Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)

Currently I have the stock speakers powered by an Alpine 9856 headunit and i've been pretty happy with the sound quality. But recently I got the itch to do some upgrades because I love to listen to high quality music. I also have an Infinit Basslink sub in the back that i've been happy with except for when I really want to jam out loud to Rap. I listen to mostly rock and other non/rap music but Then it lacks, but otherwise it is great for everyday listening. Here are some pictures of what I have now (this has been in for a year or so..)

(I know when I was

Now, what I just bought are some Polk Audio db6501 component speakers. I have only heard great things about them and after purchasing the RTi10 floor speakers by Polk Audio for the living room, I have my hopes up for these babies. They each take 100watts(rms) so that will be more than enough power. Also, they come with tweeters and crossovers. Here is what they look like:

Along with these I purchased the Profile AP600 amplifier. Its two channels and that is because I'm only putting these speakers up front (more on that later). Here is what that looks like:

For the back doors I am planning to put in some Sony GT1325A drivers and they run 2-35w rms. I reason I chose to do this is because toyota made is so that a very small amount of speakers are compatible. These sony's are the best fit and still i have to make a bracket for them. Here's a pic:

Of course all of these will look stock, because I'm NOT cutting out the grill, I'm just going to put them behind the door panels where the stock speakers are. As for the tweeters to the Polk's I have no idea how I'll fit those but we'll see.

I just ordered the Polks and the amp off of Ebay brand new for a total of $220 shipped, which is amazing. Crutchfield would have cost around $380 but they have excellence customer service, free shipping, and give you wiring harnesses and instructions for free. I felt like I could save the $100 dollars and sweet a little instead.

So when the products come in I'll take pictures of the install and maybe a movie or something.

Also, after this install I'm thinking about saving up and putting in a Polk Audio SR104-DVC subwoofer. Very nice and top of the line. It has 700 w rms power its 10 inches and runs 2 4ohm voice coils per sub:

I'm really excited and can't wait for the speakers to get in. Hopefully they will by Friday or Saturday so that I can install them during the weekend. Oh yeah, also I'm planning to do some sound deadening after this. If anyone has ANY tips or info I should know to help me with the install please kick some knowledge this way.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like your going to be busy this weekend.

I'm thinking about purchasing the same db6501's; any lessons learned would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the same polk audio speakers that you do in your truck with the crossovers and tweeters. i have yet to put them in, but when i do, you should hear me comming.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont get that sub.

go to www.caraudio.com/forum and read up in the subwoofers section.

I just made a box for my Sounsplinter RL-P 12" Its gonna be awesome.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cxrazy
Dont get that sub.

go to www.caraudio.com/forum and read up in the subwoofers section.

I just made a box for my Sounsplinter RL-P 12" Its gonna be awesome.
Whats wrong with this sub? I've only heard good things about it...
Old 02-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Looks like a nice system!

I'm due for an upgrade as well. Will be putting this HU in in a few weeks

And these to replace the crappy stock fronts

I'm stoked because they have been getting great reviews over here
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7302

Haven't decided on an amp yet, will probably add one in a few months and then a sub following that.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Dixon
Looks like a nice system!

I'm due for an upgrade as well. Will be putting this HU in in a few weeks

And these to replace the crappy stock fronts

I'm stoked because they have been getting great reviews over here
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7302

Haven't decided on an amp yet, will probably add one in a few months and then a sub following that.
Nice, will those fit in a 4runner? They look pretty big and deep or are you going to do a custom job? They look like very nice speakers. I'm pretty nervous about these that I bought, I hope they sound good...(fingers crossed).

Also, does anyone have any info on tweeter install, more specifically how to install the Polk tweeters behind the factory pods (or on top)?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:19 AM

I'm looking at the AVIC D3 head unit. Here's a pic from a craigslist ad I saw:

I like it because you can change the button color to match the other dash lights +nav +ipod +bluetooth +DVD.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by skjos
I'm looking at the AVIC D3 head unit. Here's a pic from a craigslist ad I saw:

I like it because you can change the button color to match the other dash lights +nav +ipod +bluetooth +DVD.

More info! Got any links to that? I want to get a GPS for my truck but don't really have a place for it. That looks like even if it costs a little more it would be worth it and it even looks kinda stock.

As for the OP questions. Great choice on the speakers, polk is a great brand for speakers. But i have to agree that you might want to look for another sub. That is an ok sub but for the same price you could get some much better ones.

