Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My ranting on the Jeep thing...

Old 05-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ranting on the Jeep thing...

Guys.. I gotta tell you, I am really digging this "Jeep Thing" I picked up my little Wrangler last Wendsday and I have been having a ball.. Now don't get me wrong, getting back into my 4Runner is like driving a limo after banging around in the Heep.. But... I gotta tell you, the Jeep had the cool factor of 10+ for driving around. I have the top off, the doors off, and a bikini top above me.. It has a little 4 banger that is peppier than my 4Runner on it's best day. She's sproting a 2.5" exhaust with a flowmaster and I added a B&M "T" handle shifter.. It sure is a fun little bugger I'll tell ya.. (Heck, it will grab 3 gears with the top off) I drove my 4Runner for the first time since last week today (it's raining) and I still love my baby, but there is someting that is just so fun and simple about the Jeep.. I will try to grab some photos when it dries out for ya.. I have to take a 500 mile round trip up to Maine with my oldest son for a school competition from Thurs to Sun, and I am really thinking about taking the Jeep with me.. have to see how warm it is when we leave..

Here is a couple photos.. check out my cool mod I did in the back for lockable storage...

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 05-13-2003 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:54 PM

if you want the top off and all, get a toyota fj40 landcruiser! now THOSE are "indestructable"!!!!

oh, and one of the best things u can do for ur jeep, if they have it, but also for the land cruiser...

do a reverse shackle kit for the front springs. it helps the steering... helps from following lines on the road

Last edited by joshik; 05-12-2003 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

Well, this thing is not getting bigger than 235's on it for tires.. and it really goes down the road sweet (up to about 65-70) I would buy a 40, but if I did I will wheel it, which means the 4Runner has got to go.. Now the 4Runner is my baby, it is pretty well hooked up at the moment and it wheels good.. My Jeep is my daily driver toy now.. Now to be wheeled, but a $500 fun toy.. a 40 is sweet, but not really "fun" a 40, now she needs a little TLC, ya gotta talk sweet to her and be nice, the Jeep I can whip like a dog from the pound and it will still love you (and I freaking nuts or what??) But with cheap parts for the Jeep if something breaks their is like a million parts all over the place to fix it.. The 40.. you have to work at a little.. I would love a 40.. It is a million times more of a truck that a Jeep.. But it is a wholy diffrent ride with a diffrent purpose IMHO... But the Jeep does have that weird cult following that is kinda cool.. and you don't have to duct tape your head when someone calls your 'Curiser a "nice Jeep" :pat:
Old 05-12-2003, 11:30 PM

I agree with you that Jeeps are pretty cool, before I had my 4Runner I had a '94 Wrangler, and it was awesome. But after almost a year of owning it, and literally having something go wrong with it ever 2 weeks (Not just little things, I'm talking little wiring harnesses that cost $80 a piece and if that wire goes, you're not going anywhere until it's replaced; and numerous other things) I decided I had dumped enough money into it so I sold it and bought my 4Runner

I really didn't want to get rid of my Jeep, but I'm in college, and I couldn't afford to keep fixing it, so I wanted to get something more reliable (Funny how a truck with 175k Miles is more reliable than a Jeep with 60k miles )

Maybe in a few years I'll buy another Jeep (or more than likely an FJ40) but I'm more than happy with my 4Runner and my Xterra, especially since I don't have to spend a few hundred dollars a month fixing them

Those are my thoughts on Jeeps And if I came off sounding harsh towards Jeeps, I didn't mean to, I don't have anything against them, I happen to really like them, it's just that my experience with them hasn't been too pleasant.

-Braden
Old 05-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

There is allways bad apples.. Need I remind you of my problems with my 4Runner this last year?? and I also know the prior owner of the jeep who only had to replace the rear end last year (no fill plug in axle will do that..) and that is pretty much all he did to it in 2 years, It has almost 170k on the clock right now, If it throws a rod tomorow I will slap in a used motor.. There is good and bad in all of them and I don't mean to come down hard on the 4Runner.. But in a year, I had to do a valve job twice (good $4k there) I had to replace a blown rear oil seal, I curantly have a shot rear bearing, I had to put all new bushings in her to get an alingment, a new idler arm (again) new tie rods ect... She has been pretty damn expensive herself!! Heck, I put 6k on it all last year, so far since Feb. this year when I fixed her.. 15k You tell me which truck was more reliable last year.. (PS, I borrowed this Heep for a couple weeks when I totaled my Sable while my 4Runner sat in the yard with a $340 monthly payment and running on 3 cylinders...) I came so damn close to selling the 4Runner last year it was not funny..
Old 05-13-2003, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

I started out with a 95 wrangler and loved it from the minute i took ownership of it. My girlfriend at the time didnt like it so much cuz it drove like a truck way too much for her. I loved the fact I could take things off and cruise feeling totally outside. I got rid of it for a cherokee (when I got married to said girlfriend :chicken: ) Then I traded that up for my 01 runner. I cant imagine ever getting rid of the runner but I still want an old wrangler to kick around the summer time with. The only 2 trucks that catch my eye on the road are the wranglers and runners. I totally understand your infatuation with yours.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:00 AM

Yeah, Wranglers and CJ's can be fun! You do not know the amount of s**t I get for driving a 4runner. I live near the Toledo Plant where your Jeep was born. If I got on my roof I could probably see the plant. Here in T-town EVERYBODY drives a Jeep. The Mayor, the fire chiefs etc, etc,. I think the Wranglers are still built in the same old plant where it all started, the new Jeep Libertys in the swanky new Diamler-Chrysler-Jeep plant and the right hand conversions for other countries done in the Stickney Ave. Assembly Plant. Some of the stories that come out of that plant-it's like a city of it's own-drugs, prostitutes, payroll for people who haven't been there for ten years--it's legendary in these parts!!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:12 AM
Contributing Member

