Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need new shocks and coils NOW! 92 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 05:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need new shocks and coils NOW! 92 4runner

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. So far, this site is GREAT!

Okay guys,
Dealership has to replace all the steering components and BJ's at their cost under the NYS lemon law. (Long story, but it all started with an improperly torqued wheel bearing by the dealer after turning rotors) BUT, it doesn't cover shocks or springs.... My rear is sagging, and all 4 shocks are bad.

I have to order coils and shocks SOON, and have a couple questions.

I am thinking of getting all stock stuff, mainly due to cost. All 4 shocks, 2 rear coils, and top and bottom "insulators" (rubber cushions on top and bottom of coils) will be $250 to my door from www.1sttoyotaparts.com .
My other choice is OME medium set. Coils, shocks and steering stabilizer for around $478 shipped from www.rocky-road.com

Now, given my two choices, does anybody have anything bad to say about ride quality (RIDE QUALITY is what I'm after) of a stock suspension system on a stock 4runner that will see 95% pavement? This is my new daily driver, and I have my truck for the real bad (fun) stuff. This 4runner WILL see many fire roads, some light off-roading and will be towing a 20' boat LOTS this summer. This runner will get about 15k miles of highway under it by the end of this year.
Regarding the OME setup, do these springs lift the back so much you need to adjust the torsion bars in front? And if so, is this a PITA? I would like to get a "good feeling" suspension under this thing, with some off-road ability, good on-road manners, and not that "boat" feeling in corners and sudden stops etc.
Thank you all for your help.
Jason
Old 06-17-2004, 08:59 AM

Anybody?
Old 06-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a search for Downey, Rear Sag, Bilstein, Shock. Most people around here like the Downey 1.5" HDs and Bilsteins for what you described.

Oh, and the stock springs will just sag again, get the downeys.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the OME coils and love them. The rear will be slightly higher than the front, but if you tow a boat it should even out. Go with the OME's and definitely get some better shocks and steering stabilizer. You will be happy you did. Get rid of the stock crap.
Old 06-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd thumbs up on OME. I love my setup, rides much better now.

The front isn't hard to lift with stock torsion bars, just takes time is all. All you need is something to lift the front end with, and a 22mm (I think) socket or wrench.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scofco
2nd thumbs up on OME. I love my setup, rides much better now.

The front isn't hard to lift with stock torsion bars, just takes time is all. All you need is something to lift the front end with, and a 22mm (I think) socket or wrench.
Thanks for the help so far guys! The OME coils and shocks are going to be much better on the highway, right? This is my DD for the next couple years, hopefully. I have a 92 truck also, that's what I'll be using for any of the REAL fun stuff.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Much better on anything

Mine is my DD also, no worries. OME isn't the hardcore only nightmare you think it is, they're just high quality products.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Scofco
Much better on anything

Mine is my DD also, no worries. OME isn't the hardcore only nightmare you think it is, they're just high quality products.
Okay, pretty sure I'm gonna order today from www.rocky-road.com but I still have some questions:

Should I go with the HD or Medium set? I'm thinking HD will be overkill for this runner, but if it's not harsh I guess it wouldn't be bad.
Also, when installing these, do you have to adjust the LSPV for the brakes or anything else? I saw you must do this w/the downey springs, and wopuld rather not have to mess with it.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 06-18-2004, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jasonbrink
Also, when installing these, do you have to adjust the LSPV for the brakes or anything else? I saw you must do this w/the downey springs, and wopuld rather not have to mess with it.
Thanks,
Jason
Yes you do and the downey's come with all the brackets needed.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:43 AM

Are there instructions with the OME "kit" ? Do they sell the bracketry required to move whatever I need to move? I'm wondering how I would know what I need to do to the LSPV etc.
Also, anyone have any experience with www.rocky-road.com or www.xtremeoff-road.com? They are both the same price, but RR has free shipping and I don't know what xtreme's price is yet.

I really just want to get the best price on these, and get them here with all parts necessary ASAP.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:26 AM

If you are looking for quick turn around order from www.4x4connection.com, they have everything in stock, if not its shipped from the manafactur to you. Rock-Road has about a 2 week delay, they order, they get, then they ship to you.

Don't know about know anything about Xtreme.

Rock Roack and 4x4Connection have the same price, but 4x4 you have to pay shipping, but its there in 2 days... (well mine where)

I have the OME Meduim/Standard coils and shocks. To level the front out, crank the torsion bars up 2" or add a 1.5" Ball Joint spacer (www.sdori.com). the BJ leaving the torsion bars at factory settings gave me 2" of lift, and levels out really night with the OME coils.

Last edited by wvuviv30; 06-18-2004 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by wvuviv30
If you are looking for quick turn around order from www.4x4connection.com, they have everything in stock, if not its shipped from the manafactur to you. Rock-Road has about a 2 week delay, they order, they get, then they ship to you.

Don't know about know anything about Xtreme.

Rock Roack and 4x4Connection have the same price, but 4x4 you have to pay shipping, but its there in 2 days... (well mine where)

I have the OME Meduim/Standard coils and shocks. To level the front out, crank the torsion bars up 2" or add a 1.5" Ball Joint spacer (www.sdori.com). the BJ leaving the torsion bars at factory settings gave me 2" of lift, and levels out really night with the OME coils.
What EXACTLY did you need to do to the rear end (brakes, LSPV, etc) what did you need to move or re-adjust, is a better question. This is my main concern so far. I'm not looking for a huge amount of lift or anything, I'm not putting anything larger than the 31x10.50's that came on it. Will this look stupid if I keep this size tire? I really just want a good road feel, and some durability for all the potholes and a non-sagging rear.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I did not do anything with my brakes other than bleeding them because I disconnected them just to be on the safe side. All you will get is the coils marked left and right.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Same as above, I didn't touch mine.
No need for an extended brake line or panhard drop.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

The downey kit comes with an extended stainless steel brakeline, some other brackets and a LSVP relocation bracket. If you always use stock length shocks then you don't need the brakeline or other brackets. In my opinion you do need the LSVP bracket because you're brakes won't work as well. Take a look at my writeup in the tech section and you'll see how I made one. I noticed a difference in braking power. And think of it this way, do you really want your brakes to not work the best they can?