Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

NEED YOUR HELP! - Snappin Endlinks....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED YOUR HELP! - Snappin Endlinks....

Well, now this is the second set of endlinks I've gone through in the past 3 months for the front swaybar. Earlier this year I installed Addco front and rear swaybars with the help of the extensive write-ups that yotatech members have done for this mod. Everything went according to plan and the bars went on without a hitch. Concerning the front - I decided to re-use the front Toyota end links as they have a ball joint built into the lower part and I wanted to retain that feature. The only issue with this was that these parts seemed to be pretty well worn, but I figured that I'd just replace them once they wore out.
Well, wouldn't you know it, that lasted about a week!! The right side endlink snapped in a place that I had noticed some significant corrosion upon the install, so I wrote it off to old worn-out parts. (The other side broke a couple days later when I was waiting for parts to arrive)

So, now I got two brand new shiny Toyota endlinks and everythings great, right? Wrong!!! I haven't been driving very hard as of late but I've noticed that the rig had seemed to feel a bit sloppy at times. Finally, and with much dread, I checked under the truck and wouldn't you know it - both endlinks are cleanly snapped in exactly the same spot - right above the stem, at the base of where the bushings rest. Has anyone else had this problem??

What I think the problem is, is that the addco bar was made a bit longer than the stock bar. As such, when using the Toyota endlinks, they do not line up perpendicular to the mounting holes and thus have to be installed at an angle rather than straight up and down (like the rears). Hence, when cornering, the enhanced force created by the larger swaybar gets translated to the side of the link (like breaking a branch with your hands) rather than straight down the shaft. Does this make sense? What do you think? Sorry about the long post......

Brad
Old 06-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Pics man, pics!
Old 06-09-2003, 11:57 AM

I will post pics once I get home from work - don't you worry. Sorry, I just had to get this post out there cause it's drivin me nuts.....
Old 06-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

I understand. That will help a lot to see what you are talking about.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Addco up front and stock rear sway bars and I've snapped one set of endlinks in the past two years. I'm running some junkyard endlinks right now and I have set of two inch longer nukes that I'll install after I lift. Try upgrading to energy suspensions greasable bushings, I did it and the junkyard endlinks have been holding up well.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

The Addco swaybar is too stiff for the stock endlinks.

You will need to rebuild the NUKE discos as well. The Addco bar is soo thick you'll need to replace the threaded shafts with longer stock. Once you "quick" disconnect them, you will not get them back on.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:59 PM

I've had front and rear Addcos for around 3 years now and have had no problems with my stock endlinks. I also run 285's with a 3" lift for added stress and still no problems.

The only thing that I can think of is that you may be overtightening the endlink bolts and or the bushing bolts. Also there may not be enough lubrication at the bushings so the bar violently snaps from side to side vs. sliding. The bar is meant to have some play in it and give just a little.

I may be totally wrong, but like I said no problems for me.

Last edited by Lifer; 06-10-2003 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

No problems here either. As Lifer said, do not tighten down the end-link bushings too far, just enough to have a little compression on them.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:55 AM

Here they are - (pics)

Sorry, it took so long. Here are the pics I took of the snapped endlinks. As you can see, both endlinks broke off in the same place. Well, pictures sometimes speak louder than words, so check em out.......

Old 06-10-2003, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

I would say that the bushings were too tight. That addco is quite a bit thicker at the ends.