could have a Ford !