Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My cab WILL be SILENT!!!!

Old 01-16-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My cab WILL be SILENT!!!!

I am determined to make my cab free of rattles, vibrations, knocks, etc. Resolved the infamous V6 tick inside the cab by putting a piece of carpet around the steering column, but I still have a few questions:
1. My passenger seat rattles when no one is in it. The bolts holding it to the floor are all tight, what's the deal? And,
2. When I hit a large bump, there's a sound coming from the rear underside of the truck. Kinda sounds like hitting a tin can with a wrench. Any ideas?
Thanks alot, I'm new to this board, and so far, I have learned so much! Later.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the site.... you might try lowering your air pressure that will help out with vibrations/rattles unless you are running some really knarly mud tires but if you are, then truth be told, your truck will never be quiet....

i really hate to say it, but its a truck, and they rattle, not much you can do about it... hell my sister has a 99 civic and it rattles, and so does anything new off the showroom floor... the only real way to have it completely silent is to not drive it at all
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Or spend 1000 on sound deading stuff. Not peel n seal or htm, but real pricey sound deadening stuff. Try damplifier pro and luxury liner. It should be pretty quiet after that. But even for a truck it will be over 500.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

and if you buy tons of sound deadening material, it will kill your gas mileage and performance as that stuff is heavy
Old 01-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
and if you buy tons of sound deadening material, it will kill your gas mileage and performance as that stuff is heavy
I doubt there would be any affect on mielage or performance... for a reg-cab or x-cab truck, you're talking about maybe 40-50lbs of silencing material???
Old 01-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

50-60 pounds more is still a big deal...
Old 01-16-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

I have done the soundproofing and I am happy with the results. My 4runner it totally silent and you can hear conversations/misic at low volume much better. I have a writeup on the 2nd page of my home page in the signature if you want to check it out.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:39 PM

..or just turn up you stereo!
Old 01-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Respectuflly, I completely disagree with the idea that he will see any performace or mileage changes with this amount of weight.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well thanks for all the replies guys. I'm not really interested in adding sound deadening material, the truck is insulated really well, and has the insulation blanket on the hood........it's actually quite quiet inside. What I'm asking is is there any way I can adjust the passenger seat. It shouldn't rattle like that. And as for the tin can noise, it just sounds like something is loose underneath the truck, but I don't know what. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 PM

The seat is likely going to be a lost cause... Almost all of the toyotas I've owned have had this problem. It's not the seat base, it's wear on the mounts where the seat back meets the seat base... I'm honestly not sure what to tell you about that one.

the tin-can noise from under the truck could be the heat shield on the catalytic converter...
Old 01-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

If you worried about the wieght of the sound deading, then put 50 lbs worth of sand in your truck for a week. I doubt you will be able to notice any performance losses or decreased mpg. If the extra wieght is a big deal, then just dont drive with passengers anymore
Old 01-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation I went the cheap way.

In my 88 I went to a junk yard and found a Saab 900 4 door that had the seats removed. Under the carpet there is a layer of sound proof pad much like Dynamat. I pulled it out and the junk yard guy told me to take it. I was able to cut it to fit perfectly the entire cab floor of my rig under my carpet. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Then I bought a roll of sound/heat proofing insulation from Lowes, it’s the same stuff you would wrap duct work with. I pulled all of the plastic crap off the back wall of my cab and under my extra cab windows and stuck it to these area., even better! Then I took my door panels out and cut some pieces out to stick in there. Now when you shut the doors you don’t hear the ringing sound of hollow steel. My truck is almost silent with the windows up, no BS. My friends can’t believe how quiet it is now; all in all it can’t weigh more than 20 pounds. I also have some Ice and Water shield, the roofers used it on my house, it is heavy sticky backed thick matting that you run down your roof valleys under the shingles. I used a few pieces in the doors of my Miata and that made a big difference! I say hit a junk yard, I know the older Saabs have the sound proof pad layer under the carpet. Its like a 1/4" thick hard rubber layer attached to a thick dense foam layer. Its most likely going to be free, you can cut it to fit and trust me, makes a big difference. You may need 2 full sets if you’re doing a runner.... good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Si. it is!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Contributing Member

Don't really have a solution to the seat issue...but keep in mind that the rule of thumb of the effect that weight has on horsepower is 10 to 1. Ten pound weight reduction will result is roughly one horsepower gain. Likewise for adding weight. By adding 50-60 pounds of anything, you effectively lose 5-6 horsepower. May not sound like much, but how much are you starting with?

Just something to keep in mind...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
I have done the soundproofing and I am happy with the results. My 4runner it totally silent and you can hear conversations/misic at low volume much better. I have a writeup on the 2nd page of my home page in the signature if you want to check it out.
How long did it take you to do all that? I was thinking of doing something similar but haven't decided yet.It will have to wait till spring/summer here as its cold as hell out right now. But it is something in the back of my mind.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yota4runner
How long did it take you to do all that? I was thinking of doing something similar but haven't decided yet.It will have to wait till spring/summer here as its cold as hell out right now. But it is something in the back of my mind.
I did that job in one week over spring break after work each day. Took a good number of hours, at least 50 but that is including the install of my amp, cap, dash speakers, and other random stuff.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GregStevens
Don't really have a solution to the seat issue...but keep in mind that the rule of thumb of the effect that weight has on horsepower is 10 to 1. Ten pound weight reduction will result is roughly one horsepower gain. Likewise for adding weight. By adding 50-60 pounds of anything, you effectively lose 5-6 horsepower. May not sound like much, but how much are you starting with?

I think I added about 40 pounds with 100 square feet but my sub is about 70 pounds! Good thing I only weigh 127 pounds my self! I did notice I had a bit more power when I had the entire interiour pulled out and no sub (carpett, seats, andpannels).
Old 01-17-2005, 03:38 PM

Miles, was it worth it? Was the time put into the project worth the amount of sound deafening that took place?
Old 01-17-2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by GregStevens

I've not heard that, but I have to call BS...

If that were the case, the 22re couldn't even move the pickup that it's mounted in.. The 22re puts out about 115HP at the crank... That 3400 lb pickup would put a 22re at -225HP. Now add a 3500lb towing capacity and two adult males and you lose anther 380HP.

You'll have to excuse the sarcasm..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My cab WILL be SILENT!!!!