Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need some websites why K&N is bad

Old 06-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some websites why K&N is bad

my brother is buying a second gen because he only has 5k (lord have mercy on him). he said he's gonna put a K&N in it as soon as he gets it, i told him that's a bad idea. i need some beef on why it's bad

whos got those links?!? i searched but way too many results came up
Old 06-22-2003, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

i think gadgets site has that doesnt it?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

found what i was thinking of..
http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduc...0air%20filter:

Last edited by doink; 06-22-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by doink
thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 09:06 AM

KN isn't BAD!

You don't even know why KN's are bad but you're telling your brother that crap? I've got a KN on every vehicle and ATV I own. I've never had one problem at all..
Old 06-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kaneman23
You don't even know why KN's are bad but you're telling your brother that crap? I've got a KN on every vehicle and ATV I own. I've never had one problem at all..
Originally posted by doink
i do now
Old 06-23-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N's aren't bad. With all respect to Gadget, he's one individual. The claims of them letting impurities through are, in the case of all K&N's I've owned, unfounded. I just cleaned my TB for the first time after having the FIPK on my rig for 5 years. It was remarkably clean. If you keep them oiled as recommended, they perform flawlessly in my experience.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:39 AM

you would have to be a moron to trust this guy entirely. do you realize he sells amsoil filters?
Old 06-23-2003, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A lot of people on the ttora boards have said they found dust on the engine side of the kn filter. That's probably where the bad rep came from. A lot of people also say they don't like kn because you can see daylight through the filter. I haven't heard of anybody complain about dust on the wrong side of an amsoil or stock filter. My good friend practically lives at the dunes and he swears by amsoil. He dumps about 1/2 cup of sand out of his filter when he's done at the dunes.

Personally, I didn't feel any gains from the kn drop in filter in my 3.0. I switched back to stock. If anybody local wants my kn filter, they can have it.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

I have ran both filters in my 3.4's. I do lots of wheelin in the desert. I was very disturbed by the amount of dust I found after the K&N filter. However, upon switching to an Amsoil filter, I have yet to experience the same thing.

Never again will I buy a K&N filter for an off-road vehicle.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 97 T-100
you would have to be a moron to trust this guy entirely. do you realize he sells amsoil filters?
True, but he's also one of the single most knowledgable people on this board, so his opinions carry some weight. Plus quite a large number of people now swear by Amsoil (air filters, oil, etc) and that helps.

FWIW, I also noticed dust inside my intake past the K&N. Lots of gunk on the throttle body, but I doubt it was ever cleaned before I got to it at 86k miles either.

One thing I noticed with the K&N - It's SMALLER than the stock filter!! It does NOT make a tight seal. If you have one, try this - inside your airbox, one by one (including the ones on the lid) gently pry on the metal clips that push the filter against the airbox so that they push harder - i.e. make the gap a bit wider on the clips. Then put the filter back in, you'll notice a much tighter seal this way. When it was original, I could wiggle the k&n and actually see gaps between the filter and the airbox, which is exactly what happens from driving vibration, especially offroading.

I am still going to try an Amsoil filter to see what happens, but for those of you with K&N who don't want to switch, try this trick and see what happens.

Also FWIW I have run K&N for a while now, I use it on my bike and past vehicles have had them; they do work pretty good, but some day I would like to see clinical lab tests from an unbiased 3rd party on which filters pass more particulates for a given airflow.

Oh, if you don't oil the K&N properly, you're screwed. You can have too much and too little. People have trashed $400 MAF's by putting too much on (it seeps through and coats the hot wire), and with too little you won't filter nearly as well. After cleaning them completely and letting them dry, from about 6" back spray the pleats on the filter straight on (not at an angle). Going along the pleats it should take you 1 second to move your hand across the length of the filter. Do this in strips as wide as the spray will allow until you have gone over the whole thing. Let it dry for 15 min, then go back over and very briefly spray over any remaining white spots to cover them up. This puts the right amount of oil on the filter, and seems to work the best in my experience (and I've been oiling these things for years).

