Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

my first toy

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my first toy

whats up yotatech, figured it pop my forum cherry with a thread on my latest acquisition.

a few months ago i ended up totaling my f150

before:

after:

thats me i the black shirt, same day.

so a month later i ended up buying a tacoma. figured what the hell, the rest of my family has toys and they have never let us down. i ended up picking up this:

its a 1996 SR5 x-cab 4x4. power windows, locks, and auto locking hubs. it has a fab 6 with revtech spacers up front, and a lift block with extended shackle in the back. i picked up a set of 6'' alcan lift springs from a friend, just gotta find the time to swap them out. im also gonna take out the front spacer and switch it for my friends toytec aluminum spacer and shims. im sitting on some 15x10 Mickey Thompson Classic IIs wrapped in 33x12 bfg a/t tires.

eventually im gonna swap them out for some 15x12s for now, while i still take my truck off roading. eventually im gonna make it into a road queen, 11'' total lift (8 susp, 3 body) sitting on some either 20x12 or 22x14 wheels. custom painted black base, 2 tones with a candy brandywine top.

i had plans to do a SAS with a waggy 44 and go 10'' all suspension, but that idea pretty much petered out. i already have the axle too, and was suuper close to picking up both 10'' leaf springs for the rear and 6'' springs for the front. but meh. kinda over it. when she becomes the road queen i might just go with full size chevy axles. hahaha.

for in car entertainment, im running a pioneer 5100 deck to an all DLS sound system

DLS Ultimate A2, 2 channel amp for my components
DLS Ultimate A6, 1200w monoblock
DLS UP6i component speakers
and a pair of DLS RW10 subs for the bass

i started by making custom door pods for my midbass speakers and molded my sail panels to fit my tweeters

when i feel ambitious enough, im gonna redo my door panels in black suede and vinyl...but thats a while from now.

anyways. here is my canvas. lmk what you guys think

Last edited by Mr.B; 11-14-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 PM

welcome nice truck!
Old 11-14-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to YT..how did u manage to roll ur Ford? and Nice Tacoma..3.4L V6? 5 speed or Auto?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:27 PM

I think you'll find out that ppl on here are usually nicee and LOVE PICTURES!!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by JDS1992
Welcome to YT..how did u manage to roll ur Ford? and Nice Tacoma..3.4L V6? 5 speed or Auto?
fell asleep at the wheel on my way home. the taco is a 5spd. the prev owners said they put gears in it. im assuming 4.88s, truck has fun going 60mph without the engine screaming, but what throws me off is that it has no balls going uphill
Old 11-15-2010, 02:57 PM

Please dont put 22's on the yota... A lift with 22's is so self-contradicting...
Old 11-15-2010, 03:08 PM

if it ever gets to the point where i can afford the 22s, the bigest rocks the truck will be seeing will be drain rock gravel! haha. plenty of the newer tacomas over here run 6 susp, 3 body w/ cheyenne 20x12s the older body style like mines, more of the guys run 15x14 or some ridiculously wide real rims.. ill post up a video of some trucks up here in a bit
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xf2cb_1tpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWsQgXoJLG8
Old 11-15-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
You must be in Hawaii?
Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM

yup! the good ol 808 state!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 PM

to each his own I guess. Glad to have you aboard. It looks great the way it is personally. Do people actually go to offroad events in Hawaii or do they all just kinda ride down a road and turn around. Waste of money I think....
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 PM

that cruise was just a get together of a bunch of enthusiasts for labor day. we all met up at a particular spot, some 60-70 trucks in total, took the beach run and went to chill and talk story with each other at a park afterwards.

