Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need advice concerning a 3.0 engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice concerning a 3.0 engine rebuild

I'm hoping to have a rebuilt 3.0 put in my 1989 4runner. I am new to toyota's and was hoping to get some advice.

1st - Does anyone have any suggestions about what other things I should have replaced when the mechanic has the engine out? I just had the clutch done last month so that shoudn't need re-doing. I am going to put in a new radiator, belts, hoses. Should I upgrade the cooling fan?

2nd - Any recommendations on what type of plugs and wires to buy for it?

3rd - Would it be a good idea to change out all the fluids in the tranny and transfer case? It has 247,000 miles on it, not sure when it was done last.

4th - What would be a ballpark fair price? I received one quote of $800, just wanted to check with anyone else to see what they paid. If anyone has the name of a good toyota mechanic in eastern PA I would like to take it to someone that will do it right.

As you can tell I am not confident to do any of this work myself, everyone's help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:00 PM

If it has 247,000 miles on it and still runs - I would suggest you sell it and get a lower mileage model.

Parts on these Toyotas are extremely expensive - and if it actually has 247,000 on it - most of the parts are near the end of their designed life.

Buying a Toyota - 1 part at a time will be frustrating and extremely expensive

A rebuilt 3.0 will cost you around $3,000. Automatic Tranny around 1,700.00 - not including installation.

Good luck
Old 04-21-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by radrex
If it has 247,000 miles on it and still runs - I would suggest you sell it and get a lower mileage model.

Parts on these Toyotas are extremely expensive - and if it actually has 247,000 on it - most of the parts are near the end of their designed life.

Buying a Toyota - 1 part at a time will be frustrating and extremely expensive

A rebuilt 3.0 will cost you around $3,000. Automatic Tranny around 1,700.00 - not including installation.

Good luck
Sorry, forgot to mention it has a 5 speed manual tranny which seems to be doing fine, I didn't plan to replace that as well. I found the long block for $2400. Pretty much seems to be the going rate. I'm not planning on getting rid of it.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by fltmedic
Sorry, forgot to mention it has a 5 speed manual tranny which seems to be doing fine, I didn't plan to replace that as well. I found the long block for $2400. Pretty much seems to be the going rate. I'm not planning on getting rid of it.

Sheesh 2400$ There is a super good machine shop in Portland,Or called M+B cylinder head. To quote the mechanics shop in salem that pointed me to him " If it even looks like a cylinder head he can weld it up rebuild it and warranty it" This guy is an aluminum god when it comes to welding and rebuilding cyl heads. He rebuilds all the heads you would buy from the local major auto wreckers like foster auto parts and mazda toyota wrecking. He also rebuilds engines as well. I inquired about a 3.0 rebuild and he said he does them regularly for 1500$. He does the full deal with new or reground parts and a 1 year warranty on everything. I had my mazda cyl head welded and rebuilt there about 2.5 yrs ago for half of what people nationally wanted and its still running strong as ever with 0 problems.

If you need a rebuilt 3.0 I strongly encourage you to contact M+B cyl head in Portland,Or (503) 286-1725 The guy to talk to is Brian. I told him that he was like a well kept secret and that he should advertise a bit. He does no advertising and has plenty to do all the time just on word of mouth and the big orders he gets from the local wrecking yard giants.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:21 PM

The heads are very difficult to rebuild. The valves are difficult to adjust - very time consuming for a machinist to do properly. Most do not use shims for adjustment, they remove the valves after grinding them - and grind down the stem ends until they get the adjustment correct. The cam bearings are integral and cannot be replaced. A Top End Gasket set is 220.00. There is a reason a rebuilt engine with a warranty is 2500 - 3500 bucks.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by fltmedic
I'm hoping to have a rebuilt 3.0 put in my 1989 4runner. I am new to toyota's and was hoping to get some advice.

1st - Does anyone have any suggestions about what other things I should have replaced when the mechanic has the engine out? I just had the clutch done last month so that shoudn't need re-doing. I am going to put in a new radiator, belts, hoses. Should I upgrade the cooling fan?

2nd - Any recommendations on what type of plugs and wires to buy for it?

3rd - Would it be a good idea to change out all the fluids in the tranny and transfer case? It has 247,000 miles on it, not sure when it was done last.

4th - What would be a ballpark fair price? I received one quote of $800, just wanted to check with anyone else to see what they paid. If anyone has the name of a good toyota mechanic in eastern PA I would like to take it to someone that will do it right.

As you can tell I am not confident to do any of this work myself, everyone's help is appreciated.

Thanks.

I would check out who ever you go to with a magnifiying glass. contact your local better buisness offfice and see if there are any complants unless you trust them or have hade good luck wiyh them in the past.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:15 PM

gasket sets are 220.00 but the only toyota critical gaskets are the head gaskets you can use felpro for the rest with no problems. I had a felpro set and Brian @M+B told me to skip the perma blows (felpro) and get OE head gaskets from Toyota. He said the reast of the felpro gaskets are fine but the heads need OE stuff.

Edit.. https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/index.html
this is where I get my OE parts for cheap

The head gaskets where 50.00 a piece instead of 70.00

Last edited by Ganoid; 04-21-2004 at 07:20 PM.