Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My CB install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My CB install

I finally got around to getting my CB Radio/ antenna mounted. I decided to put the CB where the ash tray goes. That was a pain, but after alot of cutting and some double sided tape i got it in how i wanted it.

As for the antenna, at first I decided to mount it on the hood. I tried to make it look somewhat semmetrical (sp?) to the radio antenna, but that didnt turn out to well. I decided that it didnt look quite right there so I took it down.

After a couple week I ordered a mount for the rear hatch. I just finished installing that now, I am much happier with it there. I havent gotton around to wiring it yet.

Onto the pics. . .

Ignore the discoloration in the dash. . . I had the flash on.

I will get some better pics in the morning..
Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 PM

looks good.

i should be getting one for either my b-day or chiristmas. i was planning on installing it into the same place.

do you really like the look of the antenna on the back? ive only see ones with it on the hood and the front bumper, and so far i like the bumper idea the best. maybe a few pics of the back?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

Honestly, I havent even had it out of the garage yet so I really havnet gotton a chance to decide if I like it or not.

My only complaint is that I dont fit into my garage anymore. I havnet decided what to do about that. I will get more pics in the morning like i said, I had just got back from work and mounted it so I didnt really have time to take it out and take pictures. Plus it was dark. . .
Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jwbehm
My only complaint is that I dont fit into my garage anymore. I havnet decided what to do about that.
just leave the antenna off when you're not using it...
Old 08-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks like mine!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
did you install your cd player on top like that ?
Old 08-19-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well have you had a chance to breaker 19 for a radio check yet? I'm close enough to a truck stop on I-35 that I can sometimes hear them from my driveway.

Don't forget and drive into the garage with the antenna on, I did that once
Old 08-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. I've got mine mounted in where the cd deck used to be from a write up on this site. I still need to put a mount on the rear as I used to mount in on my roof rack but I've taken it off to save on gas. Yeah and as mt goat said don't forget about it and drive under the car port. Since mine was mounted on the rack I couldn't go to a drive thru at a restraunt w/o getting out and taking it down. Imagine being embarassed having it scrape the top and cringing at the thought of a broken fiberglass antenna.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:39 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread but where was that antenna trunk mount purchased? Anybody have a part number? Also it looks like the trunk would hit the antenna when its opened? Is that true? Thanks

Last edited by SpeedyJ; 06-25-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
I'm eyeing this one:
Firestik Door Jamb Mount
By the looks of it, it should not interfere with the rear hatch. I already have the 4' antenna, so I'm going with this mount. Wiring it should be the hardest part...
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM

I need to do an install like that on my 4Runner.

I remember when I had the antenna mounted to the bed of my double cab .. I forgot and drove into the parking area at the condo we stayed at in Pensacola Beach and it was scraping like a mofo... almost took out some lights in the parking deck before I stopped to take it off.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 PM

Where does that mount attach to the trunk? Do you have to drill holes or do the holes in that plate line up with bolts from the trunk bracket or the tail light mounting bolts?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm looking to install a CB myself in my 94 runner, but there isn't any room to do it. How did you make that room?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Nice job. I used one of those rubber strap mounts for a fire extinguisher with self taping screws and mounted it to the right of the stick.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedyJ
Where does that mount attach to the trunk? Do you have to drill holes or do the holes in that plate line up with bolts from the trunk bracket or the tail light mounting bolts?
Maybe this will help you:

Link 1

Link 2

You may be able to find some good info here too:

Link 3
Old 08-01-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
I'm eyeing this one:
Firestik Door Jamb Mount
By the looks of it, it should not interfere with the rear hatch. I already have the 4' antenna, so I'm going with this mount. Wiring it should be the hardest part...
That's the same mount I have on mine right now. Installed it last week. It clears fine. I mounted it lower than he did though, mine is mounted to the body just beneath the taillight.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:54 PM

thats exactly where i mounted the CB unit. its a good place for it, and who really needs an ashtray anyways?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 PM

me and my friends have always wanted some cb's just to mess around and talk with. what are some advantages of getting one installed?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sloan
me and my friends have always wanted some cb's just to mess around and talk with. what are some advantages of getting one installed?
1. Listen to channel 19 (north to south) 21 (east to west) and the truck drivers will let you know where the police running radar are sitting

2. You will know where the police are in general rolling or shooting radar or laser or pulled over with other people = less chance of getting nailed for speeding or other dumb stuff

3. You can find out how to get around traffic jams miles before you get stuck in it.

4. On long drives you got someone to talk to when you are alone

5. If you ever have an emergancy and no siginal on your cell you have one more option to getting help

6. If your stuck in the mud or going down a trail you never been on you can keep in touch with your buddies and find out where the ruff and tough stuff to look out for is.

7. If you get lost from the group you can talk with them and have them talk you in.

9. If you break down out in the middle of nowhere with out a cell you can still get help

10. THE MOST IMPOTANT IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOUR WITH GETS HURT AND NEEDS MEDICAL OR OTHER ATTENTION YOU HAVE ONE MORE WAY TO COMUNICATE WITH THOSE WHO CAN HELP

just a few reasons I could come up with off the top of my head Iam sure others have a few more ideas.

Last edited by olharleyman; 08-02-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
1. Listen to channel 19 (north to south) 21 (east to west) and the truck drivers will let you know where the police running radar are sitting

2. You will know where the police are in general rolling or shooting radar or laser or pulled over with other people = less chance of getting nailed for speeding or other dumb stuff

3. You can find out how to get around traffic jams miles before you get stuck in it.

4. On long drives you got someone to talk to when you are alone

5. If you ever have an emergancy and no siginal on your cell you have one more option to getting help

6. If your stuck in the mud or going down a trail you never been on you can keep in touch with your buddies and find out where the ruff and tough stuff to look out for is.

7. If you get lost from the group you can talk with them and have them talk you in.

9. If you break down out in the middle of nowhere with out a cell you can still get help

10. THE MOST IMPOTANT IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOUR WITH GETS HURT AND NEEDS MEDICAL OR OTHER ATTENTION YOU HAVE ONE MORE WAY TO COMUNICATE WITH THOSE WHO CAN HELP

just a few reasons I could come up with off the top of my head Iam sure others have a few more ideas.
sounds pretty darn useful.

Quick Reply: My CB install