Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Supercharger Install Has Begun!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Supercharger Install Has Begun!

This thread will be similar to the other thread I recently started for my lift, "My lift has begun". I will detail out the following installs all on this thread:

1) SMT-6 install
2) Supercharger
3) RC engineering injectors
4) Spark Plugs
5) Spark plug wires
6) Walbro Fuel pump
7) Supra MAF

Once I'm done, I'll transfer most of this to my web site so it's very clear to read. Enjoy,

Chris

P.S. I'm going to do the SMT-6 install today.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: My Supercharger Install Has Begun!

Originally posted by ravencr
This thread will be similar to the other thread I recently started for my lift, "My lift has begun". I will detail out the following installs all on this thread:

1) SMT-6 install
2) Supercharger
3) RC engineering injectors
4) Spark Plugs
5) Spark plug wires
6) Walbro Fuel pump
7) Supra MAF

Once I'm done, I'll transfer most of this to my web site so it's very clear to read. Enjoy,

Chris

P.S. I'm going to do the SMT-6 install today.
The Top Ten Reason Chris has money to do all these mods:

10. You robbed a bank!
9. You won the lotto!
8. Your parents are loaded!
7. You need someone else to help you spend all the money you have! (hint: me me me me me)
6. You are really Bill Gates posing as Chris.
5. You don't have any kids to spend your money on.
4. Your wife has no clue how much all these things really cost! (blackmail!!!)
3. You have sold everything else you own on Ebay.
2. You have maxed out all your credit cards and gotten several new ones in other Yotatech members names who don't know about it yet.

And the number one reason Chris has all this money for mods is...

1. You have a rare blood type and the local plasma place pays well!!!

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 06:37 AM

I've had all this stuff for quite some time now, and yes it is a combination of some of those things, of course! It was all on my other 1998.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 06:41 AM

Oh, and I forgot to add the one new item this time around is the Split Second ESC1.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 07:00 AM

What do you think? And, if you want the ultimate S/C setup, then yes you need all that stuff for maximum power.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 07:03 AM
Banned

What do you think? And, if you want the ultimate S/C setup, then yes you need all that stuff for maximum power.

Chris
I'm going to be broke until 2010 and have an $80,000 4Runner before this is all over....

So how much does all that cost? Or should I be afraid to ask...

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 07:08 AM

1) SMT-6 install $300
2) Supercharger $1725
3) RC engineering injectors $650
4) Spark Plugs $50
5) Spark plug wires $40
6) Walbro Fuel pump $100+
7) Supra MAF $50

Those are rough estimates, because I can't remember exactly.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: My Supercharger Install Has Begun!

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
You have to have all that stuff to get a supercharge?
No, you don't _HAVE_ to have it all to run a supercharger. There are a number of folks here that are running JUST the S/C and are fine.

Chris is aiming for maximum power from a stock bored engine. To do that, you need to push more fuel (the injectors, fuel pump, ESC1 and SMT-6) and manage the timing (the other side of the SMT-6). Past that, upgrading the plugs and wires is always a good idea when you start straying from stock engine components.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:53 AM

Well, here's the first post for the SMT-6 install. I started organizing the wires and making changes and additions based on the new way that I'm going to try to run the SMT-6 on my 1997. Here's the differences I'm planning to do:

1) Instead of altering the MAF signal for open loop operations, I've chosen to tune the closed loop lambda (o2 sensor). I've decided this to possibly help the folks with hard starting and idle trouble. Plus, normally 99% of our driving is in closed loop anyway, so why not tune it instead of open loop where we rarely drive. I'm not sure this is going to be good for those folks running the smaller injectors (ie. 305cc and stock), because with those injectors in open loop mode, they have to add more fuel. With my 370cc injectors, I don't, or at least I'm hoping I won't. I'm not guessing at this, because I had this setup on my other 1998 and it was real close to zero on the fuel map with my 370cc's. In addition to help for the WOT scenarios, I'm running the high pressure version of the Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, instead of the standard pressure 190. This is to further help push the required fuel in the upper RPM's during WOT.

2) Second, I'm going to attempt to use the MAF signal instead of the Throttle position sensor for the analog deflection. If this works, which I have no clue if it will or not, will possibly cure the hard starting and idle challenges folks have been experiencing. The reason I think this might possibly work is that both the MAF and the TPS work off a 0-5V system. In addition, at idle, the challenge for creating the perfect idle is a challenge with the A/C on, and then when it's off. The reason for this is when the A/C is on, it kicks on and off. When it kicks on, the engine will rev up, but it will also lean out for a period of 5-10 seconds until the ECU corrects it back to stoich. When the A/C kicks off, it will richen the fuel mixture and the engine revs will decrease back to normal idle around 650-700 RPM's. So, when previously tuning my SMT-6, I did a fuel analog adjustment in the first column. I can't remember what I exactly had it at, but from bottom to top in the first column it looked something like 2,1,0,1,2,3 The reason for this is to minimize the time the ecu had to take to recorrect the fuel trim back to a comfortable 14.7:1. Make sense?

