Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

n00b (me) going wheeling next month...advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n00b (me) going wheeling next month...advice?

Finally taking the rig for the first time in a bona fide off-road weekend. I'm going to this place: www.treesranchoffroad.com ... can't wait.

Since it's my first real trip like this, I'm wondering what things I need to take care of on the rig. So far, I've done the OME 900's, new shocks all the way around, decent tires that should handle the noob class that I'll be running in, OME stabilizer...hmmm, I think that's it, everything else is OEM, probably even original-issue OEM.

Are there any suspension parts that I need to check into to make sure they're OK? It's a 92 and has some rust on the underside (I bought it when I lived in Chicago)...

So, you wheeling veterans...what advice might you have for me? I'm not worried about anything, I just want to be prepared...

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2004, 06:45 PM

Doesn't sound like your going to be doing too much... maybe some trails? I wouldn't worry about it too much, bring some basic tools maybe a few straps and have fun. Oh yeah and if you have second thoughts about how deep a water hole or omsehting is, I would suggest check it out BEFORE you go through it and *&^ up your engine, same goes with mud. Im sure youll be fine just have some fun and be careful.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

What Johnboy said. You have a trail guide who will most likely figure out what everybody's experience is. I'm assuming you signed up for a novice ride, so he's going to figure everybody there is a noob or close to it, and take it easy on you. You'll be surprised at how much fun you can have and how much your 'runner is going to be able to take even on a novice trail.

Make sure you pack in extra gas and water. Make sure you'll pass the tech inspection - see if you can get a list of what they're looking for. It's no fun trying to fix stuff in the inspection lot.

They'll probably look for things under the engine compartment to make sure it's all buttoned up -- on the last run my battery mount was a little loose and they made me tighten it down.

Have fun. You'll leave the park with a s#!t-eating grin that won't come off your face and you'll start counting the days till you can wheel again.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:29 AM
lee
Contributing Member

judging by the pics, it looks like a rockcrawler's kinda place, so watch out.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rah1420
What Johnboy said. You have a trail guide who will most likely figure out what everybody's experience is. I'm assuming you signed up for a novice ride, so he's going to figure everybody there is a noob or close to it, and take it easy on you. You'll be surprised at how much fun you can have and how much your 'runner is going to be able to take even on a novice trail.
Make sure you pack in extra gas and water. Make sure you'll pass the tech inspection - see if you can get a list of what they're looking for. It's no fun trying to fix stuff in the inspection lot.
They'll probably look for things under the engine compartment to make sure it's all buttoned up -- on the last run my battery mount was a little loose and they made me tighten it down.
Have fun. You'll leave the park with a s#!t-eating grin that won't come off your face and you'll start counting the days till you can wheel again.
Make sure you have tow points to be yanked out. Front and rear! If you dont and you block the trail you could have a few hot heads on your hand. I am guessing you have the factory front hook right? On the rear if you have a hitch a good cheap tow point is the reciever hooks that plug in. I have one and it has only been used to pull guys around the dunes. I have yet to get stuck enough to be yanked out. Gotta cb? Will you need an orv flag? like the others said have a strap on hand. and the proper gear to change a flat tire and basic tool set including spark plug socket incase you find your self in deep. Your already on the right track hitting up the trail 101 style class. Many guys just hit the big boy trails and get in trouble. You will be fine. If I were you I would get in touch with a buddy to go with you and act as a spotter and extra hand incase you need help fixing something. have fun.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have a hitch, I'll have to look into that...! I just checked the front and the factory hook is there.

I'll have to pick up a strap...any suggestions there?

What's an orv flag?

And the pictures on their website, I think, focus more on crawling...there are (there must be) regular trails for n00bs. When signing up, it asks for the class to run in. My rig wasn't qualified for intermediate class, which if I recall, required 33's, lockers, etc. I wouldn't have done intermediate anyway, but it sounds like these folks know what they are doing.

One thing I was thinking about...what about the diff breather tube extension? Necessary for this? I don't know how much water there is, but knowing a bit about the Hill Country, I'm sure there are some crossings. It sounds like an easy thing to do, so I may just do that, too.

Hmmm...what else. I'll need to get a spare now that I have the 31's. I'll pick up one at a used tire place.

I was surprised at the cost...twenty bucks! I was thinking it was going to be 100+, so that was a nice surprise.

Thanks for the input guys...I'll be posting pics of a dirty rig soon! If you think of anything else, post away...!
Old 12-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pour the $20 into fuel, hit I-10 and head west to El Paso. I'll take you out. No charge.

I couldn't ever live back east. To damn many people and they own every square foot of dirt.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Pour the $20 into fuel, hit I-10 and head west to El Paso. I'll take you out. No charge.

I couldn't ever live back east. To damn many people and they own every square foot of dirt.
Try living in Van Horn...I did for 5 years. Then you'd probably kill to get back on this side of the state!

