Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help ASAP - Ignition wire

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help ASAP - Ignition wire

I was wiring up some fog lights tonight... I wire them into the ignition wire so they can't run when the truck is off. Anyways... when I was stripping back the insulation from the ignition wire, I accidentially cut a few of the copper strands. As near as I can tell, I cut 4. Now, the ignition wire is about a 10 or 12 guage wire, so 4 coppers strands is nothing... there are probably about 15 strands in there total (I'm guessing).

Now my truck won't start. Not a click, crank, grunt, nothing. Could those 4 strands make the difference? Everything was fine before I started the wiring. My battery test at 12.66 volts. The power and ground to the battery are find. Any thoughts?
Old 06-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

you blew that big fuse thats in the fuse box in the engine compartment. check it out, bet its fried.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by its2slo
you blew that big fuse thats in the fuse box in the engine compartment. check it out, bet its fried.
My guess as well.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:02 PM

Thanks, I'll check that. It would be very cool if that's all it was.

UPDATE:::

Anything that doesn't require the ignition be switched on works... (headlights), but everything else (radio, window, etc.) doesn't work.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:13 PM

One of these fuses?

Old 06-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

i think one of the two that are at top dead center.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Jackson, I have never had to replace or even look at one of those big type fuses.

Can you see on the fuse if the link is broken?
If not, try a continuity test with a multimeter to see if it's good.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the help guys... once again the board comes through in the clutch. It was one of those fuses... the grey one (see pic below). I didn't think it was blown at first... didn't look it at least. I had to remove the fuse and take the clear cover off to be able to tell that it was blown. Of course with my luck, I figured it out at precisely 10:03pm, so no auto parts stores are still open. And of course with my luck, all my windows are down, including the tailgate window, and I have no way to put them up. And of course with my luck we are supposed to have some pretty decent storms roll through tonight, so I had to throw 2 tarps over the rig to cover all the windows, and bungee them down good incase it gets real windy.

Anyways... it was the fuse, and I'm done for the night. Hopefully this bad boy won't be too expensive to replace. I should get one or 2 extra just to be on the safe side. Anyone know how much I should expect to pay for these fuses?

Thanks again everyone - I owe ya... I never would have thought it was a fuse.

Old 06-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jackson, in a pinch, I bet you could put in some heavy wire between the two terminals to make a connection so you will have juice flowing so you can roll up your windows.

I have never done this either, but I bet a heavy wire would do the trick long enough to power up your windows?
Old 06-27-2003, 06:45 PM

It's a good thought... but I've already got the rig tarped up... it's almost 11:00pm here, and I don't feel like screwing around with it any more.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I hear ya there.
It's still around 80 degrees here or so, and sunny out at 8 PM.

It would be kind of hard working on it late at night and in the dark.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Need help ASAP - Ignition wire

Originally posted by jacksonpt
I was wiring up some fog lights tonight... I wire them into the ignition wire so they can't run when the truck is off. Anyways... when I was stripping back the insulation from the ignition wire, I accidentially cut a few of the copper strands. As near as I can tell, I cut 4. Now, the ignition wire is about a 10 or 12 guage wire, so 4 coppers strands is nothing... there are probably about 15 strands in there total (I'm guessing).

Now my truck won't start. Not a click, crank, grunt, nothing. Could those 4 strands make the difference? Everything was fine before I started the wiring. My battery test at 12.66 volts. The power and ground to the battery are find. Any thoughts?
you fried the fuse under the hood marked AM2 I did the same thing. I thought I warned you or somebody not to splice them into the IGN fuse a couple days ago?

here's the quote from the thread earlier in the week:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by tpg013
Thanks Corey, I rpinted out your write up and will have it on hand tonight when I tackle this thing again. Based on what I've said so far, am I right in assuming that all I need to do now is run a "hot" wire from the fuse panel to the switch and I'll have light? Will this also power the light within the switch?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever you do don't jump it to the Ign 7.5amp fuse in the box. I did and blew a fuse under the hood and had to wait until the next day and go to about 5 different auto stores here to find a 30A jcase cartridge fuse because everybody carried it but had none.

Last edited by keisur; 06-27-2003 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone know how much I should expect to pay for these fuses?
I paid about 1.50 each for them at pepboys. got two extras too. but then I wired the hot wire from the switch to my sirius satellite receiver + terminal which is direct to the battery.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

ive bought a few of those fuses myself installing alarms, you should always unhook the battery when working on your electrical system.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

It's a good thought... but I've already got the rig tarped up... it's almost 11:00pm here, and I don't feel like screwing around with it any more.
what, I was up until 2am doing mine, but the beetles were flying all over in the garage and kept flying into my shirt.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

ive bought a few of those fuses myself installing alarms, you should always unhook the battery when working on your electrical system.
baaaahhhh! haha. I know, but sometimes that laziness factor kicks in, haha. even if I'd a unhooked the battery, it would have blown when I hooked it back up because it was wired wrong, the IGN terminal on the fuse block just plainly shouldn't be used to hook up the lights.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

^oh, that sux. hey i was checking your price...i installed alarms at the stealership and my "special stealer price" was still like $5 on those type of fuses, and i was 17 when i had that job, that was a grip back then!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

^oh, that sux. hey i was checking your price...i installed alarms at the stealership and my "special stealer price" was still like $5 on those type of fuses, and i was 17 when i had that job, that was a grip back then!
I didn't go to the stealership for that 30A JCASE for that same reason, over-friggin'-priced! I went to 4 different stores and all were out of them but carried them all for around 1.50-2 a piece. the places were the major stores, autozone, pepboys, oreilly's, and napa.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:10 AM

Thanks for all the info. Those prices are much better than I thougth they were going to be... I was anticipating $10+.

FWIW... I'm wiring directly into the ignition wire... lime green and black wire under the steering column. I don't like wiring into fuse boxes.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by keisur
what, I was up until 2am doing mine, but the beetles were flying all over in the garage and kept flying into my shirt.
I don't have a garage to work in.

Quick Reply: Need help ASAP - Ignition wire