Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need some advice on SC'd 4runner purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on SC'd 4runner purchase

This is what I know. Its a 2000 SR5 Sport. 143,000 miles on it. The TRD Supercharger was installed at 96K along with a new timing belt by a dealer. It also has the TRD Headers and TRD exhaust on it. It does have the E-locker rear as well.

Other than that its pretty much stock, or he hasn't mentioned anything other than that. He claims that synthetics were used with Lucas additives. I know this should never be a selling point since everyone sells a car for a reason.

My question is in regards to the supercharger and motor. Its got 47K on it since installed and I am curious about the reliability and longevity of the motor. He did say that the supercharger oil and stuff was changed recently. Any advice on this? I have never owned a supercharged rig, but have heard of them needing maintenance every 50K or so which worries me. All my experience is with 22REs and 3.slows.

What kind of mileage should I expect? Can I run normal 87 Octane or does it need premium? Any issues with high elevations? What upgrades should have been done or will need to be done to it because of the supercharger? From searching, it looks like a tranny cooler will be needed. What else?

The general plan for this rig for the first 8 months is simply as a daily driver for my wife. However, I own an offroad and fabrication shop, and I will eventually use this rig as the marketing base for the business. The plan would be to drop a Diamond front axle underneath it, 5.29s, HP E-locker front, and 37s. However, I will immediately put on an OME 2.5" lift and some 285s on it since it needs tires anyway.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 PM

This would be the goal:
Old 09-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
This would be the goal:

how in the hell was that done
Old 09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably a Photo shop job where they just deleted the flex ramp. Cool though.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM

It's called a fork lift. You can see it holding the tire up, and in the reflection of the runner.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Not quite, look very closely at the rear tire. There is a "grey matter" near the bottom of the tire that is evident of a photoshop job. Also if it is a fortlift, where is the other fork? Anyway, back to topic: the Supercharged 3.4 liter may not require premium fuel, but it would be a real good idea to put premium in it. At least 89 octane, otherwise, you may start to get some pinging. If you can't get premium, just put regular in it, and top off with the good stuff ASAP. Shouldn't hurt anything, just don't make a habit out of it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
Not quite, look very closely at the rear tire. There is a "grey matter" near the bottom of the tire that is evident of a photoshop job. Also if it is a fortlift, where is the other fork? Anyway, back to topic: the Supercharged 3.4 liter may not require premium fuel, but it would be a real good idea to put premium in it. At least 89 octane, otherwise, you may start to get some pinging. If you can't get premium, just put regular in it, and top off with the good stuff ASAP. Shouldn't hurt anything, just don't make a habit out of it.
That "gray matter" is the fork. If the camera is held at the same height of the fork, then the other fork would not be able to be seen since it would be behind the front fork.

I do not see any evidence of a doctored picture.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:31 PM

Here is a quick photoshop job.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

Good point.....well taken.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Contributing Member

You need to run premium fuel with a SC, it should also have the proper fuel upgrades (like the ones URD sells seen at this link http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518512) or some similar fuel upgrade kit. Having had the supercharger on for that long without the proper fuel mods may have shortened the life of the SC and engine. I'm no expert on superchargers, but there are definitely some guys on here who are, so hopefully they will chime in
Old 09-12-2007, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kaleb
That "gray matter" is the fork. If the camera is held at the same height of the fork, then the other fork would not be able to be seen since it would be behind the front fork.

I do not see any evidence of a doctored picture.
its obviously doctored. if it wasnt, that tire in the air would be DOWN, not compressed UP and almost touching the wheel well.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
its obviously doctored. if it wasnt, that tire in the air would be DOWN, not compressed UP and almost touching the wheel well.
thats a real photo, thats the bastard SAS from pirate on an 01 4runner that doesnt work all that well.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by neliconcept
thats a real photo, thats the bastard SAS from pirate on an 01 4runner that doesnt work all that well.
What about that 4runner does not work well?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
I don't get how, when you lift the rear tire with a forklift, the suspension would not compress and still be down .... that makes no sense, unless you expect the suspension to not flex at all.

I'm guessing you're talking about the pic with the quick photoshop though instead of the one where you can see the forklift
Old 09-13-2007, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
This is what I know. Its a 2000 SR5 Sport. 143,000 miles on it. The TRD Supercharger was installed at 96K along with a new timing belt by a dealer. It also has the TRD Headers and TRD exhaust on it. It does have the E-locker rear as well.

Other than that its pretty much stock, or he hasn't mentioned anything other than that. He claims that synthetics were used with Lucas additives. I know this should never be a selling point since everyone sells a car for a reason.

My question is in regards to the supercharger and motor. Its got 47K on it since installed and I am curious about the reliability and longevity of the motor. He did say that the supercharger oil and stuff was changed recently. Any advice on this? I have never owned a supercharged rig, but have heard of them needing maintenance every 50K or so which worries me. All my experience is with 22REs and 3.slows.

What kind of mileage should I expect? Can I run normal 87 Octane or does it need premium? Any issues with high elevations? What upgrades should have been done or will need to be done to it because of the supercharger? From searching, it looks like a tranny cooler will be needed. What else?

The general plan for this rig for the first 8 months is simply as a daily driver for my wife. However, I own an offroad and fabrication shop, and I will eventually use this rig as the marketing base for the business. The plan would be to drop a Diamond front axle underneath it, 5.29s, HP E-locker front, and 37s. However, I will immediately put on an OME 2.5" lift and some 285s on it since it needs tires anyway.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
The tranny cooler will help but will still make your tranny a week link. I would add a valve body upgrade to help the tranny some. I would definitly add fuel mods and yes running higher octane is recommended...its nature of the beast.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:53 AM

SC=more power=more heat=more stress.
Premium fuel, synthetic oil are a must otherwise take the supercharger off.
If you are gonna play, you got to pay.
Best keep that cooling system in top shape.....lots of heat to reject.
Plugs may have to be changed more often.
Transmission will be the weak link. May want to run synthetic fluid in the transmission and a trans cooler is a given.
Drive it within reason and it should last a long time. That is a good engine.

My $0.02
Old 09-13-2007, 04:03 AM

Not a photochop guys.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I asked him if its had any of the fuel upgrades done. I am definitely not seeing a URD kit on it:

Old 09-13-2007, 04:39 AM

You wont see anything that says URD on it unless the guy has the lame stickers on his windows. All the fuel kit is, is a piggyback computer, fuel injectors, fuel pump, 2step lower spark plugs, and a 170 degree thermostat.

And the computer gets hidden behind the dash cluster.

As for NEEDING to run synthetic oils, no its not necessary.

But it is Necessary to 91 octane and ONLY run 91. unless you have 93 out there.

Maintenence wise on the S/C it is a good idea to change the oil in it every 40-50k miles.

If it was well taken care of its probly a good buy. But if hes been hot roddin it around w/o a tranny cooler, and fuel upgrades you may see problems down the road.

Just my .02

EDIT: see if he even has the free FMU mod done to it. Its having a line from the boost port connect to your fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited by Stevo3; 09-13-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 AM

I'd steer clear of any "modified" vehicle unless you can verify exactly how well things are installed. People take so many shortcuts when trying to modify vehicles for more power. Instead of investing the money for the correct mods up front they wait until something happens on the back end. I'm not sure how much you're looking to spend on this 4Runner but I am sure there are plenty of lower mileage stock 4Runner out there that have less headache potential.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on SC'd 4runner purchase