Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some feedback

Ok ive been searching around alot of old threads,but havent been able to get the info i want,My 3vze is having a few little problems that point to a few differant faults.So i need some feedback from you lot.
Here are my symptons.
1 ) My engine has a slight miss ,its not constant but maybe every 3-4 seconds during idle.its not noticable any other time.

2 ) when ive been driving for a little while around town & then stop for 10-15 minutes.I occasionaly start it up again & its running really slow & rough.if i turn it off again & restart,its fine.Yes this does sound a bit like a sticky Egr or the dreaded Head gasket.but i dont have any white stuff coming from my exhuast or any contamination of water or oil.I took of my Egr the other day & it looked not to differant from a chimney flu.but it was functional in a mechanical sense(when i sucked on the line),i tried to clean it up a bit but it wasnt very affective.

3 ) in the last two weeks i have notice that gurgling sound of water flowing through the dash that i have read about.My coolant level seams fine(& I havent had to top it up since Ive owned it = about 10 months) & the heater works fine .I am sure that the radiator cap is overdue for replacement & i will do so ,but thought i should mention it anyway.

4 ) above all I get poor mileage,& irratic perfomance sometimes it feels really good ,then later that day or week it feels sluggish.

NB , Plugs & dist cap have just been replaced as well as air & Fuel Filters .& the TB is clean ,although i didnt take it off to clean it.

So what do you think ,you feedback is appretiated
Old 07-01-2004, 05:12 AM

I see that you performed the Airbox Mod.

Make sure that all of your connections are tight. Any air leaks causes mine to miss or idle rough.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:06 AM

Hate to tell you, could be the HG. Mine took about 3-4 months to finally go 100%. I had an idea it was going bad, like I'm sure you do. Normal pressure and vacuum checks, but I would lose about a quart of H20 every week or so. I also had and erratic idle problem. It would sometimes miss on fire up and then burn off the water and run great.

On the old HG you could see a small rivlet of coolant that finally gave way. I torqued the heads down about three months before it finally went and I think that bought me some time. The week I took it in it broke two plugs in #6 cylinder. The water would flash cool the ceramic and crack it.

Hope that is not what it is. Buuttttttttt, it sounds possible. The Toyota HG was strange because it didn't go overtly like I am used to seeing them go. It sneaked up on me. No boom, just drip, drip, drip.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by okidoc
Hate to tell you, could be the HG. Mine took about 3-4 months to finally go 100%. I had an idea it was going bad, like I'm sure you do. Normal pressure and vacuum checks, but I would lose about a quart of H20 every week or so. I also had and erratic idle problem. It would sometimes miss on fire up and then burn off the water and run great.

On the old HG you could see a small rivlet of coolant that finally gave way. I torqued the heads down about three months before it finally went and I think that bought me some time. The week I took it in it broke two plugs in #6 cylinder. The water would flash cool the ceramic and crack it.

Hope that is not what it is. Buuttttttttt, it sounds possible. The Toyota HG was strange because it didn't go overtly like I am used to seeing them go. It sneaked up on me. No boom, just drip, drip, drip.
yes i am a little worried about the HG,but im not losing any fluid,or having any problems starting from cold.so fingers crossed.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:37 PM

bump, hoping for some more response,i know these threads get beaten to death,but ive spent hours searching.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:18 PM

Im leaning towards My EGR being at fault,as there seems to be no other symtoms of HG failure,& the poor idle is very random.also i did my ISR Mod yesterday,& it hasnt had much trouble after that,The idle is a little slower at times but not to the point of stalling.I suspected that my stock intake was leaking a little bit.so this may have been part of the problem.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:34 PM

I have a new theory.I have not noticed the low idle after stopping so bad since i have put on my new intake(ISR).So im sure there was a air leak.
Also i have a feeling that after the runner has been sitting after driving for a little while ,the air inside the engine bay gets very hot.Even the old stock intake pipe was to hot to touch.This inturn heats up all the air that gets sucked into the motor untill you get moving & cold air comes in.so this is perhaps the reason that the engine could run poor after restart.
Some of you with FIPK may have noticed this?