Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Is my clutch going out???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Tug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my clutch going out???

I just purchased a 2002 extended cab manual transmission Tacoma TRD 4x4 with 74xxx miles on the clock. Whenever I take off in first gear the truck jerks same thing happens with I shift from first to second, once I get passed second gear it stops. I also noticed that when I'm shifting in normal driving conditions I have to push it into gear a little harder than normal, or if I'm parked and have to back out I definitely grind the gears trying to put it into reverse.

I took the truck to my mechanic and back to the service manager at the dealership and because the clutch feels tight and it isn't slipping they both said nothings wrong with it.

Other than the jerking and difficulty I have shifting from one gear to the next the truck drives like I just drove it off the show room floor.

This is driving me crazy, any help would greatly be appreciated

Tug
Old 02-10-2008, 05:17 AM
Maj

If the vehicle shudders/vibrates when accelerating from a stop that sounds like the phenomenon known as clutch chatter. The clutch disc and/or flywheel are warped a bit making uneven contact and causing a high-frequency slip/grab/slip/grab situation. It is annoying but doesn't really harm anything.

A warped clutch can aggravate smooth gear changing since complete disengagement is not occurring. A minor adjustment might alleviate that problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's got 74k miles on the original clutch? If so, it's not hard to believe it's due to be changed. If you're having this issue and your master/slave is good then you're only option is to drop the trans and check the clutch, well I say check, someone would be crazy to drop the trans and not just replace the clutch/pressure plate. You don't want to wait too long because you risk scoring your flywheel and it will most likely need resurfacing.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 AM

Mine was chattering really bad in 1st gear when it started to g out. Of course, I had 2x as many miles on my clutch as your truck has. I suppose it's possible. You never know who drove the truck before you. They might have been a newbie to stick shift transmissions.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 AM

I've got 208,000 on my 2000 and I have a supercharger. It slips pretty badly. No shutter but real harsh gear engagement.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
R/R the shifter seat bushing and seal, which both the igmos at the dealership should have suggested.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:40 AM
Tug

WOW... I never thought I'd get this type of response in such a short period of time... THANK YOU.

The truck only does it when accelerate in first gear than again when I shift from first to second and a little bit from second to third after that it does ok. Like I said in my previous post when I'm shifting under normal conditions it just doesn't shift as smooth as it should, its almost as if I have to push the shifter a little bit harder for it to go to the next gear but the gears aren't grinding so I wasn't sure if it was the clutch or the clutch slave cylinder. Speaking of the clutch slave cylinder, could that be causing my problems?

Don't get me wrong I realize this truck isn't new and will never run like its new but it shouldn't have such a hard time going from one gear to the next.

I didn't know what clutch chatter is so I looked it up:
"A condition in which clutch severely vibrates as car accelerates". My clutch doesn't vibrate the entire truck does.

Beings its Toyota Certified how should I approach the dealer in order to get them to pay for the fixing of the truck? They've already looked at it once and have said it works fine.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
R/R the shifter seat bushing and seal, which both the igmos at the dealership should have suggested.
I'm sorry waskilly, I'm not quite sure I understand what your saying ... R/R the shifter seat bushing and seal??
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
remove and replace shifter seat and bushing. You need to pull the shifter out to access them.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 AM

do you have clutch fluid loss?. Also, its rare but did you check your pedal bracket for cracks? If the truck is certified, take it back and ask to speak with the service manager. Go on a test drive with him so he can verify the complaint, then you should be able to have them fix it
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Tug

Originally Posted by toytech76
do you have clutch fluid loss?. Also, its rare but did you check your pedal bracket for cracks? If the truck is certified, take it back and ask to speak with the service manager. Go on a test drive with him so he can verify the complaint, then you should be able to have them fix it
No, no fluid loss.

When the Toyota dealership originally received the truck beings it was Toyota Certified they gave it a "160 point quality assurance inspection". I would like to think if there were any fluid leaks or if the pedal bracket was cracked they would have found it than.

I already took the truck to the dealership and went out for a test drive with the service manager and he said it felt fine. I have noticed one thing that when the trucks cold is when its at its worst. The dealership is a half an hour away so when I do get there the transmission is nice and warmed up so it naturally wouldnt be shake nearly as bad as it did before I went to the dealership. I could see why the fly wheel might cause the problems Im having but would awarped flywheel make it difficult to shift from one gear to the next?

Thank you so very much

Tug

Last edited by Tug; 02-10-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Maj

Originally Posted by Tug

I didn't know what clutch chatter is so I looked it up:
"A condition in which clutch severely vibrates as car accelerates". My clutch doesn't vibrate the entire truck does.

Beings its Toyota Certified how should I approach the dealer in order to get them to pay for the fixing of the truck? They've already looked at it once and have said it works fine.
That definition is a bit confusing. The vibrations from the clutch chattering are transmitted and felt throughout the vehicle.

As far as the dealer goes, argue that chattering is not part of a normal operation no more than a vibrating steering wheel is from front end problems. If they still refuse, see if you can find a more sympathetic dealer.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:01 PM

if its hard to get it in gear...its your bushings...or your slave is taking a crap...i never read all the above...but how much play you have in your bushings
Old 02-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Tug

Im really at wits end with this truck, would putting in a new clutch kit solve the problem's Im having?

Last edited by Tug; 02-10-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Maj

Hey guys, correct me if I'm wrong but bad bushings would make it difficult to shift but should not make the gears grind, correct?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Usually not no. Sometimes they can be difficult going into reverse. Every toyota i've owned has acted up at one time or another. I say take it back to the dealer and leave it with them overnite so they can experience it. It would be worth your time if they fix it
Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 PM

the stock delco disks they used in some of those trucks were really bad, i could see if going out at 70k if its used hard. I blew out a disk right after i got mine from the previous owner not knowing how to drive, and the truck only had 30k on it at that time. I smoked out another disk 20k after that and it was the exact same factory delco one. After that i replaced only the disk with a factor replacement aisin disk, and havent had any slipage problems whatsover even under hard abuse. The aisin disk i switched to only cost $100 and turned out to be the exact same disk that centerforce uses in their dual friction setup, even down to the exact part number.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Tug

Palmer unfortunately I have no idea how the previous owner drove the truck. I can tell you from the car fax I ran (which is almost worthless IMO) that the truck was taken to the dealership every 3000 miles at which time the oil was changed and the chasis was lubed. I may have gotten the truck from the same dealership only this time rather than the chasis getting lubbed they got confused and lubed me by mistake... lol.

Anyway back to my question, would getting a new clutch kit installed change the way the transmission shifts? Could it hurt?

Thanks

Tug
Old 02-10-2008, 10:39 PM

IMHO if there's any chatter when the clutch is engaging, regardless of whether it's felt throughout the whole truck or just the clutch pedal, changing the clutch *should* fix the problem. Also, as mentioned earlier, at 74K, it's probably due for replacement in the near future anyway. I'd also be willing to bet that if you pressed the issue hard enough with the service manager, you'd be able to get the job done under warranty at the stealership where you bought the rig. Good luck, Tug.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Tug

Thanks JL

One thing I can say about the dealership where I bought the vehicle is they've been more than cooperative throughout this entire ordeal. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

I'll keep you posted

Tug
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats weird, in ACTUAL miles i have almost 300,000 on my clutch. according to the odo, almost 260,000. and its just starting to slip cuz my front tranny seal developed a leak and covered the clutch in oil

Quick Reply: Is my clutch going out???