View Poll Results: Keep or sell or get more 285's
Keep the rock crawler MT/R combo
14.29%
Sell and get a locker
68.57%
keep the rims, sell the MT/R's get some 285 mudders
17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Need opinions (Pics posted) rims & tires-keep or sell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions (Pics posted) rims & tires-keep or sell?

I recently purchased a set of 285 75 R16 Revo's and installed them 2 weeks ago. They look and ride great. Originally I planned to keep my 265 75 R16 MT/R's mounted on procomp rockcrawlers just for wheeling excursions, but I'm now thinking that it will kill me to switch to the smaller tires. Should I keep them for the infrequent offroading or just sell and put the money towards a locker? I love the backspacing of 4.25" on 8" rims. It really is perfect. The stockers, on the other hand, put the revo's against the upper a-arms when drooped and against the frame when steering is at full lock. I won't run the steelies full time anymore so Revo's+ steelies is not an option

Click this link for pictures:
http://www.rawdogit.com/TIMS.htm

Last edited by TStango; 05-26-2004 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Locker is my vote. Your rig looks good with black wheels BTW.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Sell and get a locker and wheel the Revo's. The revos and a locker will get you farther than muds and open diffs.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Well, thats a toughy... thats what I was thinking about... I was going to get some revos and put them on my stock wheels but then I remembered they rubbed. I am also thinking of getting some smaller revos and putting them on my stock wheels to save gas and then keep the big'ns and tech1s for wheel'n. I guess my question to you is why did you get the revos so big? Or why did you mount such a big tire on the stock rim? I need a body lift b/c the 285s are rubbing pretty bad and want to go ahead and get a 2" but, if I put smaller tires on almost 5" of lift, that would just look stupid. I don't know what to tell you. I'm in the same boat as you with not being as excited about the steelies, but they do look a lot better.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

As for the locker I guess you have to ask yourself how much you wheel and how hardcore you are with it. If you are really wanting to climb rocks with the big boys get a locker. If you are more of an occasional trail rider, I'd say wait for a locker. I have no problems with open diffs at uwharrie but I don't do the super hard trails either. I have fun, get dirty so I'm happy. I don't have any real protection yet, so I'm not about to hit up some rocks so I have a locker further down the line than some. A locker is like an s/c a commitment. Espcially if you get an ARB b/c if your going to go that far, you might as well get a good air setup also etc etc.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:50 PM
Banned

if you decide to sell the MT/Rs....ill definately be intrested!
Old 05-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by turboale
As for the locker I guess you have to ask yourself how much you wheel and how hardcore you are with it. If you are really wanting to climb rocks with the big boys get a locker. If you are more of an occasional trail rider, I'd say wait for a locker. I have no problems with open diffs at uwharrie but I don't do the super hard trails either. I have fun, get dirty so I'm happy. I don't have any real protection yet, so I'm not about to hit up some rocks so I have a locker further down the line than some. A locker is like an s/c a commitment. Espcially if you get an ARB b/c if your going to go that far, you might as well get a good air setup also etc etc.
Some good points Austin. Sometimes you have to take a step back and say what do I really need. In my case, considering where I live and how hard it is to find good wheeling spots, I really don't need the MT/R's or the locker. Sure the locker gives you some serious bragging rights and confidence, but do I really want to take this thing over terrain like that? I'm begining to think no. I've been pretty lucky so far with some close calls on the trail. It's such a cool mod though--damn,the locker is still up for debate

I just think someone else can make better use of the MT/R's rather than having them sit in the basement. But at the same time I don't want to regret selling them. I've got problems

BTW, thanks for the compliment, Christian.
Thanks for your input guys.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TStango
Sometimes you have to take a step back and say what do I really need. In my case, considering where I live and how hard it is to find good wheeling spots, I really don't need the MT/R's or the locker. Sure the locker gives you some serious bragging rights and confidence, but do I really want to take this thing over terrain like that? I'm begining to think no. I've been pretty lucky so far with some close calls on the trail. It's such a cool mod though--damn,the locker is still up for debate
Get the locker! If you just use it once it will have paid for itself. It makes wheeling almost effortless compared to open diffs. You don't have to worry about a rear tire unloading and losing traction. That alone saves on wear and tear by not shock loading the drivetrain when you use the gas to keep the momentum. You just keep motoring along. After having mine, I have to say that I will never have a 4X4 without at least one selectable locker. The main reason I bought my '97 LC was the fact it has front/rear factory electric lockers.

Scott
Old 05-28-2004, 04:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elnip
Get the locker! If you just use it once it will have paid for itself. It makes wheeling almost effortless compared to open diffs. You don't have to worry about a rear tire unloading and losing traction. That alone saves on wear and tear by not shock loading the drivetrain when you use the gas to keep the momentum. You just keep motoring along. After having mine, I have to say that I will never have a 4X4 without at least one selectable locker. The main reason I bought my '97 LC was the fact it has front/rear factory electric lockers.

