Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mystery Alarm drawing over 2 amps when off...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Alarm drawing over 2 amps when off...

Hey Gentlemen. Long time listener, first time caller here. I've been loving the wealth of information here. Never thought I could repair as much of my own car before I bought my lovely 4runner! That being said, ever since I bought her a little over 2 years ago, the alarm system has never really worked. I had to disconnect the horn because the alarm would go off on it's own when the weather would get too hot, or in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. But yet I lived with it. Until now.

Its new quirk is draining my battery. After finding myself stranded for no reason with a dead battery, I did some tests. I found that when NOTHING on the car is on (no keys in ignition. Nothing.) the system is pulling over 2 amps from the battery. I disconnected the fuse to the main power on my alarm, and the drain went from over 2 amps, to~ 300 miliamps, which seemed a lot more reasonable. My guess is there's a short in the alarm somewhere that's causing the drain?

My question would first be: Does anyone recognize this brain? It doesn't appear to be the RS3000 or 32000, and I've tried reprogramming/putting it in valet mode it using the write ups on this site, to no avail.

Second is that I really don't care for having the alarm feature enabled. I'm fine with the simple keyless entree or even manual entree if push comes to shove. I'll post some pictures of the setup out of an overabundance of caution to try to give you as much helpful information as possible.

Thanks in advance for any/all of your responses.

[IMG] picture hosting[/IMG]

[IMG] online photo sharing[/IMG]

[IMG] picture hosting[/IMG]

[IMG] upload pictures[/IMG]

Lastly, I have the Toyota (Dealer?) Key Fobs with the 3 button front and panic on the back.

[IMG] images[/IMG]

I believe that's the red LED people talk about with the Dealer Alarm, but I can't really "press" it.