Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mystery Noise in the front end. I'VE SEARCHED. Can't find anything!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery Noise in the front end. I'VE SEARCHED. Can't find anything!!!

Okay:
The noise is a small squeeking noise coming from the front end.
It Happens:
Only when moving. Loudest at about 40 mph.
Only when pressing the gas pedal, even lightly.
Will not happen when I'm rolling at 40, but in neutral. Even reving the engine. Must be in gear and on the gas to make it happen.
Seems to happen in 4x4 and 2wd, but not as loud in 4x4?
Almost sounds like a squeeky bearing of some sort.

Any guesses?
Wheel bearing, cv, belts, fan, pulley?
Those seem to be the ones that come to mind. Any help is really appreciated because I need to sort this out before I head to BAJA ALONE next Tuesday!!
Thank you!!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anymore details about the noise
Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know if your runner has them or not but the centre driveshaft hanger bearing on the trucks can make that sort of noise when it is worn out,,, you might also check the front wheel bearings, the front brakes might be out of rig a little and be draging, the water pump is another source of this kind of noise but moving or not would not make a difference...
I would consider zeroing in on the bearings as the most likely source one way you can check [without a great deal of reliability however] is to pull the centre cap on your rim take the truck for a drive then feel the centre bearing cap [be careful] if it feels unusually hot to the touch then this would be a good place to start. note: they should normally be warm but not hot to the touch
sorry I can't be any more specific but this is the best I can come up with based on info given... hope it helped Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 06-25-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Chief_Yota
anymore details about the noise
Not that I can think of that would be pertinent. The mention above of a driveshaft bearing seems like it would be the correct noise?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Talking

SO,
When you say center are you talking about the first section of the rear? That would make sense with it increasing with speed. Also, why it gets quieter with 4wd, may be a little less torque on it when the power is split. It would make sense with only making the noise when in gear. Under HARD exceleration I do not hear it. That would be because of obvious engine noise, but I feel like whatever it is, It torques that bearing or piece so that it cant "woller" around and make the noise.

Anyone know how much this carrier bearing costs??

Originally Posted by aviator
I don't know if your runner has them or not but the centre driveshaft hanger bearing on the trucks can make that sort of noise when it is worn out,,, you might also check the front wheel bearings, the front brakes might be out of rig a little and be draging, the water pump is another source of this kind of noise but moving or not would not make a difference...
I would consider zeroing in on the bearings as the most likely source one way you can check [without a great deal of reliability however] is to pull the centre cap on your rim take the truck for a drive then feel the centre bearing cap [be careful] if it feels unusually hot to the touch then this would be a good place to start. note: they should normally be warm but not hot to the touch
sorry I can't be any more specific but this is the best I can come up with based on info given... hope it helped Aviator
Old 06-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

The centre bearing is a donut looking thing that the drive shaft passes through on the extra cabs which have essentially a two piece rear driveshaft because of their length. I don't think that is the case with the runners though as they are much shorter.
cost wise they are about a couple of hundred dollars in can. funds I don't know the US price but they are a costy part...
I would look into the front end either the axle bearings or the ball joints can sound that way sometimes too...
I definitely would not attempt any lomg road trips til you get it at least diagnosed...
cheers aviator
Old 06-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

I agree. I'm heading to a yota mechanic at lunch. I'm going to pay him if he can tell me what it is and then I'll try fixing it... we'll see!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Any other suggestions?? I can't believe I'm the first to have this noise.
Hmmmmm!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Banned

its something to do with the driveshaft, u joint or flange. reason is because if you arent touching the pedal the shaft isnt rotating, but once you hit the gas it starts to make the noise right?

bearings or u joints
Old 06-26-2007, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Right. Thats what I was thinking. Its not even a constant squeeling. Its more of a squeek that I can finesse out of it. Too much power and it almost goes away and no power and it completely stops. You said bearings or u-joints. I know what the ujoints are, but what is the bearing you are referring to??
Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
Right. Thats what I was thinking. Its not even a constant squeeling. Its more of a squeek that I can finesse out of it. Too much power and it almost goes away and no power and it completely stops. You said bearings or u-joints. I know what the ujoints are, but what is the bearing you are referring to??
they are on the ujoints, just replace the entire ujoint

i doubt the flange is it, most of the time the u joints go out.

and its going to be the one at the case most likely, not at the axle
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM

ya i must agree on the ujoints on this one. It will create the squeak noise when you hit the gas. Try greaseing the ujoints to see if you can save them
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM

like what godzilla said
Grease the U joints on the drive shaft then if the noise gos away then you have found the problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by CyMoN
like what godzilla said
Grease the U joints on the drive shaft then if the noise gos away then you have found the problem.
also if the noise does not go away it is still possible it is the ujoints, but you didnt catch it in time or they are just done. the noise usually increases and will become more noticebale at lower speeds as well. exactly what happend to me.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you guys. I fealt like it couldn't be them since I greased them a few months ago, but after some water crossing and dust I'm sure they need to be greased until the grease overflows to get the crap out. I will definately update this thread either way. THANK YOU GUYS
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

I greased everything. If thats it I feel like an idiot! I had to get a new gun to get some of the hard to reach ones.
The one zerk on each shaft that greases where it plunges took a TON of grease and I never saw any come out. I think I used half of the damn tube!
NO noise on the way to work... I'm not convinced yet though because it doesn't always make the noise. I'll update again..
Thanks YOTATECH!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 AM

What did you find with the squeak??

I'm hoping you can shed light on the Mystery Noise in the front end! I've lubed everything that has a fitting and recently ordered front end bearings, thinking that has to be it. Come to find out, my 98 4runner has sealed bearings that are not replaceable...any guidance would be appreciated more than you know.

Cog
Old 08-04-2008, 05:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your rig a 5spd? My clutch, or throwout bearing started making this type noise as well, it then matured to a tapping, then a grinding, and now makes no noise at all.. and I havent changed her out yet????
Old 08-04-2008, 05:24 AM

Nope. Auto. It sounds like a metal on metal squeak, perhaps from the front passenger wheel. When I free spin the front tire, nothing.

It seems to occur forward only, with some motion sound like the rotation of the tire, starting about 5 mph, and only moving forward. No squeak in reverse.

I pulled the wheel and brakes yesterday and while a bit worn, it's not the wear indicator on the brakes...the rotor could be slightly warped but if so, it's not obvious.

After reading these forums this morning, I think I'll check on the tension bar ball end joints...
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when the lower balljoints went on my auto, they did the same thing... weird that it was the lower bj's tho, cuz the stress is on the uppers. Also...I must add, even tho they made noise... I didnt feel any play for a while after. took me 2 mos of jacking the front end every couple days before there was actually any play. and as I said... It was the lowers... the uppers were still ok.

Last edited by Team420; 08-04-2008 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Mystery Noise in the front end. I'VE SEARCHED. Can't find anything!!!