Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need advice about buying Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice about buying Tacoma

I'm looking to buy an '01 - '04 Tacoma and would like some advice. To start with, I'm looking for a double cab with 4wd and capable of some mild hauling/towing. These are a few questions that came to mind...
  1. Is there any downside between the 4 cyl and the V6? Is the 3.4L a good engine for what I'm looking for?
  2. What kind of lifetime mileage can I expect from these engines? Should I spend a little more and get a low mileage truck or is it barely broken in at 110k miles?
  3. Is there a specific year that stands out as "a better buy" compared to the others?
  4. Anyone know maximum tire size I can fit at stock height?
Thanks and any additional info is appreciated.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:49 PM

01-04 is a good choice, the earlier year tacoma's supposedly had a frame weakspot where the frame begins to rise towards the back and becomes 3wall instead of boxed. Id still examine that area on any taco before i bought it though.

the 3.4L 5vz-fe is an awesome motor, very torquey, decent top end, and i know several people who have those motors running like new with 180k on them. When my 04 tacoma was stock height i fit 32x10.5 tires on it with no rubbing at all. you could probably go 32x11.5 with a little more positive backspace. If your going to be getting a double cab you dont have a choice because they are all auto. Im not even sure if they offer a the 3rz-fe (2.7 4 cyl) in the double cab but if you want to be doing any type of towing with it i would definately recomend getting the V6, its a great motor all around.

hope that helps
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.
Anything particular I should look for when inspecting a prospect?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 AM

I have a 98 Tacoma with the V6 and 208,000 miles on it and the engine is rock solid.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 AM

I have a 03 with the 2.7 4. If I had to do it again I would go with the 6 just because the more torque when pulling a boat. The 2.7 is OK but I plan to mod it a little when other projects get finished. The Only real problem I have ever had is the factory CD player kept going out. I'm on my 3rd one before my warrenty expired.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:09 AM

i have a 2002 double cab and love it! i wanted a 4runner but wound up with the truck and dont regret it. i can stick bleeding dead deer in the back. lol!

also, doublecabs only come in v6 and auto trannies.. get a toolbox for extra storage room, you can always remove it if need be
Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 AM

I also have a 2001 Double Cab 4x4 and it fits my lifestyle perfect. I loved my 4Runner(s), but I really needed a truck bed for hauling misc crap and hunting, and also needed to seat 4 people. The DC Tacoma was the perfect choice. Mine has 108k miles right now and doesn't miss a beat. I would expect it to go at least to 300k, if I keep up with all of the maintenance and avoid large puddles.

All of the 01-04 Double Cabs look the same. The later year SR5's come with painted trim standard (IIRC), but it wasn't a bid deal for me. I actually like the unpainted fender flares and bumper. Limiteds get the same treatment, and also comes with a sunroof standard, if that is a big deal to you (I'd rather have more headroom). One thing that you should definitely look at is the TRD package or the Rear Locker option. I haven't seen too many DC's WITHOUT this package, but they do exist.

Good luck with the search.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
I also have a 2001 Double Cab 4x4 and it fits my lifestyle perfect. I loved my 4Runner(s), but I really needed a truck bed for hauling misc crap and hunting, and also needed to seat 4 people. The DC Tacoma was the perfect choice. Mine has 108k miles right now and doesn't miss a beat. I would expect it to go at least to 300k, if I keep up with all of the maintenance and avoid large puddles.

All of the 01-04 Double Cabs look the same. The later year SR5's come with painted trim standard (IIRC), but it wasn't a bid deal for me. I actually like the unpainted fender flares and bumper. Limiteds get the same treatment, and also comes with a sunroof standard, if that is a big deal to you (I'd rather have more headroom). One thing that you should definitely look at is the TRD package or the Rear Locker option. I haven't seen too many DC's WITHOUT this package, but they do exist.

Good luck with the search.

mine isnt trd,( dont need it) its the standard SR-5 4x4.. i almost had a sunroof installed on mine but decided not to due to $$. i love my truck, 110k miles and notta damn thing wrong with her. she drives just like it did when i bought it at 52k miles.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as those years I'd try to find a 01 or 02 because the 03 and up have that throttle-by-wire crap. Be aware that the Tacomas have a frame rust problem (see sticky above). Right now the buyback program doesn't cover newer than the 2000 models but the newer models seem to be having the same problems just not as far along yet. So its possible they could be added to the buyback program later (which could actually be a good thing if they do the 1.5 X Kelly Blue Book like they are for the 96-00 models).
Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
As far as those years I'd try to find a 01 or 02 because the 03 and up have that throttle-by-wire crap. Be aware that the Tacomas have a frame rust problem (see sticky above). Right now the buyback program doesn't cover newer than the 2000 models but the newer models seem to be having the same problems just not as far along yet. So its possible they could be added to the buyback program later (which could actually be a good thing if they do the 1.5 X Kelly Blue Book like they are for the 96-00 models).
yep they do, i dont drive in salt much and when i do it gets washed asap. i have rust spots (small for now) all over my frame. so i do hope they do this in the next year or so. it will be just in time for me to upgrade to the newer models. OR is that a bad idea to get the newer model tacos?? i dont know much about them.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
so i do hope they do this in the next year or so. it will be just in time for me to upgrade to the newer models.
BTW just to clarify, that was pure speculation on my part, Toyota has NOT said anything that I know of suggesting that.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 AM