My first vehicle was an 88 Cherokee Pioneer 4x4 4dr. It had 108,000 miles on it when I got it, I had just turned 16. I LOVED that truck. I used to go wheeling and then the next day drive it to school splattered with mud, the only place that was clean was where the winsield wipers were going back and fourth. The ricers and import drivers used to call me a redneck, I didn't care. I had more fun in that truck in the 2 years that I had it than any other vehicle I have owned. When it had 150,000 miles on it I gave it to my sister to trade in for her new car (Honda Civic) and got a Grand Cherokee. I should have kept it. Sure, it was ugly, it rattled, and the paint was in bad condition, but it was fun. I lucked out and 6 months later the GC got stolen, never to be seen again. Never leave your vehicle at Miami Airport, but that's another story.
Old 05-13-2003, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Have you taught your 4runner to pee on it yet! Now that would be good!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

My wife and I rented a Wrangler on our honeymoon in Kauai. I popped the airbox, and drove on the beach. It was fun! But, at 30K miles, it was a Heep. Granted it was a rental.

The straight 6 goes pretty good, even for an Auto.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

Delboy.. speaking of peeing.. Is that a dog peeing on your tire in your sig photo??? I never caught that before, am I right??
Old 05-14-2003, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
Delboy.. speaking of peeing.. Is that a dog peeing on your tire in your sig photo??? I never caught that before, am I right??
I asked him that before, and he never answered me. Let's see what he says...
Old 05-14-2003, 11:04 PM

Re: My ranting on the Jeep thing...

I have to take a 500 mile round trip up to Maine with my oldest son for a school competition from Thurs to Sun, and I am really thinking about taking the Jeep with me.. have to see how warm it is when we leave..
Firefyter, if you don't apreciate your 4runner now, I guarantee you that you will after driving 500 miles in a no A/C open-air wrangler! I have one of each, and I still have nightmares about driving across the country with my girlfriend, 2 dogs, lizard and luggage! I would have done better in a covered wagon.

It should come with a warning label: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Venture Thus.

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!

My kidneys are beginning to hurt...I must return to my nice padded room now.......

Last edited by Sucellus; 05-14-2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:24 AM
Banned

My Roommates sorry Cherokee had to have its sorry French Pugeot transmition replaced at 140K miles. Anything less than Dana 44 axles tend to brake easily from what i've read. You probably have a Dana 30 and 35 so be gentle with your driveline. I'm sure you know that.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I asked him that before, and he never answered me. Let's see what he says...
Sorry, i thought i replied last time! Yes! I gues he was trying to comment on my workmanship after installing my new hubs. Came out later and he'd pissed right on one! Ah well, it looked too clean after i'd cleaned it up!
Old 05-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by delboy
Sorry, i thought i replied last time! Yes! I gues he was trying to comment on my workmanship after installing my new hubs. Came out later and he'd pissed right on one! Ah well, it looked too clean after i'd cleaned it up!
Are you saying that dog pee works really well as tire dressing?

Old 05-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: My ranting on the Jeep thing...

Originally posted by Sucellus
Firefyter, if you don't apreciate your 4runner now, I guarantee you that you will after driving 500 miles in a no A/C open-air wrangler! I have one of each, and I still have nightmares about driving across the country with my girlfriend, 2 dogs, lizard and luggage! I would have done better in a covered wagon.

It should come with a warning label: Abandon All Hope Ye Who Venture Thus.

THE HORROR! THE HORROR!

My kidneys are beginning to hurt...I must return to my nice padded room now.......
Holy crap!!! Dude, you have no frigging idea!!

Well, yea.. you were so right. I was going to take the 4Runner but I need to replace a bad wheel bearing before taking on a 600 mile trip (yes, the route turned out to be 300 miles one way...)
So I did take the Jeep.. Wrong move my friend, the ride was ok but I didn't think ahead of just how far up 300 miles into Maine will bring you! I was so damn cold it was not funny (Yea, I didn't put the hard top back on... and the doors were off) I think it was in the low 40's when we got there (a 5 hour ride) No sun all day, hit a couple little rain storms where the bikini top did pretty well..
In hind sight I kick myself for not putting the hard top and doors on, or taking my wifes cushy conversion van with the TV...

Well, other than that, it did great and got me a sweet 22mpg!
Old 05-18-2003, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: My ranting on the Jeep thing...

Holy crap!!! Dude, you have no frigging idea!!
Lol. Yeah, I think I'd opt for the van with TV myself...Those Wranglers make great run about type vehicles--when used for short periods of time they are great fun. But extended freeway trips is not their strength. Especially with fast moving 18-wheelers. There's a challenge....
Glad to hear you had fun though. I only had a soft top on the afore mentioned trips, with a hard top they do better. And they do get good gas mileage.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:26 PM

Jeeps R 4 Cheerleaders

Jeeps are wonderful if you like being associated with those tools with the "Jeep thing" stickers and having an unreliable hunk of crap with a weak drivetrain...

Jeeps are for boys who can't build Toys...
Old 05-18-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 44Runner
Jeeps R 4 Cheerleaders

Jeeps are wonderful if you like being associated with those tools with the "Jeep thing" stickers and having an unreliable hunk of crap with a weak drivetrain...

Jeeps are for boys who can't build Toys...
i'll agree to some extent...but i give respect to anybody who drives a fullsize j pickup...i just love those things for some reason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My ranting on the Jeep thing...