At any rate, if you have a 1997 4runner, I've included pictures of the connections with the SMT-6. Enjoy!

Thanks to Gadget, he sent me the wiring diagrams for my 1997. I had the manual and electrical books for my 1998, but the wiring is different on my 1997.

Here's everything laid out:

Here's my own writeup to help on the install:

Here's all the wires labeled so I don't have to think when installing them:

Here's the ECU Plug E10(F), and what holes correspond to the wires I'm going to connect to the SMT-6:

Here's the Crankshaft wiring diagram and what wire connects to the SMT-6:

Here's the MAF sensor wiring diagram:

Here's the O2 sensor wiring diagram. You want to use the Bank1, O2 1 for tuning purposes. This is the O2 sensor before the Catalytic Convertor:

Here's where I get my power and ground:

Here's the wiring diagrams for the power and ground:

Here's the wiring diagram for the Throttle position sensor and the Engine temperature sensor:

Okay, that's it for today. If you have any questions, please let me know. Stay tuned for the actual SMT-6 install!

Chris

P.S. Please note that on the wiring diagrams there is different numbers and code for manual transmissions and automatics. I've got an automatic!

Last edited by ravencr; 09-10-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:21 AM

It's critical stuff, so what exactly do you not understand? Quote me, and ask you questions, and I'll respond. That stuff is critical for a good idle and startup, so let's go through it.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Banned

Technical

It's critical stuff, so what exactly do you not understand? Quote me, and ask you questions, and I'll respond. That stuff is critical for a good idle and startup, so let's go through it.

Chris
I appreciate the willingness Chris, but it would be a waste of your time. If I get a S/C I'll ask ya then but I'll pay somebody to do all that cause ain't no way I'd even try. Engines ain't my thing.

Brian
Old 09-10-2003, 11:31 AM

Oh, I thought you had one for some reason I don't know why.

Chris
Old 09-10-2003, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Don't I wish bro!

Originally posted by waskillywabbit
Now if I already did, that would be a different baseball game altogether. You could be a pal and buy me one with all that extra money you have...huh?

Brian
Sorry Brian, he already promised one to me first.....
Old 09-10-2003, 06:04 PM

Two dreamers on the same post!

Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 05:07 AM

SMT-6 Installation Instructions

Here's what I'm going to be doing on my second SMT-6 install on my 1997.

I'll also have one for a 1998 from my previous install. The difference is that I'm not going to be tuning in open loop this time around, and I'm not going to use the TPS as my deflection, but rather the MAF signal instead. We'll see what happens.

Chris

P.S. I'll send the 1998 one soon.
Attached Files
Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 AM

wow, I just have to say I've been learning SOO much on your threads. Just want to thank you for all the info you've provided, and all the descriptive step-by-step instructions you have given.

Thanks again!! Just waiting for the suspension write-up in your website. pics pics pics!!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 05:56 AM

Awesome man! I really love to hear that I'm able to help other Yotatechers, just like everyone has helped me. I should be doing the suspension writeup pretty soon.

Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 06:05 AM
Banned

Big Head

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
wow, I just have to say I've been learning SOO much on your threads. Just want to thank you for all the info you've provided, and all the descriptive step-by-step instructions you have given.

Thanks again!! Just waiting for the suspension write-up in your website. pics pics pics!!!!
Don't make Chris' head any bigger than it is...

What would be interesting would be to get his wife on here and ask her some questions!!!

You have been very helpful Chris! I guess I am just jealous that I don't have the time and mod money that you do, not that there is anything wrong with that at all...the time and mod money part, not the jealousy part!

Brian
Old 09-11-2003, 06:09 AM

I don't get the wife part! That will never happen man!

Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 06:12 AM
Banned

Wife part

I don't get the wife part! That will never happen man!

Chris
Do you have a wife? If so, it would be interesting to hear her answer some questions about your 4Runner habit. My wife bust my bells about the 4Runner and my "modness" all the time and I am no where near the "modness" of you. Not that I don't wish I couldn't be. That's what I meant.

Brian

Quick Reply: My Supercharger Install Has Begun!