Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need installation instructions for Downey 3.4L headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 AM
RBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need installation instructions for Downey 3.4L headers

I purchased a used Downey chrome headers but the guy that sold it to me already lost the instructions. Does anyone here still have theirs. If so, could you kindly email them to me at advientor@aol.com or have it posted somewhere?

Also, it didnt come with the gaskets so, where do you guys suggest for me to get them from?

Thanks in advance.
Chard
Old 04-26-2005, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaskets can be obtained at any good custom exhaust shop. You can always bring one of the pipes with you and have them match up the gaskets you need. However, I believe with the Downey headers you're going to need a custom Y-pipe anyway, so whoever does that for you should be able to supply the gaskets. Good luck!

Remember after a couple months you're going to want to re-tighten each bolt on the headers and inspect it for any leaks.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The install is pretty straight forward:
  • Remove old manifold any way you can. It often requires a Sawzall and a good amount of cursing to get the old crossover pipe out.

• Use the _STOCK_ manifold gaskets for the engine. The TRD gaskets don't seal well. A good alternative is to use copper gaskets, but they're pricey. Look for a local speedshop like northtorrey suggested.

• Get a set of new block studs. They're often not "needed" but it's a nice bonus.

• Apply more swearing as you try to get the headers in.

• Have bandaids on hand as you try to reach the top bolts.

• If you didn't get Downey's crossover pipe with the kit, then you'll need to head to an exhaust shop to get one made. The Y pipe should be there, there was one with mine.

• Look ahead to the issue of the crossover... The stock Toyota crossover went over the tranny which kept it off the rocks, but it was a pain to pull out (and to put a new one in). Route your new crossover under the tranny, but make it a BOLT-IN piece. If you don't, then you won't be able to get the tranny pan off if you even have to drain it or do valve body work.

• Use copper gaskets ALL AROUND for the headers into the crossover and the collector (Y-pipe). I've burnt through more paper gaskets than I care to admit.

• If you're an auto, then be VERY careful as to how you route the kicker cable back up to the throttle body. Mine was misrouted at first and was smashed against the header. That caused the casing to melt and the cable barely moves. Insert another need to get the tranny pan off - I have to replace the cable.
Good luck, and take your time. It's a REAL PITA.