Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Truck got Keyed!

Old 11-03-2003, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My Truck got Keyed!

Since my ghetto car(89 civic) was in the shop getting a timing belt, I've been taking my 4runner to work which happens to be in a shizhole in Brooklyn. And today I got keyed good on both sides it not a uncommon occurance there...no i have no enemies there..its the neighborhood. --i am whitey with a nice truck--simple.
I would have preferred a broken window or tail lamp.
Anyways--( i am calm now--sorta):cry: and I am looking for suggestions on a quick patch or repair to the paint till next spring which I can take it to a pro.
only one door got it bad and deep. but the rest is not so bad and maybe somewhat fixable. I won't bother with a body shop now when the snow season is approaching and who knows what that will do.
Are there any products which I can use to touch-up or buff which might help???
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 PM

I don't think your car was keyed because you are "whitey with a nice truck - -simple" Your vehicle was keyed because the offender was a jerk who lacked respect. Race had nothing to do with it I'm sure! I'm sorry your car was damaged, I will never understand why some people do those kind of things.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:00 PM

Sorry to hear, I dread the day it happens to me...

But I used to think I had no enemies, till I replaced the 4th tire...
:pat:

I hope you catch them... and that you know what to do with them afterwards!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that happened to a guy a know who works out here in california...him and I are both "scabs" at the grocery stores since their employees are on strike. Anyway, one day he parked close to the store and when he got off work, some striker had keyed the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of his truck. Which is why I park WAY the heck away from the store now.
Anyway, I dunno what advice to give you...my friend took it to a shop and got it fixed. Good luck though, and remember...what goes around comes around...so find out who did it and make 'em pay!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 PM

yeah well I would get arrested if caught the ˟˟˟˟˟˟er. So I am glad I didn't see it happen. No matter....I am used to getting screwed working in the city. Messing with another mans automobile is low and I am sure it won't be the last time.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:40 PM

I found this elsewhere on the internet...it sounds like it may work.
- but I will wait for a bit before trying...

1. Use a toothpick to apply the touchup paint. Just barely dot it on.
2. Let it dry completely (at least an hour or hour and a half).
3. Get 1200grit sandpaper (available at auto supply stores). Tear off a tiny bit and glue it to the eraser of a pencil. Gently sand the area in a circular motion.
4. Apply Meguiar's scratch remover to smooth it out (this also leaves a little wax coating over the area).

:pat:
Old 11-04-2003, 12:07 AM

I lived in upper Manhattan,went to university on Long Island,and continued my many years of stay in the north in the state of New Jersey. I have learned that a new car has little chance of going unmarked or undamaged in the Tri- state area unless you live a good distance from the metro areas. During the 80's & 90's, my car had been broken into twice just parking it in midtown manhattan in broad day light. Once I went into a store for less then 5 minutes and a thief broke into my trunk while destroying the truck lid and lock,he stole nothing because I knew not to keep anything of value in my ride . These scumbags are so organize that they watch you as a team from the moment you pull up to the meter to park, until you leave your vehicle and go into a store for a quick minute. After that when ever I drove into the city I parked my car in a under ground parking garage. That is what the thieves have done, they cost us extra expense. We can not even park our cars on public streets during broad day light, unless we live in far removed areas from city centers .
Old 11-04-2003, 03:47 AM

I feel your pain. Just got my 03 back from my uncles shop because some jerk keyed it down both doors. Mine was also a random act. Didn't piss anyone off before it happened. Just pulled into the Shop Rite lot, bought some groceries, came out and both door were keyed down to the primer. Maybe it is a Tri-state area thing. As for fixing yours, you can try buffing out the parts that aren't down to the primer, may take some of it out. As for the deeper parts, not much you can do, maybe a little touch up, but it may look worse than the key mark. I went through insurance and they wrote it up for $930 minus my deductable. Good part is it came back perfect and I got a door ding fixed in the process.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:38 PM

I saw a detailer at a car dealer once use a hypodermic needle to fill a scratch on a car I had JUST bought (happened between the time I signed the papers and the time I made it outside... ugh!). It looked a bit like an art form as he did it rapidly moving the needle back and forth with what looked like highly thinned paint (very fine needle). The result was flawless and I could never tell it was ever scratched. No buffing was even required.

Most dealers have those kinds of "touch up" guys that visit them once a week; just ask around. The guy that touched mine up also did some airbrush work for larger touch ups.

Last edited by EricM; 11-04-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 04:41 AM

Getting scratched at the dealer must have been a real nightmare, Living in new york I felt weird having my truck perfect--once the first ding or, in this case, scratch happens then I am not so paranoid about leaving my vehicle parked anywhere.
Also now I feel like turning my truck into a 'lil monster with some mods.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:04 AM

My truck is a '99 and I was freaking out, I can only imagine how you guys with the 4th gens felt when it happened to you. Well one thing about TOYOTA TRUCKS they always look good.. new or old-no matter what shape there in. Thats probably one of the main reasons I have one. Would like to have 2.
anyways thanks for sharing your experiences