Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help with Trailer wiring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Trailer wiring.

I've spent a long time searching through the threads and Google trying to figure out my issue. 97 4 runner limited.
Issue 1:
  • I am not getting tail light power to the vehicle trailer wiring harness female end. The blinkers seem to work, but no tail lights (if I'm reading the meter right) I'm trying to see if there is a converter box issue, but I can't find the converter box (Pictures below). I tried looking on the driver and passenger sides and I don't see a converter box. Am I dong something wrong?
Issue 2:
  • If you have any links on clear instructions on how to test the wiring harness at the vehicle, please let me know. I was unable to find a clear one. (I may have been using a bad search phrase, but I tried a bunch of them.)

Driver side: Driver side pic 1
Driver side pic 2
Driver side pic 3
Passenger side pic 1
Passenger side pic2
Thanks for your help!
Old 12-03-2016, 01:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Now just how many lights does your trailer have ??

If your using a flat 4 pin plug you need a trailer converter box most often on the left side of the vehicle

Since our Toyota`s have a separate turn signals and most trailers only use one light having the turn signal/brake light and tail light on two wires instead of 3

These flat plugs tend to corrode have you cleaned things ??

Simple to check positive probe to the plug negative probe to a good ground you might have to clean a spot

from your pictures it looks like a loose or poor connection might be the problem
Old 12-03-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure if you follow those solid yellow, red, brown and white wires--the ones that are cut short in the QuickTaps--you will find your converter box. This is clearly not the factory trailer wiring package. My money is on the QuickTap (or whatever those silly things are called) where the solid green wire on the truck is tied into the cut solid brown wire going to the box. That's where the box gets its taillight power. I hate QuickTaps. Otherwise, it is likely the converter or the plug, like Wyoming9 said. Here is a '97 EWD from my collection:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EWD 100 TR1tl97.pdf (58.1 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by TheDurk; 12-03-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Now just how many lights does your trailer have ??

If your using a flat 4 pin plug you need a trailer converter box most often on the left side of the vehicle

Since our Toyota`s have a separate turn signals and most trailers only use one light having the turn signal/brake light and tail light on two wires instead of 3

These flat plugs tend to corrode have you cleaned things ??

Simple to check positive probe to the plug negative probe to a good ground you might have to clean a spot

from your pictures it looks like a loose or poor connection might be the problem

I have a new 4 pin connector. I've used a meter to check all of the ports, and I'm getting power to both blinker lights, but not the running light (brown). That's why I wanted to try to check it at the converter box, but I can't find it yet..

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
I'm pretty sure if you follow those solid yellow, red, brown and white wires--the ones that are cut short in the QuickTaps--you will find your converter box. This is clearly not the factory trailer wiring package. My money is on the QuickTap (or whatever those silly things are called) where the solid green wire on the truck is tied into the cut solid brown wire going to the box. That's where the box gets its taillight power. I hate QuickTaps. Otherwise, it is likely the converter or the plug, like Wyoming9 said. Here is a '97 EWD from my collection:
Thanks for the help. It seems I'll have to take the side panels off of both sides of the 4runner, as I can't bend them any more. Should I have to take both panels off to find a converter box?
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mjninc
Thanks for the help. It seems I'll have to take the side panels off of both sides of the 4runner, as I can't bend them any more. Should I have to take both panels off to find a converter box?
Not fully but will likely have to go up the pillar & unseat. My factory 97 SR5 box is on passenger side. Follow The Durk's advice, he knows his ˟˟˟˟˟. Not sure how your 4 pin exits the vehicle but it may run under the cargo carpet and exit through the floor. Need to test voltage back to all connections.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjninc
Can't guarantee anything on aftermarket stuff as you never know what was done. Pretty sure it's going to be on driver's side, and yes you probably do need to pull the panel.

I'd still try redoing that green to brown connection before I went any further. Then confirm presence of 12V+ with TAILLIGHTS on.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Can't guarantee anything on aftermarket stuff as you never know what was done. Pretty sure it's going to be on driver's side, and yes you probably do need to pull the panel.

I'd still try redoing that green to brown connection before I went any further. Then confirm presence of 12V+ with TAILLIGHTS on.
Thanks for your help!