Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is it my starter? Also ? about keyless entry fix

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it my starter? Also ? about keyless entry fix

Hey everyone!

I replaced my starter under a year ago. I think this noise is coming from there but not sure why. Its getting worse and in real hot weather it gets even worse (or so it seems anyways). I took a YouTube video of what it sounds like hoping someone can pen point it off the sound alone. I am not turning the ignition to much if that's what anyone is thinking after hearing the sound. If I let up it will not crank before this nasty sound goes off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGtzh5za4B8

Second question is: Does anyone know how to fix/seal plastic? I have super glued metal to fix the gap on my key-less entry and it does last a while but eventually breaks due to wear and tear. I'm just gonna do the same thing because I hate not having the key-less now that I am so used to it but thought id ask if anyone knows a better solution before I do the same ole.
Is it my starter? Also ? about keyless entry fix-imag02951.jpg
Thanks all!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:04 PM

can't tell ya for sure but it sounds like your starter
Old 09-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Yeah its the starter
Was it a rebuilt one? sometimes they don't redo all the parts inside the starter so it grinds.

After I replaced my motor the starter did that.

You could buy one from the dealer or buy one at an auto parts store with a lifetime warranty or go to the junk yard

good luck and i hope that helped
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the keyless entry problem....

I could help you...

but... Pictures aren't enough for giving advice on that job.
Things that will help find a solution...

can you tell how it was made??
can you take it apart??
are there screws that hold it together??
is it Fused plastic?? is the body a snap together two piece shell?

How Heavy is it?? does it feel hallow??
does it feel heavier than it looks? or does it look heavier than it feels?
thick plastic or... thin plastic?

my idea involves making a 1 inch long chain out of a clothes hanger... (allowing more free movement with your keys) the chain would attach to the body of your remote with an Omega ring " Ω "... having feet implanted/embedded.. in the body of the control unit.

coil the wire around a screw driver a number of times... cut down the side with dremel tool or a fine toothed saw... hook links together... and bend them closed with vice grip / locking pliers... use leather or cloth in the jaws as to not mar up your chain...

and the FUN part!

You could
take it apart... remove the guts.. and Drill

if you can't take it apart... you could Heat up the Omega element until its red hot...
and let it settle into place.. use liquid plastic to seal up the whole..

if it's Thin plastic... place the omega element as deep as possible... fill your remote with silicone (or At least around the feet of the Omega element)
SILICONE AND SUPER GLUE DO NOT GET ALONG WITH EACH-OTHER!!
in this case you might also neeed to patch up the shell with liquid plastic...

What's that?? Liquid plastic??

grab a soda bottle cap of your color choice (probably black or grey)...
light it on fire... dropps of flaming liquid plastic will fall from it. aim the drops into the whole of the sufficiently rooted omega element.

If you can take the remote apart... liquid plastic is not necessary just drill new holes along the seam... seat the omega element with silicone and rebuild...

Hope this gave you some ideas about the endlessness of possibilities in solutions to your problem.

you don't even have to use an omega element... you can get tiny chains at a hardware / hobby store where the end element is a wood screw... door lock chain thing... you always see the stupid victims in horror films using.. cut most of the screw off... seat it just past the collar... and use some of the same ideas....

the biggest thing that will help is having it on a chain and having the soft membrane of silicon on the inside allowing more free motion... as the twisting is usually what brakes things off key chains.

Last edited by Gregery; 03-20-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh... wait... there is a possibility of Rebuilding it!! copy the circuitry... and put it inside... of.. .... .... a Pen!!! I say A pen because that was the first object I saw... BRILIANT!!!

the only reason those things aren't smaller is because THEY WANT you to brake the keychain whole off and loose the remote... just so you have to go buy another one!!! They are are RIDICULOUSLY Simple!! and are many MANY times over priced!

if a blue tooth device can fit inside your ear and cost only $20... then a keyless entry systems should be... Free and implanted in our brains by now... Oh Wait... NO... No... That's not what I meant!! DANG IT!!! it's already on paper!

Where did I put my White-Out??

Last edited by Gregery; 03-20-2012 at 09:49 AM.