BTW just to clarify, that was pure speculation on my part, Toyota has NOT said anything that I know of suggesting that.
oh i know this was brought up a week or so ago..

do any of you guys know if the newer taco models 05+ are better or as good as the 3rd gen tacos?? overall? bc IF they do this, I MAY get a newer model bc my buddy can hook me up (yota salesman).. or should i stick with the 3rds till they all fall apart??
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Every truck I've been under has a bit of surface rust on the frames. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure to spray it down everytime you drive on salted roads. I don't think 01+'s will have any widespread frame rust issues. Even the 95-00 that are on the buyback right now only have a few cases compared to the number of those trucks out there. My local Toyota dealership reported only having 1 person with the rust issue so far, and I'm in a state that throws down salt at a hint of a snow storm.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM

do any of you guys know if the newer taco models 05+ are better or as good as the 3rd gen tacos?? overall? bc IF they do this, I MAY get a newer model bc my buddy can hook me up (yota salesman).. or should i stick with the 3rds till they all fall apart??
Better? It depends on the person. Do you need a little more extra room and can you tolerate a bigger vehicle? The 05+ Tacoma DC's size is almost that of a Tundra (AC). I don't need more room nor would I want a bigger rig. The only thing I envy is the 4.0L V6. That is a great engine. Anyway, let's try to stay on topic.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

OR is that a bad idea to get the newer model tacos?? i dont know much about them.
I don't know much about them either, but I did look over this one on the dealer lot by me and it doesn't have a boxed frame anywhere that I could see. As far as I know Dana Corp is still making the frames for all the Tacomas and Tundras although you would hope they started rust proofing them now.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Every truck I've been under has a bit of surface rust on the frames. Nothing to worry about. Just make sure to spray it down everytime you drive on salted roads. I don't think 01+'s will have any widespread frame rust issues. Even the 95-00 that are on the buyback right now only have a few cases compared to the number of those trucks out there. My local Toyota dealership reported only having 1 person with the rust issue so far, and I'm in a state that throws down salt at a hint of a snow storm.

I'll have to respectfully disagree and this 42 page thread over on TTORA is why:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=95993

Some dealers have big lots filled with Tacos:

Pics:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...&postcount=533

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...postcount=1055

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...postcount=1245

http://www.ttora.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1210942906

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-16-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 AM

I'll have to respectfully disagree and this 42 page thread over on TTORA is why:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=95993

Some dealers have big lots filled with Tacos:

Pics as soon as I find them
Yes, I have read that thread. I do not know the official count of Tacomas w/ frame rust issues vs. ones without, but just from my experience at my local dealerships, the problem seems to be very limited. Internet forums have been known to blow things out of proportion. I'm not saying that is or isn't the case here, as more and more people become aware, it will become evident one way or the other (IMO, I don't think it will be a widespread case and only a few will be affected, comparatively. You also have to account for the scamming idiots that will try to rust out their frames and ruin it for everyone else ). And, yes, any prospects looking to buy a Tacoma should check this out, no doubt, but definitely not something that should scare you away from Toyota.

Last edited by cackalak han; 05-15-2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 AM

I don't know much about them either, but I did look over this one on the dealer lot by me and it doesn't have a boxed frame anywhere that I could see. As far as I know Dana Corp is still making the frames for all the Tacomas and Tundras although you would hope they started rust proofing them now.

no the new ones are not boxed in frames. i knew that. not too worried about it, bc they still have the same safety ratings as the 3rd gens... i am asking more about quality of the newer ones and what little quirks they have that are anoying that most newer model anythings have until fixed
Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Nothing to worry about.

Well this would be something to worry about.

]

But I'm sure its mainly a rusy belt issue and I guess Utah doesn't have it as bad as some.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM

omg! can you say safety hazzard?? see, to me i would have done something aobut that a long time ago. maybe spraying some kind of rust prevention or what not on it. damn

Quick Reply: Need advice about buying Tacoma