heres the thing about hawaii, each island is different. Kauai for example, they have a lot of trails and what not, but most of their trucks are built for sand. many of the trails end at beaches with beautiful, soft, white sand. in kauai you might see a lot of wheels 14'' or wider, with similar sized tires. a lot of trucks like this:

oahu also has sand but they have a lot more rocky trails to go play on. they also have larger, regular events, especially because of the population there. my cousin builds rigs up there and his favorite platform is the old school land cruisers. here is a pic of his ride:

over here, on the big island (hawaii island) nearly all of the fishing spots are only accessible with 4wd. the fun over here is more so playing in the mud, if youre not offroading to go fishing. but yeah, not all trucks here are road queens, and even those with the 15x18 reals lifted 12'' will slap on some stock sized tires and take their truck down into waipio valley, down on the beach there or through the rivers. you get your ride dirty, thats just more time put into the vehicle to make sure its still a good looking ride on the road. just some of my friends trucks over here... havent taken any pics of my truck all muddy...lol

Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 PM

aurite! tomorrow the lift block and traction bars are coming off the truck and my lift springs are going on!! also gonna slap in some toytec spacers up front to bring the front up a bit.

im also working on a deal to score me some 15x12 alcoas... already got the plan set with my friend, just gotta get the final details out of the way

Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 AM

I just don't understand the thought behind the Hawaiian style of lifts/tires/wheels. So contradictory to what actually works off road. Like JWaldz said, "to each their own", but I say keep the 3" BL and the 22s off that truck. The rest of the country will laugh at you, haha. I'm just giving you a hard time, no offense. I thnk it looks way better how it is now though. That blingy crap cheapens the truck IMO.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM

its all good... no offense taken. i wanted to go SAS, 10'' lift all suspension, but thats kinda gone by the wayside. trails over here are very different from in the mainland. we have a lot of deep ruts and what not (ill make sure to take pictures next time i go to south point) but we dont have the boulder fields or canyons or that type of offroading. thats probably why a lot of people here stick with the 6'' ifs lifts instead of a sas with some nuts articulation. from what everybody has told me (remember, im a noob to having my own 4x4...lol) the independent front still lets us clear larger tires for a little bit more ground clearance, whille keeping the streetability of the truck somewhat decent, instead of a spine breaking, leaf spring set up.

the idea of the big ass wheels is only when i have another reliable DD, and the toy literally becomes a weekend truck. oily on the asphalt but slap on a different wheel/tire combo and were off road ready. btw, i hate bling too. i was looking for the longest time for some black mirrors for my 150, an extra set of taillights to black out, and i just missed picking up a harley valance for the front bumper. wouldve just took the back off and had my friend paint it black if anything. the only shiny i wanted on my truck was the f150 badging and my aluminum wheels. everything else...BLACK! like the wheels i wanna eventually get for the toy -> http://tinyurl.com/fuelwheels -76 offset!! hahaha

its one of those stupid ideas i like to entertain, but doubt will ever happen
Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 AM

so! new leaf springs in, trac bars gone. shackle and block stayed...HAHAHA!! I thought my friend had some stock u bolts but he didnt and we didnt feel like cutting them either. not too sure if i wanna just lift the front higher or drop the ass back down.

heres a problem: my rear shocks are too short! they are the ones that come with the fab 6 kit, and now that i have a good 10'' of lift, THEY DONT FIT! suggestions on shock length??
Old 11-24-2010, 04:01 PM

BEFORE:

AFTER:

its sitting kinda ass high right now, gonna swap out the 3'' block for a 2'' later

Last edited by Mr.B; 11-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:35 PM

ok guys, i need some shocks for the back. any suggestions? trying to stick under $200 for the rears. for now the fronts are all g. gotta get me some shocks and then save up for some UCAs...
Old 11-28-2010, 12:43 PM

got a call from some friends late last night to go play in the mud... here is the aftermath!

one of the loudest (spl) vehicles in the state! 154db daily AND its the fishing rig

my other friends 4runner

two 4runners and a taco

later in the morning

Old 11-30-2010, 10:32 PM

just a little bit of flex... futtin around in the back yard. lol

or as my cousin says: thats not flex, thats lean! maybe i shouldnt have flipped the overload spring. =/

Last edited by Mr.B; 11-30-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Quick Reply: my first toy