Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Nav Install - 2003 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav Install - 2003 4runner

I just purchased the Nav system from a Camry, all in one design, and I am going to install in my 2003 4runner. I'm thinking of installing myself, replacing the base JVC unit. It came with an amp and wiring harness, do I need to install the amp? I thought I read it was needed for the upgraded JVC stereo, but not sure with this Camry NAV. Also, is the wiring harness universal? Any Ideas?

Last edited by skipjakk; 11-25-2003 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:05 PM

if its anything like the honda odyssey navigation system, it is nearly impossible to add on navigation to a car that did not come with one from the factory..... unfortunately it is not a plug and play system and there are other components such as speed sensors, gyros (compass) that help the navi know your position in relation to the maps.... that you would have to find and install..... that is if it the same as the honda navi system....

i know of a person that installed a navigation system to their van that did not come with navi from the factory and it ended up costing as much as buying it as a factory installed option..... and that is not taking into account the labor of dismantling almost everything the vehicle.....

don't mean to burst you bubble.... but just letting you know it may be a tough road ahead...... best of luck.....

JQ
Old 11-25-2003, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are doing the work yourself, there should be no reason you can't do it for a reasonable buck. Depending on how sophisticated the NAV is will determine the install difficulty. Does the Camry unit have any other extenal connections besides the GPS receiver? If not, install will be really easy.

I have a 2000 Jeep GC and have been looking to add the Jeep NAV to it. The whole unit is like $1300 on the web. The option is $2000 from the dealer. The install would be pretty easy too.

It helps if you aren't afraid to take your rig apart. I installed car stereo gear for a few years, so the prospect of pulling out an interior to me is not a daunting task.

Sounds like you'll need to install the amp (or an aftermarket amp) based on the previous setup for the Camry. You can probably get an adapter harness to install an aftermarket amp, or you may need to butch the harness if one isn't available and you want to go aftermarket.

The harness is also likely dedicated. Since you are the first (that I know of) to do this, there will be some pain you'll need to endure. Let me know how it pans out, I wouldn't mind fitting my 93 with one if it works...

Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2003, 05:44 AM

Nav unit

It is an all in one unit, Nav DVD part of the main stereo component, the GPS antenna is the only external piece.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Should be a cakewalk then...
Old 11-26-2003, 12:15 PM
TOR

NAV

Man if you get that thing installed and running PROPERLY in your 4-runner then let me know. To my knowledge if the vehicle didn't come with it then you can't add it. As well as the wiring harnesses for the Camry and 4-Runner are night and day different. Anything is possible, if it works let me know I have always wanted one in my truck.

Todd
Old 12-02-2003, 07:30 PM

Installation

Well, good news, bad news.

Took apart my console and removed my stereo unit to make sure the NAV system worked, the wiring harness that came with the NAV unit plugged into the existing wiring fine, and the nav booted up and ran. I ran the plugs for the amp to the glove compartment box as a temporary location for the amp, and plugged that in as well. Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting any sound. It looks like the amp power wire runs back through the harness, but I can't find a plug for it. My guess is that there is none, since I my 4runner is wired for the standard stereo. If anyone knows where or if there is a power feed for the amp or where it plugs in, let me know.....
Old 12-02-2003, 08:14 PM

Re: Installation

Sounds like a easy problem to fix. if it's a acc power supply you want to connect it too ACC power and if it's full time power you can go to the direct power.

direct power hot power all the time.

ACC power is only on when car is in the on position.

Good luck!

Originally posted by skipjakk
Well, good news, bad news.