Last edited by denverbikeguy; 06-23-2003 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by denverbikeguy
One thing I noticed with the K&N - It's SMALLER than the stock filter!! It does NOT make a tight seal. If you have one, try this - inside your airbox, one by one (including the ones on the lid) gently pry on the metal clips that push the filter against the airbox so that they push harder - i.e. make the gap a bit wider on the clips. Then put the filter back in, you'll notice a much tighter seal this way.
Great point, and very true. I did the same thing to remedy the problem, then I just ditched the stupid thing all together. I felt kinda bad selling it to the poor soul on ebay for $50.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

Here is the oil analysis from someone running a K&N filter for close to 5,000 miles.

http://www.tn-tacomas.com/maintenan...ilAnalysis.html

After searching around a bit, I ran across a PDF file from the Tennesse Tacoma club that pretty clearly shows that K&N beats AMSOIL in performance. Now, as far as filtering capability, I don't think the K&N stacks up, and I'd be more likely to use an AMSOIL in real dusty conditions. But for performance, the K&N seems to be the way to go. The Tacoma testing was done with the 3.4L V6, the same engine the majority of are probably using. The link to their file is:

http://www.tn-tacomas.com/mods/dyno...el%20Graphs.pdf
Old 06-23-2003, 03:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Robinhood150
I haven't heard of anybody complain about dust on the wrong side of an amsoil or stock filter.
I've seen very fine dust on the inside of my airbox with a stock filter. It was after following someone down dusty roads quite a few times though. What's a good brand paper filter (other than Toyota, one that doesn't cost too much)?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:29 PM

Suggest to your brother he get either a 1st gen w/ 22RE and 5 speed, or if not, a 2nd gen w/ 22RE and 5 speed. The 3.0 is not worth getting, you will eventually want to replace it, and you can bolt in a supra engine to the 22RE w/ 5 speed.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by denverbikeguy
Oh, if you don't oil the K&N properly, you're screwed. You can have too much and too little. People have trashed $400 MAF's by putting too much on (it seeps through and coats the hot wire), and with too little you won't filter nearly as well.
I accidentlly over oiled the K&N I had on my 2000 Maxima SE and it caused some bogging at WOT. Took it to the dealer (since I wasn't putting 2 and 2 together). They cleaned the oil out of the MAF and said it would not damage the MAF, it would just need to be cleaned out if it happened again.

Not enough oil will not let it filter properly, but also won't damage the MAF. I've been told this by a dealer mechanic (OK, at Nissan, but still a mechanic)

Last edited by Cebby; 06-23-2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Robinhood150
Personally, I didn't feel any gains from the kn drop in filter in my 3.0. I switched back to stock. If anybody local wants my kn filter, they can have it.
Bring it to pismo, i'm sure my brother will want it when he gets his second gen
Old 06-23-2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Suggest to your brother he get either a 1st gen w/ 22RE and 5 speed, or if not, a 2nd gen w/ 22RE and 5 speed. The 3.0 is not worth getting, you will eventually want to replace it, and you can bolt in a supra engine to the 22RE w/ 5 speed.
How does that work? Get a 4cyl, because the V6 is underpowered, or something? lol.. :pat:
Why don't you guys sell your 3.0's and stop b!tchin if you hate 'em so much?

hehe ok, sorry about that, I just like the 3.0 really. It gets me around, and I feel it does a pretty good job, anyway.. just my opinion on the 3.0, like you guys have yours.

Last edited by Silver954Runner; 06-23-2003 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:25 PM

hahah this is offtopic but i just read your sig ^ .... gotta love Arizona Pinstripes!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by descendents
hahah this is offtopic but i just read your sig ^ .... gotta love Arizona Pinstripes!
hehe yes, I have quite a bit, it looks good to me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some websites why K&N is bad