Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My rotors and manual hubs install (pics)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My rotors and manual hubs install (pics)...

Well I've finally got a few minutes to post my thread about installing my Aisin manual hubs and new rotors.

I used this write-up on 4x4wire to do the tear-down and install.

Before getting started I had to buy some tools (that's half the fun of doing a project ). So I went to Sears and dropped $40 on a 2 1/8" socket and two adapters. The grease seals were $30 at the dealership and the rotors were $70 at NAPA. The hubs were $60 plus $12 in gaskets and about $20 in misc. stuff (razors, masking tape, paint, grease, nuts, and washers). That brings my grand total for the hubs to about $92.

I bought my hubs from a salvage yard in Minnesota. Upon receiving and cleaning them I noticed some hair-line cracks in the side where you pound on them to get the cone washers out. This worried me somewhat but I decided to continue with the rebuild. They cleaned up great and after a few coats of paint and clear coat they looked almost as good as new. After the install I looked at the cracks again and they looked the same. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Everyone said that the cone washers were going to be a PITA. HA! After a shot of PB Blaster they popped right out. That stuff really is great. It's definitely worth the $4.

When pulling everything apart I ran into something rather interesting. The adjusting nut and the locking nut were only on hand tight ! Apparently when a shop doesn't have the correct socket they pound on the edge of the nut with a hammer and flat-head screw driver to get it off. There was slight damage to the edge of the nut where this had been done. So when they put everything back together, they only put it on hand tight. Upon removing everything, we inspected and repacked the bearings. Everything looked good so we continued with the project.

The rotors also separated very easily from the hubs after using the PB Blaster. The brake pads still had at least 1/4" of pad left before the wear tab so I didn't even bother replacing them.

After reassembling the rotors and hubs we put everything back together. I followed the reassembly procedure on 4x4wire. I used their torque specs, much to my satisfaction.

Here's a couple shots of the hubs. The first one is before the install. I took a pic right after the install but for some reason the camera said it was in an improper format or something like that. So the second pic is a day later after driving through pastures and rain while doing some dove hunting.

For anyone that is interested, I used a small metal file to file the paint off the lettering. It worked great. You just have to be careful not to nick the rest of the paint.

Here's my review on the hubs. My rig is so much easier to turn now that the cv shafts aren't spinning. I have also noticed a slight increase in power/acceleration. I haven't really noticed a change in my mpg probably because my foot is a little heavier now. Overall I would say that it is definitely a worthwhile mod to do.

The best part about this whole project was that it only took my friend and I about 3 1/2 hours to complete from start to finish. Not too bad for having never done this before, at least not on a Toyota. This project couldn't have gone any better.

One minor problem that I noticed a few days later is that I was leaking a little brake fluid from the back of my caliper. Apparently the hard line loosened a little from moving the caliper around. I just tightened it right up without a problem. Just keep that in mind after you finish the reassembly.

Enjoy!

Last edited by AgRunner06; 10-30-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:01 PM

very nice. my aisin hubs are on they're way!!!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:11 PM

I did the same mod last week the only difference is I painted my hubs all black. They look pretty sweet good job. I decided to do the rotors and c/v boots at the same time. It was fun the only bad part is I got mad and slammed my cell phone on the floor. Well now I have a new phone.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bomberyota
It was fun the only bad part is I got mad and slammed my cell phone on the floor. Well now I have a new phone.
That's one way to force yourself to get a new phone. I prefer to have a few drinks (or maybe more) and then get in the hot tub with it in my pocket. Oops. I didn't like that phone anyways. I made sure to get insurance on my new phone.

Old 09-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by AgRunner06
That's one way to force yourself to get a new phone. I prefer to have a few drinks (or maybe more) and then get in the hot tub with it in my pocket. Oops. I didn't like that phone anyways. I made sure to get insurance on my new phone.

I like to go to drive-in movies and when it's dark, put the phone in a cup of tea sitting in the cup holder.
Old 09-23-2003, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Robinhood150
I like to go to drive-in movies and when it's dark, put the phone in a cup of tea sitting in the cup holder.
I leave mine in my pants pocket and send it through the washing machine.