Took apart my console and removed my stereo unit to make sure the NAV system worked, the wiring harness that came with the NAV unit plugged into the existing wiring fine, and the nav booted up and ran. I ran the plugs for the amp to the glove compartment box as a temporary location for the amp, and plugged that in as well. Unfortunately I don't seem to be getting any sound. It looks like the amp power wire runs back through the harness, but I can't find a plug for it. My guess is that there is none, since I my 4runner is wired for the standard stereo. If anyone knows where or if there is a power feed for the amp or where it plugs in, let me know.....
Old 12-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

I hope this works out for you. Although I don't think that it will. The navigation unit is a one piece unit, but it has about 12-16 differerent wires running into a single wiring harness that plugs into the back of the navigation unit. You haves wires for everything from speedo, braking, to backing up. So unless your vehicle came pre-wired (which I doubt toyota did) then your just going to have a very expensive am/fm cd player.

You might try contacting toyota and see if they will sell you the wiring harness, look at the diagram and make sure it has wires going to everything. not just a power in, antenna, and a ground wire.

I know when I put in the alpine system, it wasn't very difficult, but it was time consuming, and your pretty much going to remove the entire dash.

good luck with this .. I love my nav, and I won't own another car without it.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:50 AM

RE: Install

I have the wiring harness that comes with the NAV unit(from the Camry), and its does work with the 4runner (plugged it in, boots up,) but I suspect you may be right in regards to additional wires, there are several empty receptacles on the back of the unit. I will have to check a wiring diagram and see if there are any additional wires. I was hoping it was prewired and it was just a case of plugging in the new harness, but it may not be that easy....
Old 12-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Its still not that many wires. Speed sensor, reverse and brakes. Just run the brakes and reverse to a tail light. Dont know where the speedsensor is on a 4rth gen though.

Dont let people tell you you cant do something DO IT!
Old 12-03-2003, 12:42 PM

Not out yet

Haven't quit yet...

BTW-Does anyone know where the amp is installed for the upgraded JBL system?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to discourage him, just letting him know it wasn't going to be plug-and-play.

I hope he gets it work, and then does a write-up for everyone to be able to do it.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:35 PM

Re: Not out yet

Originally posted by skipjakk
BTW-Does anyone know where the amp is installed for the upgraded JBL system?
Right quarter panal.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:57 PM

Nav Install 2003 4runner

Turns out the guy forgot to send me part of the harness, there is a cable that plugs in a grey socket in the back of the unit, its for the speed and reverse, he's sending to me in the next couple of days.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:54 PM

Get it to work?

I just bought a NAV system which is out of a camry, I'm curious what all I need to do to get it to work in my 2k3 4Runner, I've followed this thread, then it ended....Can someone please expound on this subject, I'll have my NAV in a few days and sure want to put it in and have it work the first time...comments please?

Tnx,
jermut
Old 01-12-2004, 08:04 PM

I guess I should mention...

The NAV unit I have is the double din deal, single piece, no ecu, not sure who makes it, and would like to know (if anyone knows) does this thing have line level in for sat radio? would be nice instead of the modulator.

tnx,
jermut
Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 PM

Nav info

Its actually installed and working in my 2003 4runner, I hooked it up and got it working, but didn't have the tools to do the actual wiring work so I took it to a friend at a stereo shop. They installed it in about 1 hour. The wiring harness that comes with the 2004 camry NAV pluged right into the 4runner wiring, the amp plugs into the NAV unit(you must have the amp), the only problem I ran into was a power line for the amp.
There is also a separate cable that runs to the speedometer which I have not installed yet, probably do that later, but it seems to work alright without it. The hard part is actually pulling off all the console area to get to the stereo unit. All the wiring plugs are different and fit into the NAV unit, so its easy to figure out how everything plugs in. Someone posted the relevant 4runner pages online somewhere, its on another post.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:08 AM

Nav install - amp power

Thanks Skipjakk, from the sound of your reply the biggest hurdle I have to overcome is providing power to the amp, or, possible power to the remote turn on of the amp?

If anyone has any suggestions to point me in the right direction I would appreciate any help...

I get this puppy working I'll be jumping for joy, I just relocated to California from the south and sure could use the navigation to get around this big a$$ city (live in Newport, work in LA)...

Thanks,
jermut