Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Need 3.4 Injector Installation write up

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Need 3.4 Injector Installation write up

Hey guys,

Is there one somewhere around here on this forum? I didn't find one in the T-100 section.

A buddy of mine has a 2003 T-100 with the 3.4 and has asked me what's involved in the replacement. He needs to put a new one in. I've never worked on a 3.4 and haven't seen one in person enough to know exactly how it's done.

Thank ya kindly!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/f...es-how-109389/
Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Ah! Muchos gracias, senior! Last question, can trouble codes be retrieved from the ECU on the OBD II systems in the same manner as OBD I.....ie, using a paper clip? Or, is the only way to have it scanned like at Auto Zone or something?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:28 AM

I believe obdII codes can be read via recording the blinking LED lights from the ecu. Dont quote me on that.

Paper clip? Not sure about that haha! Scantools are cheap. Just dont buy one from autozone. A friend of mine paid $250 and it didnt even give him live data.

You can spend $20 for an obd>USB connecter. Assuming you have a notebook/netbook to hook it up to. Load some free obd software and you're good to go. Way better than a scantool imo. Cheaper as well!

Oh, and de nada siempre ningun problema

Last edited by post office; 12-20-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 AM

I had never worked on my 3.4 until i had an injector go bad. Its actually not too difficult. I have the older 3.4 with egr and a dozen vacuum hoses and i didnt have much problem. Other than the IAC air line getting disconnected and me not finding it for 2 weeks. Strange it didnt immediately throw a code.

I spent alot of time studying the FSM (available for download if you need it)

Once you figure out the location of every single sensor on the engine, things get considerably easier. I'll admit, when i first popped the hood and realized that I "had to remove all this crap" i was a bit overwhelmed. Just take your time. Take pictures if you need, and double check everything.

Although, with the help of yotatech, there isnt much(DIY) that isnt possible on these engines. Having a full writeup with pictures is a tremendous help.

I will say, the hardest part about replacing my injectors, was removing that 10mm bolt on the back side (firewall) of the motor. Be sure to blow everything out really well with compressed air before you remove the upper plenum. If i were to do it again, this is one thing i would make sure i did. I was worried i let stuff fall in the injector holes. It all worked out fine however.

Last edited by post office; 12-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by post office
I believe obdII codes can be read via recording the blinking LED lights from the ecu. Dont quote me on that.

Paper clip? Not sure about that haha! Scantools are cheap. Just dont buy one from autozone. A friend of mine paid $250 and it didnt even give him live data.

You can spend $20 for an obd>USB connecter. Assuming you have a notebook/netbook to hook it up to. Load some free obd software and you're good to go. Way better than a scantool imo. Cheaper as well!

Oh, and de nada siempre ningun problema
Well, Auto Zone does the scans for free, so that would negate needing to buy a scanner or anything else from anywhere.

Yeah, a paperclip....lol! Maybe you don't know much about the earlier 22re's and 3.0's, but they're all OBD I and simply shorting the diagnostic terminals with a paperclip or wire is a very common practice for retrieving codes. Since I've never worked on OBD II systems or even a 3.4, I wondered if it was still a possible method.

I believe your last sentence says basically "it's never a problem"? You're gonna lose me if you get too deep in the Espanol. I'm just learning again after two year of it in high school......over twenty years ago.

Last edited by thook; 12-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:56 AM

de nada - it's nothing
2 siempre - always
3 ningun problema

I googled it. I was way too stoned back in foreign language classes to learn much of anything. My teacher was smokin' though . Watching her lips move as she attempted to learn me some spanish was one of my top reasons of going to school back then.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM

I had never worked on my 3.4 until i had an injector go bad. Its actually not too difficult. I have the older 3.4 with egr and a dozen vacuum hoses and i didnt have much problem. Other than the IAC air line getting disconnected and me not finding it for 2 weeks. Strange it didnt immediately throw a code.

I spent alot of time studying the FSM (available for download if you need it)

Once you figure out the location of every single sensor on the engine, things get considerably easier. I'll admit, when i first popped the hood and realized that I "had to remove all this crap" i was a bit overwhelmed. Just take your time. Take pictures if you need, and double check everything.

Although, with the help of yotatech, there isnt much(DIY) that isnt possible on these engines. Having a full writeup with pictures is a tremendous help.

I will say, the hardest part about replacing my injectors, was removing that 10mm bolt on the back side (firewall) of the motor. Be sure to blow everything out really well with compressed air before you remove the upper plenum. If i were to do it again, this is one thing i would make sure i did. I was worried i let stuff fall in the injector holes. It all worked out fine however.
Yeah, crap falling into the injector ports is not good. I mean, there's some kinds of crap that'll just be blown out and/or burned in combustion, but no need to take any chances with damage. Might as well keep it all clean.

Codes won't always show up immediately. Of course, it depends on what's going on, but like with a IAC line...if it's a vac line...it may take a little time for the system to actually see there's a problem in the A/F exhaust mix. In other words, it's gotta get to a point where the ECU can no longer compensate. It just has to get that out of balance.

Anyway, I'm actually asking for all this info for a friend of mine. Myself, I've had a lot of experience wrenching on the 22re and 3vze inside and out. After looking over the link you provided with pics, the 3.4 really doesn't look any different than the 3vze, though. I wanted to tell my friend (who's worked more exclusively with the 22re) that it probably wouldn't be any different (in so far as where the injectors are located and how to get to them), but I couldn't be positive and didn't want to misinform him. And, since he lives an hour and a half from me, I don't have immediate access to him or his vehicle to see the engine similarities/differences and tell him how to get to the injectors out/in, either.

Anyway, thanks for the link and the additional info. The pics are a definite help, indeed. I'll keep the 10mm bolt difficulty in mind.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM

de nada - it's nothing
2 siempre - always
3 ningun problema

I googled it. I was way too stoned back in foreign language classes to learn much of anything. My teacher was smokin' though . Watching her lips move as she attempted to learn me some spanish was one of my top reasons of going to school back then.
Now, if you could translate your Spanish sentence into English for context, what would it say?

Oh yeah!...my teacher was hot, too. About 5'4, dark haired, brown eyed, and Puerto Rican. Yowza! Hips that were nothing short of magic in motion....hehe. Yeah, all us guys were mostly distracted in class.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:13 PM

Bump....

Paperclip? Anyone? Will it work?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
paper clip will not work. Obd 2 port is the only data port to the ecu. The diagnostic port under the hood is for testing cc, abs, and such.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM

Fair enough. Thanks, Vital!