Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is my NEW clutch bad after the truck sat for a month?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my NEW clutch bad after the truck sat for a month?

I had to get an autozone clutch out of desperation and time constraints about 6 months ago and I have put maybe 10-15K miles on the truck since then.
If its a a crappy clutch I can live with it going out early but...... the truck was fine, and I parked it about a month ago nothing was wrong there was NO slipping, I picked it up today, and now its slipping like crazy and smoking out the fender!!!!

Any ideas???? Could there be some fluid dripping on the clutch making it slip? I checked my fluid levels, my coolant was low, but thats it. I am stuck at a hotel till I figure this out, thanks everybody.

Last edited by DeckerT4R; 01-11-2007 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Anyone??? Bump.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Maj

Hmm, I'm thinkin' some kind of fluid contamination. I've had clutches that slipped a bunch but don't recall any smoke billowing out (just a heck of an odor). I'm at a loss to explain how fluid contamination would occur with the vehicle parked (unless parked on a very steep grade). If the vehicle is undriveable the tranny is going to have to be pulled anyway so once it is opened up, they should be able to pinpoint what happened. Replacing both the engine seal and tranny seal would be a good idea. Let us know what is found out.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeckerT4R
I had to get an autozone clutch out of desperation and time constraints about 6 months ago and I have put maybe 10-15K miles on the truck since then.
If its a a crappy clutch I can live with it going out early but...... the truck was fine, and I parked it about a month ago nothing was wrong there was NO slipping, I picked it up today, and now its slipping like crazy and smoking out the fender!!!!

Any ideas???? Could there be some fluid dripping on the clutch making it slip? I checked my fluid levels, my coolant was low, but thats it. I am stuck at a hotel till I figure this out, thanks everybody.
Sounds like its going to need a new clutch. :cry:
Old 01-11-2007, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Maj
Hmm, I'm thinkin' some kind of fluid contamination. I've had clutches that slipped a bunch but don't recall any smoke billowing out (just a heck of an odor). I'm at a loss to explain how fluid contamination would occur with the vehicle parked (unless parked on a very steep grade). If the vehicle is undriveable the tranny is going to have to be pulled anyway so once it is opened up, they should be able to pinpoint what happened. Replacing both the engine seal and tranny seal would be a good idea. Let us know what is found out.
The smoke comes out the drivers side quarter panel. The vehicle was parked on a flat yard. When I replaced the clutch I dont remember there being any fluid lines above the tranny, although I dont really remember and I would like to think that its fluid contamination and not a bad clutch. Can anyone confirm there being or not being any fluid lines that could get on the clutch?
Or has anyone had this happen and it turn out to be the clutch?

DID I MENTION IT WAS FINE WHEN I LEFT IT????

Last edited by DeckerT4R; 01-11-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

The soft line going to the clutch MC is on the driver's side...but if that got burnt and leaked fluid on the exhaust the clutch pedal would go all the way to the floor (I had this happen after my header install, not fun!). When you did the clutch, did you do the flywheel too? The reason I ask is because that would help you see if the rear main seal was leaking but I really don't see that being the problem here. Are you positive no one drove the vehicle during that month's time?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 PM

its possible that your rear main seal is leaking onto the friction disc making it slip/billow out smoke. Every time I do a clutch i replace the rear main, might as well while you in there because now you have to take it out to find the problem and RnR the clutch. I guess its also possible that its the input shaft seal thats leaking too. Dont put a crappy autozone clutch in this time!