Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice

I have been looking for a 4 wheeler that is fairly cheap, and can be put back together to be used as a daily driver. I also plan some upgrades for it to make it fairly off road worthy. Today i ran across an 86 4runner, it is a 4 banger, standard , with a factory ac. It has no power windows or locks but the interior is in fairly good shape. You can tell the vehicles age but i dont know alot about these 4runners. It is selling for 2500, I have the money to do everything correctly and make it look and run like new. The question I have is do you guys think it is worth it, and is it a good daily driver to be the primary vehicle.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:41 PM

go newer

If you have the money to make this runner as good as new and make it off road worthy, I honestly think id dump that same money into something newer. only because your looking for a daily driver. Just my opinion though.

either way good luck with it
Old 11-04-2004, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by LIYota31
If you have the money to make this runner as good as new and make it off road worthy, I honestly think id dump that same money into something newer. only because your looking for a daily driver. Just my opinion though.

either way good luck with it
Man i have always liked this body style, and I am planning on doing most of the work myself. I just reached a point where i guess I want to build something. Off road worthy to me was not to build a champion rock crawler, but just a good all around vehicles that i can take on trails in some sand, and some mud be able to cross a body of water a couple of feet deep. I just want peoples opinions on this particular vehicle that it could be used in the way described above if the 4 banger were rebuilt and have some goodies added would it provide adequate power for the above mentioned activities. Besides i have been looking around the there seems to be alot of aftermarket goodies available for these vehicles
Old 11-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by balou62
Man i have always liked this body style, and I am planning on doing most of the work myself. I just reached a point where i guess I want to build something. Off road worthy to me was not to build a champion rock crawler, but just a good all around vehicles that i can take on trails in some sand, and some mud be able to cross a body of water a couple of feet deep. I just want peoples opinions on this particular vehicle that it could be used in the way described above if the 4 banger were rebuilt and have some goodies added would it provide adequate power for the above mentioned activities. Besides i have been looking around the there seems to be alot of aftermarket goodies available for these vehicles
There are quite a few people on this board who have daily driver 1st gens. If you feel like you can get it in good shape, then I say go for it. Nothing wrong with having an old rig for a DD if it's in good condition.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Banned

it will be a good rig..... they are tough... my truck is an 85 4x2, and i have already replaced the engine with a junkyard engine and its currently apart right now due to having a blown head gasket or warped head, but thats my fault as my vehicles tend to live their lives in the upper rpm band....
Old 11-04-2004, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 86 was a DD until about a year ago and still could be if I chose. If building something is your interest then I think it could be a very good choice. I have 230k on the original engine, no tranny issues or other drive line problems. The suspension needs a good refurbish and is on the agenda. With an 86 you'll get EFI which is good for wheeling and the IFS which is good for road manners on a DD, but less desirable for wheeling. IFS is fine for the majority of wheelers out there IMHO though. It will get you where you want to go and home again. The 22RE is a great, reliable engine and cheap to mod to boot. Personally I prefer that my rig doesn't have power stuff like windows and locks. When my window regulator went out after 16 years it cost me 25 bucks and an hour or so to put it in. Maybe you can get the price down a bit but if not that still isn't bad. Otherwise, if you don't want to build, I guess I would agree with LIYota31 and put the dough towards something newer. Good luck.

Mike
Old 11-04-2004, 08:09 PM

Yeah I have heard good things about these trucks, and like i said i love the body style especially the removable top. I just want to drive something something a little diffrient with a little personality. Dont get me wrong I think the newer vehicles are fantastic and really like them alot, but they just dont seem to fit what i am looking for like this older 4runner I figure rebuild the engine , upgrade the suspension with a lift and needed new parts and a new clutch make sure all the electrical is ok and this thing should keep me going for a while. Anyway you all will be hearing from me I asking for quite a bit of input from some of you who have already done this