Scott
YOu are right. Rims and tires are going up for sale.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TStango
YOu are right. Rims and tires are going up for sale.
Just the tires are for sale:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34282

Also selling 91 Honda Accord Coupe LX. Well cared for- 220k miles
Old 06-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

keep the rims, sell the tires for 285 mudders. Sell some crack to get the lockers.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
keep the rims, sell the tires for 285 mudders. Sell some crack to get the lockers.

Not a bad idea. I think I'd have better luck selling crack than unloading these tires and my Honda.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but let me tell you what I did/have:

285/75/16 MT's on rockcrawlers
265/70/16 Revo's on stock rims.

Any really long trip, or during the winter if I don't expect to wheel much, I put the smaller revos on- I get the power back and a smoother ride. I like having the option of either tire set. However, your tire type/size are the exact opposite of mine, so it isn't really an option for you. I'm surprised you guys are rubbing that much- are the 285 Revos that much bigger than the 285 MT's? I'd think with some creative work with a hammer you could avoid all those rubbing issues. I'd say that the 285 Revo's will give you the extra ground clearance relative to the 265's, and will still give you reasonable off-road traction. Sell the MT's, and get yourself a cheap autolocker for ~300 bucks. You'll be better in AT's and a locker than an open dif˟˟˟˟ vehicle with MT's.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Sounds like you've made up your mind, but let me tell you what I did/have:

285/75/16 MT's on rockcrawlers
265/70/16 Revo's on stock rims.

Any really long trip, or during the winter if I don't expect to wheel much, I put the smaller revos on- I get the power back and a smoother ride. I like having the option of either tire set. However, your tire type/size are the exact opposite of mine, so it isn't really an option for you. I'm surprised you guys are rubbing that much- are the 285 Revos that much bigger than the 285 MT's? I'd think with some creative work with a hammer you could avoid all those rubbing issues. I'd say that the 285 Revo's will give you the extra ground clearance relative to the 265's, and will still give you reasonable off-road traction. Sell the MT's, and get yourself a cheap autolocker for ~300 bucks. You'll be better in AT's and a locker than an open dif˟˟˟˟ vehicle with MT's.
Having my situation reversed like yours would have been ideal, but oh well. I have no regrets having the 285 Revos on the stock rims. Rubbing isn't really an issue-I just don't turn the steering wheel to the max, and if I do it's not that bad. The revo's are very smooth for road trips and the power loss isn't really that bad either. This truck was never "fast" and it never will be for that matter. I'm fortunate to have a car to make up for the need for speed. BTW, just pickup up a nice 98 BMW 328is two weeks ago. Between that and the 4Runner I feel I have the best of both worlds. Who needs a new car when you can have two used ones?
If I can sell the tires I'm going to pick up some 285 Destination MT's or something not too expensive. An e-locker retrofit might still be in the works for the fall.

Now someone please buy the MT/R's :cry: For an extra $1000, I'll even throw in a nice 91 Honda Accord coupe. Anyone?
Old 06-11-2004, 07:36 AM
Banned

Wow, just ebay both of them and you'll get what you're asking...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
Wow, just ebay both of them and you'll get what you're asking...
I've never bought or sold anything on Ebay. I placed a bid on a cargo cover for the 4Runner once. I might look into that.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Banned

How much for you to put the MT/R's in the accord and drive it to Alabama to deliver it to me? Seriously, if you have the accord in a few weeks, we may talk. I've got a line on a new job with Honda and ~IF~ I get it then I'll need a beater/commuter for the 40miles each way to work. If it works out, I'll PM you...

Have any pics of the MT/R's (and the car for that matter)? That would help alot...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
How much for you to put the MT/R's in the accord and drive it to Alabama to deliver it to me? Seriously, if you have the accord in a few weeks, we may talk. I've got a line on a new job with Honda and ~IF~ I get it then I'll need a beater/commuter for the 40miles each way to work. If it works out, I'll PM you...

Have any pics of the MT/R's (and the car for that matter)? That would help alot...
I don't have pictures of either right now, but I can have them tommorrow.
For now, I can tell you about the Accord. It's "Seattle Silver" with "Champagne" interior. I've owned it since December of 95- bought it certified from a Honda Dealership with 64k miles on it.
-I changed the oil myself every 3-4k miles with Pennzoil
-It's an LX but was special ordered with the EX 15" alloy rims and factory fog/driving lights.
- In 97', I installed an aftermarket identical version of the EX spoiler with the integrated 3rd brake light and had a sunroof installed
- Timing belt was changed at 75k and 170k.
- The transmission started making noise at 200k, so I swapped it out and also had a new clutch installed, and oil pan gasket replaced
- This past December, I replaced front rotors, pads and driver side half shaft.
- A month ago, did the rear shoes.
The engine runs great, only burns about 1/2 quart of oil every 3k which is not bad at all. I get about 29mpg on an average.
The interior is in excellent condition. Everything works and the A/C is very cold. Exterior is not bad only with a few rust spots, one being the common passenger side rear quarter panel right behind the tire.
I can't believe what good luck I've had with this car. It almost hurts me to sell it after how good it's been to me. I commute 42 miles to work one way, so that's where all the miles came from.
I hope it goes to a good home. I just don't want to put it in the paper and have all the inner city kids at my house wanting to take it for a spin.