Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need help with first truck...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with first truck...

I am now a proud owner of my first truck - an 87 Toyota 4x4 standard cab with carbed 22r, 33" BFG's. There have been a few problems that I have fixed here and there during the past couple weeks (CV Axle, various electrical issues, emissions control devices). I do, however, have a few questions that perhaps some people here may be able to help me out with.

1. The choke on my carb doesn't seem to be working. I could get a manual choke, but would prefer to fix whatever is broken. I've ran carb cleaner through the carb, but it still won't work, which makes the engine kinda difficult to start when cold. Any thoughts on a possible fix?

2. Oil guage and fuel guage don't work correctly. I think the fuel sender is bad, as it is experiencing an issue where it drops to "E" when it's only halfway empty. I have seen this associated with a bad fuel sender. How much should I pay for one of these? I think somebody has swapped SR5 guages into my truck, because the tach doesn't work, and the oil pressure guage doesn't work (aftermarket one installed). Supposedly running the oil guage with the dummy light sender will destroy the actual guage. Is this repairable? Also, some dash lights seem to be burned out, which light size does it use? Are LED versions of the bulbs available?

3. Heater blower doesn't work. I think it's burned out, but not totally sure. Truck didn't come with owners manual, so I don't know if the problem is as simple as a missing fuse. Would anybody have a diagram of the designations for the fuses in the driver side kick panel? I see a lot of empty spots, so I think chances of it missing fuses are good.

4. Cigarette lighter wires are unplugged, and I can't figure out which color wires go where. My Hayne's manual is somewhat useful, but does not list these wires for some reason.

5. Truck is ghetto lifted. I think the previous owner cranked the torsion bars in the front. I would like to fix this eventually. I know I can get a cradle lift for the front end. Are there any other types of suspension lifts available? It has a 2 inch body lift already, and have not decided if i'm gonna leave it or tear it out. How much should I expect to spend on, say, a 4 inch suspension lift?

6. Truck is missing a few various pieces (parts to front bumper, no rear bumper, some sort of clip to hold ash tray in, dome light cover, steering column upper cover, lower cover, and rear view mirror). I've checked my local wrecking yards, but every truck I find has been totally raped. Are there any good places online to locate parts such as these?

7. I would like to install some larger midrange speakers into the truck. I replaced the 4" speakers in the dash, but would like a little more sound in the mid-range, and also a sub. Any ideas on speaker mounting locations? I would prefer not to hack up the doors, as they are in very good shape. Also doesn't have a wing window so that would make mounting in the door difficult anyways. I eventually would like to get some bucket seats, but have to settle for the bench right now.

I think that is about it. I really love my new truck. Aside from the dillema's previously mentioned, it is in perfect running order. Any advice regarding any of my problems would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:46 PM

Re: need help with first truck...

Originally posted by DjShiznit
I am now a proud owner of my first truck - an 87 Toyota 4x4 standard cab with carbed 22r, 33" BFG's. There have been a few problems that I have fixed here and there during the past couple weeks (CV Axle, various electrical issues, emissions control devices). I do, however, have a few questions that perhaps some people here may be able to help me out with.

Congratulations.... I thought they stopped making carbed engines in '84.....maybe not?

1. The choke on my carb doesn't seem to be working. I could get a manual choke, but would prefer to fix whatever is broken. I've ran carb cleaner through the carb, but it still won't work, which makes the engine kinda difficult to start when cold. Any thoughts on a possible fix?

Again, should you even have a carb?

4. Cigarette lighter wires are unplugged, and I can't figure out which color wires go where. My Hayne's manual is somewhat useful, but does not list these wires for some reason.

On my '84, the power wire is red with green striping and plugs into the end of the lighter socket, and the ground is black and white and plugs onto the side of the socket.

5. Truck is ghetto lifted. I think the previous owner cranked the torsion bars in the front. I would like to fix this eventually. I know I can get a cradle lift for the front end. Are there any other types of suspension lifts available? It has a 2 inch body lift already, and have not decided if i'm gonna leave it or tear it out. How much should I expect to spend on, say, a 4 inch suspension lift?

Torsion bars aren't really a "ghetto" lift, lots of people do it around here, because the 4" lift kits run around $1000 and cranking t-bars is safe with manual hubs, and free as well.

7. I would like to install some larger midrange speakers into the truck. I replaced the 4" speakers in the dash, but would like a little more sound in the mid-range, and also a sub. Any ideas on speaker mounting locations? I would prefer not to hack up the doors, as they are in very good shape. Also doesn't have a wing window so that would make mounting in the door difficult anyways. I eventually would like to get some bucket seats, but have to settle for the bench right now.

I kind of like the bench, I will be getting buckets as well, but the seat isn't THAT bad.

As far as speakers go, you're only real option is to "hack" up the doors. I did this to mine, and it actually looks pretty nice....this is with some fabric over the ugly plastic as well..

These are 6.5" comps, the tweeter is in the window pillar thing. The only thing I can think of for the 4" stock location, would be an infinity 4", the ones with the 30% larger surround. A little gimmicky, but honestly, more cone area = better if you only have 4" to begin with hehe. They can also be run off a deck really easily compared to the comps like I have, which are getting 125 watts a channel.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure my truck is carbed, no EFI throttle body at all. I'm sure it originally came with a carb as well, though I sure wish it was fuel injected. The reason I'm concerned about the cranked torsion bars, is because i've heard they can harm the alignment, cause abnormally stiff ride, and wear out the CV joints pre-maturely. I guess I was under the impression that cranking the torsion bars was looked down upon, in general. Anyways, I'm very new to this, so I'm still trying to learn. Thanks for the lighter wire colors, that will help me a lot when i get some time to dig into the electrical system again (it has really been hacked). Perhaps I am limited to mounting my speakers in the doors. I do have a set of 4" Infinity reference series speakers in the dash, that I was able to keep from my last car. They do sound nice. I will probably put 1, or maybe 2 10" speakers behind the bench (I think i have enough room). Most likely just one though. I guess I probably will have to cut into my door panels. May be more difficult for me than for you, since I don't have a wing window to mount under, and have to worry about clearing the window. I guess I'll just have to select my second pair of speakers carefully. I notice that the alternators on these trucks only puts out 60amps. How much amp power would this be sufficient for suplying?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Is the heater the only thing not blowing? Or all air? If your front panel is anything like mine, I have heard that there is a fuse behind the on/off 1234 switch the frequently goes out. My heater/air only works on high. Which is fine in the SC but on the open highway with the air on I freeze. I haven't ripped apart my dash yet. Maybe someone here can give insight to this fuse?
Old 05-15-2003, 10:49 PM

Zamboni: I have ran across this and it may be useful for you:

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...s/Blower.shtml

Good chance that will fix your problem

My blower doesn't work altogether

Last edited by DjShiznit; 05-15-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

DjShiznit - Thanks for the information. Hopefully someone out there has run into your problem. Good luck and thanks again for the link. Very helpful. One more thing to change on my baby.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

they stoped making carbed engines in the early 90's, efi was just an option.

for stereo, i have only a pair of 8's and they hit good in such a small truck. no need for anything larger, imo.

you can just uncrank the torsion bars, it will result in a little rubbage from those tires, but no big deal.