Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need last minute advice on suspension plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need last minute advice on suspension plans

Hey all --

I've been doing some research on here for a while and finally ordered this from Mike @ Xtreme.

Front: Rear:
OME 881 coils OME 891 coils (occasional towing)
OME N91S struts OME N86 shocks

+OME 95PF5 5MM Trim Packers
+RevTek front diff. drop

This is mainly to improve the ride over factory and to offset the weight of either a TJM or ARB front bumper.

After doing more research, it seems I should also add the RevTek top out extender (TOE-2) straight away -- in order to approach a more level front & rear.

My plan is to add the suspension, add the bumper. Drive for a while. If/when the front sags, add a Cornfed spacer.

I can't seem to find straight answers on the following questions:
1) when starting out with OME + Revtek TOE -- do I need special length bolts? (e.g., a separate RevTek bolt kit)
2) if the front does sag, should I add Trimpackers or the Cornfed spacer or both?
3) if I add the Cornfed to the sagging #1 -- again, do I need special length bolts?
4) will the OME boot covers not work with the Cornfed spacers and if not, should I modify them or use Bilstein boot cover (which do fit w/o modification?) ?
5) it seems like Schaefer's panhard drop bracket is a good idea? ( or is this lift not high enough so that I don't need it?)

I know this has been pounded to death in one way or another, but I think this summarizes things pretty good and may answer questions others have.

Again, last minute advice/critiques welcome (e.g., I read ALBPM's thread on the diff. drop -- very helpful).

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM

aww c'mon someone throw me a line here!

Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 AM

I just did this exact lift ome springs and coils only and I have a TJM front bumper. the front only lift an 1.25 inches. I have researched this by asking the same questions. The answers I have received, senior members please correct if I am wrong,
1, yes you need longer bolts from revtek
2.depends on how much you want to go up. if you want to go more than an inch, I would say the cb spacer instead of trim packers. I only want to do another inch because i value my cv joints, so i am going with the TOE and the TP's(3).
3. yes longer bolts.
4. dont know, think this only applies to the rear.
5. yes you need steve's pan hard bracket, unless you like the offsteer with bumps.

Take my advice, it is not worth doing the lift twice, if you are going to get the bumper do the whole modified frankenstein lift all at once.

good luck, i hope this is accurate
Old 05-17-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerJBG
I just did this exact lift ome springs and coils only and I have a TJM front bumper. the front only lift an 1.25 inches. I have researched this by asking the same questions. The answers I have received, senior members please correct if I am wrong,
1, yes you need longer bolts from revtek
2.depends on how much you want to go up. if you want to go more than an inch, I would say the cb spacer instead of trim packers. I only want to do another inch because i value my cv joints, so i am going with the TOE and the TP's(3).
3. yes longer bolts.
4. dont know, think this only applies to the rear.
5. yes you need steve's pan hard bracket, unless you like the offsteer with bumps.

Take my advice, it is not worth doing the lift twice, if you are going to get the bumper do the whole modified frankenstein lift all at once.

good luck, i hope this is accurate
Alright..so if I use the OME coils/struts + RevTek Top Out Extender + OME Trim packers -- I need to use RevTek bolts ?

Any idea what part # or kit # it is?

And this will approach a level ride? Or would it be better to just forget the trim packers and use a Cornbred spacer instead?
Old 05-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

4. On the front OME struts, the dust cover will not work with Cornbred spacers. You can either modify them to fit like ravencr (search) did, or use the bilstein dust covers like sschaefer spell out on his site, or you can buy some cheap rubber shock boots and put them on instead. I ordered some from summit racing for around $5 and they have worked just fine...

Last edited by loosehead; 05-17-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by 4FonZ
Alright..so if I use the OME coils/struts + RevTek Top Out Extender + OME Trim packers -- I need to use RevTek bolts ?

And this will approach a level ride? Or would it be better to just forget the trim packers and use a Cornbred spacer instead?
No I dont know what the part # is.

I guess level is subjective, I like the rear to be a bit taller than the front for looks and so there is room to go down to level, without sagging or bottoming out when loaded with gear and people. I havent completed this addition (revtek and tp's) to my lift yet, but am advised that this will lift the front another inch which should bring it closer to about 2.25-.5" lift from 1.25" and closer to the rear lift of 3". The other benefit is you wont have to modify the ome shock or wait for Mr. Cornfed to get to your order, it is also less expensive. And when the front does sag more, than you can add the CF spacer, if so desired.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4FonZ

oh, you only need 2 TP, not 3 as previously noted.