Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Help w/3vze

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help w/3vze

Can someone please help me.

Ok, I have a 93 4Runner 4x4, auto, that I have been doing major work on. I recently had some spare time on my hands to rebuild the top end of the engine. Here is a run down on what I have done.

- ported and polished the heads w/ oversized valves
- installed downey headers
- new fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist. rotor, dist. cap, K&N intake, PCV, TPS
- and cleaned just about everything you can

After a month of accumulating new parts and putting them back on I have finally got everything together. The first time I started the engine it was out of time. So I move the distributor back a tooth and she fired right up. Now I get to where I am having a problem. After moving the distributor to the proper time my engine will not idle. I have cleaned the TB thoroghly and recheked the TPS. Still a very rough idle or no idle at all. I am receiving no codes from the ECU. And everything I am pretty sure is hooked up in the proper place.

The engine will run and the engine purrs above 2000 rpm but as soon as it gets any lower it becomes really rough or will sputter out. I have also noticed that when the engine is trying to idle it sounds like there is a backfire coming back up through the intake. I cant really tell if the engine is running rich or lean but it does run. Also, my warning lights under my gauges dont want to shut off and my dome light seems to dim when I try and let the engine idle.

I am at my very last nerve with this engine and I am wonder if any of these symptoms sounds familar to anyone. I have always fixed my own vehicals and I dont want to have to take my Runner to the stealership for them to fix and rip me off. Also, can someone take a picture of the vacuum lines on the plenum so I can make sure all of mine are in the right spot. Please someone help.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zigzagph
Can someone please help me.

Ok, I have a 93 4Runner 4x4, auto, that I have been doing major work on. I recently had some spare time on my hands to rebuild the top end of the engine. Here is a run down on what I have done.

- ported and polished the heads w/ oversized valves
- installed downey headers
- new fuel filter, plugs, wires, dist. rotor, dist. cap, K&N intake, PCV, TPS
- and cleaned just about everything you can

After a month of accumulating new parts and putting them back on I have finally got everything together. The first time I started the engine it was out of time. So I move the distributor back a tooth and she fired right up. Now I get to where I am having a problem. After moving the distributor to the proper time my engine will not idle. I have cleaned the TB thoroghly and recheked the TPS. Still a very rough idle or no idle at all. I am receiving no codes from the ECU. And everything I am pretty sure is hooked up in the proper place.

The engine will run and the engine purrs above 2000 rpm but as soon as it gets any lower it becomes really rough or will sputter out. I have also noticed that when the engine is trying to idle it sounds like there is a backfire coming back up through the intake. I cant really tell if the engine is running rich or lean but it does run. Also, my warning lights under my gauges dont want to shut off and my dome light seems to dim when I try and let the engine idle.

I am at my very last nerve with this engine and I am wonder if any of these symptoms sounds familar to anyone. I have always fixed my own vehicals and I dont want to have to take my Runner to the stealership for them to fix and rip me off. Also, can someone take a picture of the vacuum lines on the plenum so I can make sure all of mine are in the right spot. Please someone help.
Greetings,
I don't believe that your engine is in time. With that being said, lets get her in time, get the #1 cylinder at TDC and point your rotor of the dist. at it, once you have this you can get her in time. wHEN SETTING THE TIMING YOU HAVE TO JUMP THE "te" & "e1" Or you won't get it in time!
It sounds like you have other electrical problems as well, like your wiring harness, your warning lights should shut off. Make sure you have no air leaks at your air intake www.autozone.com used to have pics of the vac diagram but the link is broken for some reason. EDIT: Try this link: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...74layoutan.pdf
Good Luck!
Harry

Last edited by nunsa; 10-30-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:36 PM

I have tried setting and resetting the distributor one tooth above, one tooth below, and right at tap dead center and I believe I have it set correctly. I also had the jumper in the diagnosis header when shooting the time. Could this possibly be the fuel injectors.

As far as the electrical problem goes the only thing I did with the wiring harness is move it and tape up the places where plastic hosing cracked off. Could you recommend a good place to start looking. For instance, should I go through the leads on the ECU to make sure none of them have continuity or just start to pulling the harness back out and go through it with a fine toothed comb. Or is there a type of way to check all the impedences on the harness.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:52 AM

Fixed it!

Wow... what a difference.

The ole 4Runner use to run like a lawnmower now she runs like a tractor.

Does anyone know a good place to by gears?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:45 AM

What Was Wrong??????
Old 04-10-2006, 10:14 AM

yea can't say you fixed it and not say what the problem was
Old 05-31-2006, 01:39 PM

Yeah, what the hell, we need to know
Old 05-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well it's been 2 years, I don't think he's coming back.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:34 PM

yeah, i guess i was just being a smartass, was wondering if the MAF was the source of the problem. Was trying to figure out if they fail all at once, or it is a slow decline in preformance.