Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My V8 4Runner is great but

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My V8 4Runner is great but

My truck has just about 1500 miles on it, already I noticed paint imperfections on the hood and roof, when it is cold it sounds like a baby rattle is under my dash and it sounds like a cellophane wrapper is behind my Nav, today on the highway a peace of salt hit my windsheild and put several small chips in the glass right in my view

The sticker on this truck was 43k, thought for that price it would be perfect.

Other wise this truck is great, not bitchin but just had to tell someone, the 2 noises tend to go away when warmed up.

My paint is fine but I wish it did not have the weird colors in it, but it gives it character.

The small chips in the windsheild just pissed me off, but it will pass in time when the whole windsheild has minor chips all over it and hey at least I have full glass coverage but I would bet I never need it.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, it sounds like you have a valid reason to visit the dealer. I would tell them that you expected more from a $43k vehicle. Best to approach them nicely, and honestly. I would be surprised if they didn't help out. Sometimes it helps to call the salesperson, or go through the new car sales manager.

I used to work at a Toyota Dealership, and while they didn't enjoy new owners that were nitpicky, they still did what they could to make them happy.

Not saying that you are nitpicking, just that the number one thing should be customer satisfaction. Besides, if you go with a few things at once, they will know you didn't go crazy when the slightest thing went wrong.

They probably won't be able to do anything about the windshield, and justifiably so. That is just bad luck, and like you said you have insurance coverage.

Otherwise, they should be obligated to fix rattles, especially on a warranty car that is less than a year old. The nav system is made by Delco, and Toyota shouldn't lose on replacing it. Paint is warranteed from defects ar far as I know, and you have a good case again due to the age of your vehicle.

Don't feel bad about sharing, it helps us all to learn other people's stories.

In my opinion, it is customers with high expectations that drives Toyota to make outstanding products.

Good luck!

Last edited by channer; 02-11-2003 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Erc

What is it with Toyota and rattles? Edge, my 3 month old 02 runner rattles too. The colder it is, the worse it rattles.
Dealer will definitely try to take care of rattles for you, but the bad part is, since this is first model year, they'll have to "experiment" to find what's causing it
I hope your dealer is better than mine.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My old 1990 4runner instrument cluster does the EXACT same thing in the cold weather.....

....when the speedometer goes past about 40mph and the temp is below ~40 it goes nuts rattling. Below 40 it's not there, and above ~40 degrees it's not there.....sounds to me like a problem in their instrument cluster that would be lubrication problems from grease becoming too viscous or tolerance problems from some sort of gears...
Old 02-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Toyota has one of the highest reps for cars that dont rattle.. (I just made that up )

My 00 has 40K on it and I only hear a squeek in line roof lining when I have 3 bikes ontop my load warrior, which isnt very often, every other time its very quite...

If you noticed a problem with the paint take it in ASAP, otherwise the longer you wait the more leverage toyota has to not do anything about it.. I used to work for a dealership and after a certain time there wasnt much the dealer would do to fix the paint because it could be turned into "customer neglect" or the like...

Good luck..
Old 02-12-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the advise I don't think I will take it in yet or at all, the 2 noises seem to vanish once the truck heats up and I really don't want them pulling my dash off cause most likely I would be the 1st they ever did it to.

As for the paint imperfections, Im gonna call toyota and see what they say cause the paint is perfect, like glass but looks as if someone poured milk into coffee and it froze:pat: