Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need help with Addicted Off road bumper

Old 01-09-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Addicted Off road bumper

I bought a plate bumper from addicted off road for my dad a while back. I finally got it in and I can't figure out how this thing mounts. No instructions or anything came with it or on their site. It says minor cutting needed to fit. No biggie..but I can't even figure how this goes. I have emailed and had my wife send 2 messages on fb to them with no return calls or messages. We had this same problem when we ordered. I tried to call off and on many times and never got an answer. I figured since it was close to thanksgiving that maybe they were off for the holidays. I see now that they are just that hard to get in contact with.

haso anyone else ever dealt with them?

I'm going to try and includesign a few pics and maybe someone can see something I dont
Attached Thumbnails Need help with Addicted Off road bumper-20170108_175743.jpg   Need help with Addicted Off road bumper-20170108_175803.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 04:55 PM

As you can see, it looks like this piece is boxed and would fit the end of the frame. It doesn't though. It is about 3" off and as you can also see, the upright tabs are almost hitting the lower radiation support now. If it is pushed back it will be into that support. Where the bumper looks to go up to the frame, you would have to cut off a brace/bushing support part of the body to frame.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 PM

After a bit of digging I found this:
1) you need to trim off the side bumper supports. And, you will need to trim off the original frame cap on the front of the frame to allow the new crossmember to slide over the 2x3 frame. This all can be done easily with an angle grinder.

can someone point out the side bumper support to me..just to clarify I'm looking at the right part
Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i would recommend that you contact Scotty at Addicted just to be sure...
Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have no clue what is going on with Addicted Offroad !!!

Very long production times Months !!

Impossible to contact Never returning Emails or Voice Messages
Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 PM

I have called and called and called. Left 2 messages on fb, and an email. I called twice today and left two voice mails. I don't know what else I can do..and I don't know what to do with this bumper. I see where it looks like it boxes over the frame horns..I get that...but it's hitting whatever the thing is with the bushing on it that is right off the end of the frame about an inch back.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:40 PM

Here is what it's hitting and not allowing it to go back
Attached Thumbnails Need help with Addicted Off road bumper-20170110_183749.jpg  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:29 AM

Red face

The part your red arrow is pointed at is the side bumper support

You need to trim things to fit .

If you were close I would be glad to help.

If your uncomfortable trimming parts to get the bumper to fit return to stock.

Another option is to design and build your own front bumper support that will work as things are
Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 AM

Ok..getting a little further now. Is there any way you may can show me on that pic where I need to trim it at? Alps, how far back should the support bumper sit? Should it go all the way flush with the end of the frame or will there be a gap there?
I'm wanting it to sit as tight as possible to the truck
Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Red face

You have the parts in front of you .

If I had the same parts and the truck it would be easy to figure out .

Did you get hardware with the new Bumper ??

The best I can say is figure out where the bumper support should be to give you the fit you want.

Measure and trim accordingly

Does the bumper attach to the front cab mount ??

That looks to be a Tacoma

What I did when I installed my Smitty Built Bumper was built my own New Cross member attaching to the points where the Tie down Hooks are and to new pieces that I made for the front of the frame

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-11-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:22 AM

The bumper attaches to that part with the red arrow. It mounts on the left side of it looking at the pic. No hardware came with the bumper.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might have to end up welding the mounting bracket on, it looks like your frame rails don't stick out far enough in front of the body mount to slide the bracket all the way on?

I have the Addicted Offroad tube bumper bolted (not welded) on my 4Runner, the mounting method is similar to yours. To mount it you have to cut/grind the flanges off the end cap on the frame rail so its a smooth rectangle, and the bumper mounting bracket should slide over the two frame rails (paint the grind marks with Rustoleum before mounting though). The bracket should slide onto the rail far enough that the lower tab on the Addicted bracket will line up with your factory tow point mounting holes (2 per side). Then, using the bracket as a template you'll need to drill a big vertical hole through the top and bottom of each frame rail and then put a long grade-8 bolt (don't remember the size, 5/8" x 5.5" long maybe?) through the bumper/frame rail to mount it in place. You'll want a sharp drill bit for that part, I had to buy a new drill bit for the task.

Here is a good step-by-step for install on a 3rd gen: http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/p...per-53386.html

Frame rail end caps pre-grinding:

Mounted frame bracket (notice two lower bolts in place of factory tow point, as well as big bolt going vertically through frame rail):

Last edited by mastacox; 01-31-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did some reading, looks like there may be a known "short frame issue" with some Tacomas that prevents mounting the bracket. Take a look here: frame extension pieces for Addicted Offroad front bumper. I think you might have to weld your bracket on if you want to make that bumper work.

Originally Posted by 45ACP
Yeah, my truck was the first one Scotty came across with the short frame issue. He ended up making a new crossmember with square tubing and gusseted/welded the ˟˟˟˟ out of it.

Last edited by mastacox; 01-31-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:44 PM

I just got mine on last weekend. Very tight tolerances.I pulled it off as one piece to get the winch completely wired/setup and it was a piece of cake getting it off and back on.

Last edited by Dailydriver2; 01-31-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Search this Thread