Some that come to mind are RE, Brahmas (which is what i think i am getting, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix0KWSonmTM), IDQ, Adire even JL.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 AM

let us know how the db's sound. you may have to cut out a custom baffle w/ mdf and what not like i did to mount them, and the tweeters might not fit under the stock tweeter pods (dremel em)...other than that, looks good. honestly, there are many other brands of speakers out there (mids/highs, and subs) that can produce equal and greater quality at far lower prices. its up to you though..g/l with the install. oh - like others have suggested, try looking into "internet brands" which sell directly to the consumer - i went with ascendant audio before (theyve become retail somewhat), have fi right now, but others like soundsplinter, incriminator audio etc are great choices. RE is way overpriced nowadays imho. keep us updated
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM

That is a nice system you are putting together there. I have the Polk db6500s up front and they sound excellent compared to the stock paper speakers-not sure if you will have trouble with the 6501 tweeters.(Circuit City did my install-I break things when I try to do this type of work)

I am also planning on adding the Infinity BassLink to my rear cargo area so thanks for the pictures of that.

rock on
Old 02-04-2008, 09:53 AM

whats the fuse rating on the basslink? those power wires (i think they are) look awfully small - 16 or 14 ga.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 AM

The head unit in my previous post is a Pioneer AVIC D3, it has built in NAV and DVD capability; iPod and Bluetooth can be added.

Here are the details from crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3&i=130AVICD3X
Old 02-04-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
whats the fuse rating on the basslink? those power wires (i think they are) look awfully small - 16 or 14 ga.
I think there is 1 20A fuse and yes I will have to agree with you that they are a little too small but I did this before I knew much about wiring electronics so I'm thinking about replacing them. So far I havn't really noticed any adverse affect but just to be safe I think I'm gonna go with bigger wiring soon.

Btw thanks for all of the info so far. And I'll agree that I kind of ordered the db6501s in a hurry so if anyone thinks that I'm making a mistake please let me know because I also bought them from ebay and I would hate to not be able to return them and be stuck with gay speakers. For info, I like listening to high quality music which is clear and vibrant so just let me know, if you have heard these before, if I should cancel the order ASAP.

Last edited by YM13; 02-04-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

The polk comps should work fine since you already bought them. For the price you paid you will be very happy. But as far as the sub and the amp for it goes look into some other stuff.

Personally i am a big fan of old school amps, i like the orion, soundstream, ADS, US amps ect.. For the price you pay for them you can get some real noce sound.

Otherwise the alpine PDX amps are about the best you can get for mid-range amps now days and they are small.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM

The amp up there was to power the Polks, but thank you for the info on the subs I will definitely look into the other ones. I liked the Brahmas so i'll look into those. If any of you have any links to install info for tweeters and other stuff you think will help pass those along this way if you'd like.

Also, I'll put pictures up of the install...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I installed those polks in the front, and the 5-1/4" ones in the back. I had to cut alot of the interior door panel away and make some custom baffle mounts out of 1/4" plywood. I cut out the rear grilles and used the polks because I did the rears first. For the front I kept the stock door grille and also the tweeter grille, I just stuffed the new tweeter behind it with some foam to hold it in place and popped it in. It was not a fast process for either the fronts or backs.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by 111db
I installed those polks in the front, and the 5-1/4" ones in the back. I had to cut alot of the interior door panel away and make some custom baffle mounts out of 1/4" plywood. I cut out the rear grilles and used the polks because I did the rears first. For the front I kept the stock door grille and also the tweeter grille, I just stuffed the new tweeter behind it with some foam to hold it in place and popped it in. It was not a fast process for either the fronts or backs.
Hmmm this is interesting because crutchfield told me that it would fit without any modding if i used the bracket that came with it so that it will fit in the front...Man i hope i don't have to do too much work cause i have no idea how to fab. a custom baffle mount.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Um, if they're talking about a bracket that actually comes in the Polk box, then you're out of luck. If its something that Crutchfield sends along with it, then I have no idea.

If you really need it I can tear apart my entire door and take a pic. But then you would owe me a lot of beer.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 111db
Um, if they're talking about a bracket that actually comes in the Polk box, then you're out of luck. If its something that Crutchfield sends along with it, then I have no idea.

If you really need it I can tear apart my entire door and take a pic. But then you would owe me a lot of beer.
Hahah, yah i don't think i'd make you do that but they said that it should fit with a bracket that comes in the box....damn them if it doesn't i will be so mad...

Quick Reply: My New Audio System Polk Audio db6501 Components and maybe new sub (ongoing project)