Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need Advice! Transmission related

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice! Transmission related

Ok, I was driving out of town last week on the interstate. I make it 10-15 miles on the interstate and all of a sudden my A.T. Oil Temp light comes on. I have been utterly pissed at the work that this guy has done on "rebuilding" my transmission. This is not the first time the light has come on while I was trying to make it out of town. The point is, only being able to go 20 miles before overheating is absurd. So I keep driving with the light on. I was just like it I don't really care at this point, its either going to make it or break down. So I make it maybe a total of 20-25 miles. I'm going up a hill and I got an 18 wheeler tailgating me. I'm looking in my rearview mirror and all of a sudden smoke is billowing out from behind me. The 18 wheeler backs off and switches lanes, and I pull of to the first off-ramp I see. I pull over and turn the 4Runner off and smoke is still pouring out from underneath the car and under the hood. I call the fire department and they come out. Luckily it did not catch fire. We checked it out and pinpointed the transmission fluid had burst out somehow but we were sure it was tranny fluid. I get the report from the fire dept and get the 4Runner towed home.

The next morning I check it out a little and see some electrical tape underneath the rig near the transmission...at the end of a line. I looked for a little bit but could not pinpoint where it came from. The following Monday I tow it to the place that "rebuilt" my transmission. I tell him I am furious at the constant hassle I have to endure with his product. I told him this was unacceptable. He gets back to me the next day and tells me that transmissions have a vent of some sort that will spit it out if it gets too hot or something. It's obviously a cooling problem so I tell him to get that checked out and get back to me. There is already a cooler on there which he installed.

So I talk to him Thursday and he said that there is no line pressure for the cooling system. He said it is a "split year" model and that has something to do with the way it is setup or something I'm not totally sure. Now he told me there is an EPC (Electronic Pressure control) and or mechanical pressure regulation. Now in each gear it is supposed to have a specific pressure. He said in Drive I have 75, in reverse 100 and when you power brake it it is supposed to double. Mine does not. I hope I'm typing this correctly. So I tell him to keep checkin around and see what they come up with. I talk to him Friday and he said that my computer has a TPS code. The code is Code 41. I'm looking here where I wrote down the code and I wrote underneath it from PCM not TCM. (Sorry, I forgot what that means) So I get back to him before they close Friday afternoon and he said he had pulled out the transmission pan or the whole bellhousing what have you. He said by the smell of the fluid inside, he was going to rebuild it again. Free obviously because it is still under the 6 month warranty which runs out October 16th I think.

All the hassle work he has done has been free. Here is what he did for the rebuild:

New Banner Kit
New Filter (B)
New Band, Brake
New Fluid
Labor (Rr) (B)
Labor (R) (B)
Shop Supplies
Reconditioned / Rebuilt Pressure Plase Forward Clutch
New Kit, Thrust Washer and Bearing
New Sprag, Low
Reconditioned / Rebuilt Solenod Pack (I think he means solenoid, probably typo)
Reconditioned / Rebuilt Torque Converter
New T.V. Cable

The rebuild was completed 4/14/05.

What would you guys do? Thanks for taking the time to read about my situation. I greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by 4RocRunner92; 10-02-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:09 PM

bump to top
Old 10-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Also, should I demand another 6 month warranty?
Old 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM

bu/\/\p
Old 10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
Also, should I demand another 6 month warranty?
Yes, but ask. You won't get anything if you start with an attitude. Just tell him that since it failed and needs rebuilding you would like another warranty to cover the new work.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:05 AM

Cool.