Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is this my OEM master cylinder? Think I got screwed

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this my OEM master cylinder? Think I got screwed

Took my car to get the master cylinder fixed about 2 yrs ago. My car seems to be having master cylinder issues, so took it to a different shop last week and they said master cylinder looked like the original with the car. I think when I paid for the original repair they didn't change a thing!!!

I'm so pissed right now!! Can someone confirm this is the OEM master cylinder? It has the writing "LHJ" and "98" imprinted in it.
Attached Thumbnails Is this my OEM master cylinder?  Think I got screwed-master-cylinder-3.jpg   Is this my OEM master cylinder?  Think I got screwed-master-cylinder-1.jpg   Is this my OEM master cylinder?  Think I got screwed-master-cylinder-2.jpg  
Old 02-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

hard to say... it looks like a replacement to me cause the fluid resivor still looks white.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's hard to tell especially since there different from model to mode and year to year. What is the vehical and year were dealing with here? You should put that in your signature line so nobody else has to ask for this information in trying to diagnoise your situtation.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:50 PM

I just updated my signature. 1998 4runner SR5 V6
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Looks pretty original to me...

Andreas
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Most likely if the original shop replaced it they would have used a rebuilt one, which from the outside would look the same as the original. Or they could have rebuilt your old one with new seals, or they could have screwed you over. I don't think there is any way to tell for sure.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
Most likely if the original shop replaced it they would have used a rebuilt one, which from the outside would look the same as the original. Or they could have rebuilt your old one with new seals, or they could have screwed you over. I don't think there is any way to tell for sure.
If they use a rebuilt one aren't they required to tell you?? I new non-OEM master cylinder is only $150-200, and they charged me $199. I would rather have a new but not OEM than have an OEM rebuilt.

I thought they only did that with alternators anyways.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hind sight is always 20/20, but if you take your vehicle in for repair and they replace any parts, you have the right to see the original parts they replaced so as to confirm they replaced it. If they rebuilt it, they are supposed to inform you of what they are doing, and if they use other then OEM parts, they are supposed to disclose that information, but its always a good idea to ask them EXACTLY what they are going to do and replace them with what. I always ask to see the removed/replaced parts. I then can tell them to throw them away, but you can ask for them back. Know thats not quite what you wanted to hear ...

How long has it been since the repair? What shop did you take it to? If you really believe that they screwed you over, you can contact the San Diego office of the Better Business Buerau and file a complaint, inquire as to any other complaints against the shop. Good Luck
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Hind sight is always 20/20, but if you take your vehicle in for repair and they replace any parts, you have the right to see the original parts they replaced so as to confirm they replaced it. If they rebuilt it, they are supposed to inform you of what they are doing, and if they use other then OEM parts, they are supposed to disclose that information, but its always a good idea to ask them EXACTLY what they are going to do and replace them with what. I always ask to see the removed/replaced parts. I then can tell them to throw them away, but you can ask for them back. Know thats not quite what you wanted to hear ...

How long has it been since the repair? What shop did you take it to? If you really believe that they screwed you over, you can contact the San Diego office of the Better Business Buerau and file a complaint, inquire as to any other complaints against the shop. Good Luck
I got it fixed at a chain shop. I won't slander their name because I might be wrong about it being the original master cylinder. It was "fixed" about 2 yrs ago. I typically ask for parts back these days for anything over a $100 repair. But I feel bad sometimes because they are often steel and I don't know how to recycle them.

There's really no way to know if they replaced it unless I know what an OEM master cylinder looks like, but I feel pretty confident with that "98" stamp it is probably the original. Anyone with a 98 4runner and an original master cylinder willing to go out and take a look at theirs?

There is no reason for a 3rd party manufacturer to specify 98 because the 96-98 4runners are identical. They would put them all in the same category.