Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My new (well not so) 4runner turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new (well not so) 4runner turbo

So this is my first post in the toyota community so I figured I would post and say hi, and ask a couple questions. I just purchased a 87 4runner turbo and I love it. I got a really great deal from a buddy who just wanted it gone due to a new car, so I picked it up. I bought it knowing that the truck had a few quirks, but nothing really major.

First off the truck is a silver (little bit of oxidation) exterior 22RT-E auto (wish it was a 5 speed, but hey) with 162k original miles, so its got pretty low miles for its age. But about the few problems, the first is the starter click problem I see is pretty common for the 22RE. I searched the forum and found out about how to fix this and I am going to replace the starter this weekend.

Second is the one that confuses me a little bit. When I drive the truck after start up (when it is cold) the truck drives fine. But once it gets up to operating temperture the truck starts to hesitate and miss. Also when I come up to stop signs the trcuk has a hard time idleing and wants to die. I have not done a tune up yet being I just got the truck, but I am going to go the cheapest (plugs, wires, cap, fuel injector cleaner) and go from there. maybe someone has heard of this problem.

Anyways, I am a forum nerd so I will most likely be on here all the time now finding out more info about my truck. My last car was a 200sx SE-R (if anyone knows what car that is) and I am still a big Nissan guy, but I have always loved toyotas, and I have been wanting to get a truck. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Old 07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Banned

welcome to the site... when i first got my 22r truck, it had hesitation/missing issues.... replaced cap, rotor, plugs and wires and all was better....
Old 07-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SR20steve
So this is my first post in the toyota community so I figured I would post and say hi, and ask a couple questions. I just purchased a 87 4runner turbo and I love it. I got a really great deal from a buddy who just wanted it gone due to a new car, so I picked it up. I bought it knowing that the truck had a few quirks, but nothing really major.

First off the truck is a silver (little bit of oxidation) exterior 22RT-E auto (wish it was a 5 speed, but hey) with 162k original miles, so its got pretty low miles for its age. But about the few problems, the first is the starter click problem I see is pretty common for the 22RE. I searched the forum and found out about how to fix this and I am going to replace the starter this weekend.

Second is the one that confuses me a little bit. When I drive the truck after start up (when it is cold) the truck drives fine. But once it gets up to operating temperture the truck starts to hesitate and miss. Also when I come up to stop signs the trcuk has a hard time idleing and wants to die. I have not done a tune up yet being I just got the truck, but I am going to go the cheapest (plugs, wires, cap, fuel injector cleaner) and go from there. maybe someone has heard of this problem.

Anyways, I am a forum nerd so I will most likely be on here all the time now finding out more info about my truck. My last car was a 200sx SE-R (if anyone knows what car that is) and I am still a big Nissan guy, but I have always loved toyotas, and I have been wanting to get a truck. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Steve
Welcome! I converted over from a '92 Sentra SE-R, loved that car.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:41 PM

Maybe send injectors to www.cruzinperformance.com. He said all these cleaners loosen up the dirt and actually plug up the injectors so dont add them. I also buffed out temp sender and another sender i forgot, dull to bright.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by dragr1
Welcome! I converted over from a '92 Sentra SE-R, loved that car.
Awesome! Yea I miss my SE-R allot, I am still going to try and find a nice clean classic SE-R. The cool thing about my truck is its turbo, so performance wise I see allot of potential. I don't know if there are many of the turbo 4runner so I dont know what kind aftermarket there is, but I think getting a cheap manual boost controller (set to maybe 9 lbs max) and getting a small IC and making my own custom piping with a BOV flange and re-building the turbo would be a nice not to crazy upgrade.

Also I was reading a couple threads about the hesitation problem and I am going to try and clean my TPS and see if that helps. Yesterday I bought the new starter and some tune-up items so those go in this weekend sometime.

But thanks for the welcome guys, I will take some pics of the truck and post, and also post what the result of the tune up and cleaning of the TPS.

Steve
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM

hey its ur tps. i had the same exact problem with my 87 4runner turbo and the same problem on my 95 s14 silvia. i changed it out with another one i had laying around and it fixed a little bit. but i took my throttle body boot off and it had a hole in it but i replaced it and it runs like a champ now. i did the sr20det swapon my s14 silvia. i miss that thing. but i like to do trails and go mudding so now i have a turbo 4runner. which makes me happy.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
welcome i think all turbo runners where auto, and we need some pics
Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM

I would check for boost leaks, its common on alot of turbo'ed vehicles.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 04-10-2008, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hahaha i didnt even notice the date
Old 09-10-2008, 08:45 AM

ok the problem with my 4runner was the #4 cylinder was low in pressure and the valves werent seating all the way. but i sold it.