Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help from people with cargo covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help from people with cargo covers

My 4runner came as a base model with no options. I am going to be adding a cargo cover so i can hide my stereo goodies, amps and sub box. I have the cover and I have the 4 brackets. What I need is measurements so i can cut the holes in the interior panels correctly. So would any people with cargo covers be willing to take some measurements for me? 2 measurements would be good, height-from where (i.e. wheel well or floor) and another measurement from like the seat back or from the door.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:51 AM

Not trying to be a smartass here, but there is no "right" place. Just make sure the cover is high enough for your gear. Then mount the forward brackets. Put the cover in the brackets, and pull the cover to the tailgate (lean in through the window). Now eyeball where the brackets should go, use a level to make sure they are close to level (be sure to consider how level your vehicle is at that particular moment), then mount the other brackets.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
casey,

youre in luck: i was measuring up and loading boxes into my 4runner and i saw your post. Here it is in my 4runner:

Hey, you coming to Pismo 4RJ or what?!?! Sign up:

http://www.4runners.org/misc/pismo.html

Bob
Old 06-16-2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by jacksonpt
Not trying to be a smartass here, but there is no "right" place. Just make sure the cover is high enough for your gear. Then mount the forward brackets. Put the cover in the brackets, and pull the cover to the tailgate (lean in through the window). Now eyeball where the brackets should go, use a level to make sure they are close to level (be sure to consider how level your vehicle is at that particular moment), then mount the other brackets.
I might be wrong, but isn't there something behind the pannel, on the body, that the mounting brackets screw into?
Old 06-16-2003, 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
casey,

youre in luck: i was measuring up and loading boxes into my 4runner and i saw your post. Here it is in my 4runner:

Hey, you coming to Pismo 4RJ or what?!?! Sign up:

http://www.4runners.org/misc/pismo.html

Bob
I'm not Casey, im the other lifted 2wd 4cyl. But thanks for the measurement and that pismo trip looks like a blast, i really want to make it up there.
Old 06-16-2003, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nolan,

Oops, why was I thinking Casey? Anyways, good luck w/ the install.

And yeah, try to make time for Pismo!

Oh, and you're welcome.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 06-16-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by Nolan
I might be wrong, but isn't there something behind the pannel, on the body, that the mounting brackets screw into?
On the recessed 'catch' where the tonneau cover hooks on to, yes, there is a metal bracket that the plastic 'catch' screws into. I saw it when I put 2 eye-hooks for my cargo net. You may wanna see that you have those before you cut the panels...pry an end off and have a peek.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by butnut
On the recessed 'catch' where the tonneau cover hooks on to, yes, there is a metal bracket that the plastic 'catch' screws into. I saw it when I put 2 eye-hooks for my cargo net. You may wanna see that you have those before you cut the panels...pry an end off and have a peek.
I am hoping that all the body panels are the same and they aren't specific, it would make more sense economically.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:34 PM

I am hoping that all the body panels are the same and they aren't specific, it would make more sense economically.
You're probably right. I have the base model and it came with the rear cover (although invoice shows I paid for it) Now you just have to make sure when you cut the hole to mount the 'catch', it's dead perfect, or the screw hole won't line up. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:48 PM

There are raised dots on the inside of the panel to show you where to cut. It looks like the dealership just cuts them out.

The metal bracket should be easily fabbed up. It's held on to the panel by 2 bolts that are towards the front and a nylon nut is set in to hold the plastic "catch" bracket on to it.

I can post pictures if you want. I'm working on putting a cargo cover on my 2nd gen so I have a panel from a 3rd gen lying around.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Need help from people with cargo covers

My 4runner came as a base model with no options. I am going to be adding a cargo cover so i can hide my stereo goodies, amps and sub box. I have the cover and I have the 4 brackets. What I need is measurements so i can cut the holes in the interior panels correctly. So would any people with cargo covers be willing to take some measurements for me? 2 measurements would be good, height-from where (i.e. wheel well or floor) and another measurement from like the seat back or from the door.
I believe that if you pull the panels, there are threaded holes already in the sheet metal for the mount brackets.