Greg, try 4Wheel Parts for a tow strap. They have a store on Anderson Square.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Kill to get back to Austin? No way. Van Horn? Beautiful. Love the Indio Mts. Did a geologic mapping project out there. Love to go back. Desolate, mountains, mesas and I've always been curious about Hot Wells. Guess I should get out there this week.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:44 PM

Have fun. That's what it's all about. Don't be afraid to back down from obstacles. There's no shame in that. It's your truck, so treat it like you want to treat it. Don't let others make you do something you don't want to do, because it's you that ends up paying for it. For a first time, just try to get to know your rig. Know where your tires are at in relation to you, know your approach and departure angles, and know what is underneath that can be snagged by rocks. If you have a t-case skidplate, you should alright in that department. Get a tow strap, and make sure you have tow points front and rear, like everyone said. I'm sure they'll spot you, but bringing a friend or two can't hurt either. From those pics, it looks like a pretty challenging place to wheel. I'm sure they won't take you on the hard stuff. Just have fun. Seriously, that's what wheeling is all about. If you don't enjoy yourself there's no point in doing it. Good luck!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Looks like its going to be fun.Heres a link with some good info that might help http://cnc4x4.org/mini_equipment.asp
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GregStevens

What's an orv flag?

It's a red or hunters orange flag that you can tie to the CB mast or the radio antenna or a plain fiberglass mast. Generally all the vehicles in a party have an ORV (Off Road Vehicle) flag so they are visible.

Like Yoter said, a CB is useful. They'll probably use one frequency for the park communications and another one for the group you're with. For example, Paragon out here in God's country (Pennsyltucky) uses Ch. 6 for park comms, etc.

And the pictures on their website, I think, focus more on crawling...there are (there must be) regular trails for n00bs. When signing up, it asks for the class to run in. My rig wasn't qualified for intermediate class, which if I recall, required 33's, lockers, etc. I wouldn't have done intermediate anyway, but it sounds like these folks know what they are doing.
There was a lot of crawling going on, but come on. They're going to put the spectacular shots on the web page. I would say at least 30% of those pictures were of things you can run bone stock in your 'runner.

One thing I was thinking about...what about the diff breather tube extension? Necessary for this? I don't know how much water there is, but knowing a bit about the Hill Country, I'm sure there are some crossings. It sounds like an easy thing to do, so I may just do that, too.
I didn't do anything like that when I ran, and I was blowing bubbles as I navigated some stream crossings. The plural of 'anecdote' is not data, so I won't tell you that you absolutely don't need one, but I made it through fine.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:27 AM

Kill to get back to Austin? No way. Van Horn? Beautiful. Love the Indio Mts. Did a geologic mapping project out there. Love to go back. Desolate, mountains, mesas and I've always been curious about Hot Wells. Guess I should get out there this week.
To each his own I guess. But I think it's different if you actually live there. The area is beautiful, but there is NOTHING to do there and the closest city of any consequence is El Paso. My parents used to drive 120 miles each way to get groceries because the stores in Van Horn were so terrible. I do love Big Bend though.

I'll take Austin any day.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

I grew up in a Kansas town of 500 people and "nothing to do." Funny thing, I always had something to do. Still do, even in El Paso, a town that everyone tells me, has "nothing to do." Just depends on whether you make your own life or wait for someone to entertain you. Like wheeling. You just get in, and aim it somewhere you haven't ever been before.

By the way, how do you get to that dark red rock "notch" north of Van Horn? I've tried to get there a couple times and haven't found a way yet.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
Have fun. That's what it's all about. Don't be afraid to back down from obstacles. There's no shame in that. It's your truck, so treat it like you want to treat it. Don't let others make you do something you don't want to do, because it's you that ends up paying for it. For a first time, just try to get to know your rig. Know where your tires are at in relation to you, know your approach and departure angles, and know what is underneath that can be snagged by rocks. If you have a t-case skidplate, you should alright in that department. Get a tow strap, and make sure you have tow points front and rear, like everyone said. I'm sure they'll spot you, but bringing a friend or two can't hurt either. From those pics, it looks like a pretty challenging place to wheel. I'm sure they won't take you on the hard stuff. Just have fun. Seriously, that's what wheeling is all about. If you don't enjoy yourself there's no point in doing it. Good luck!
That is great advice. Yup, check your ego at the trailhead and just go learn what your rig can do.
The only other thing I would say is pick ONE trusted buddy to be your spotter. Listen to him only, no one else. If there is a group, get on the CB and say "Hey I need to be behind X, he's my spotter".

If you are unsure of an obstacle or things get too high pressure for you, stop, get out, look over the situation. Just have fun and be patient.

Post up pics!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:51 PM

By the way, how do you get to that dark red rock "notch" north of Van Horn? I've tried to get there a couple times and haven't found a way yet.
Not sure what you're referring to...I haven't been to VH in a year, and that was just an overnight stop. When I lived there, I wasn't of driving age.