Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My Bad Yukon Gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Bad Yukon Gears-Now Installed and Updated

I ordered 4.88 Yukon gears from Marlin and everything was a go, until uh-oh, the rear ring gear threaded bolt holes on the new Yukon ring gear aren't exactly right. It's like they threaded the holes with something that was tapered and they let it go too far in. You can take the ring gear bolts (ones from the Yukon install kit and factory Toyota's both are identical) and put them in the holes about 3/8" before they even catch the threads. Unlike the factory gears where everything fits nice and tight from the top of the hole. You can literally take the bolt in the ring gear bolt hole and move it around-this is where it should be threaded and tight. Just my damn luck!!!!!!

To make things even worse the pinion is already installed, so now that has to come out again. Oh yeah and my factory pinion gear had 2 chipped teeth.
Hopefully this is just an isolated problem. Wonder what will be wrong with the front gears, hopefully nothing.

Marlin has been good to deal with, they are sending me another set and they are covering the shipping. The problem has to be in the machining of the ring gear.

Last edited by dragr1; 03-05-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, sorry to hear that. I've heard Marlin was easy to deal with. Glad he is making it right.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by seaflea
Wow, sorry to hear that. I've heard Marlin was easy to deal with. Glad he is making it right.
Yeah, they are good to deal with and it's not their fault. Whoever machined it, i.e., whoever makes Yukon gears is to blame.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Marlin will get all my future 85 business...if he sells it.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

i've heard horrible stories about yukon while doing my homework lately. they don't MAKE any decent gears. they buy overstocks from spicer, precision, value, and a ton of other stuff and sell them as their own. they've also been mixing in some chinese steel in with their supposed all american boxes and people have been having trouble just like you.

for me, it will be precision and precision only. what did you pay for them? i got a quote for 4.56 F/R Precision R&P's for $330 + shipping + $198 for the F/R Master Install Kits.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
i've heard horrible stories about yukon while doing my homework lately. they don't MAKE any decent gears. they buy overstocks from spicer, precision, value, and a ton of other stuff and sell them as their own. they've also been mixing in some chinese steel in with their supposed all american boxes and people have been having trouble just like you.

for me, it will be precision and precision only. what did you pay for them? i got a quote for 4.56 F/R Precision R&P's for $330 + shipping + $198 for the F/R Master Install Kits.
Around that, it's on Marlin's site. Where did you get all that info, on all the Toyota sites I've seen, everyone says Yukon is the best? Even Steve has Yukon's.

Oh yeah, I ended up getting Sierra front gears b/c 4.88 Yukon's for the front are on backorder for longer than I can count.

Last edited by dragr1; 02-24-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree except I like US Gear too. I had a long talk one morning with one of the Steve's salesman and he finally admited to me that a lot of the Yukon line is made overseas. He wouldn't say where overseas but I'm betting China. Yukon and Genuwine are about the same catagory in my book.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 AM
Banned

Yukon has a factory in India. They also buy some of their stock from China, then mix them in w/ the stuff here from the states that they don't make. For a taco/4runner/tundra, the "YUKON" 7.5" IFS gears are the EXACT SAME as the VALUE GEAR brand. They are one in the same. If you pay for a YUKON 7.5" toyota R&P, then you get a VALUE R&P in a YUKON Box.

I found all that on Pirate. It's a VERY good read. I'll see if I can find the post and link it here...

I agree about US Gear as well. Precision, US, Superior, Spicer ($$$), etc... just not Genuine, Value, or Yukon from what I've read.

Brett, if it's not too late, then just send the Yukon's back and pay the extra $30 and get Precision's. - that's the price difference that I was quoted - $30

Last edited by bamachem; 02-25-2005 at 04:17 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great. I just bought a set of Yukon gears (5.29s) in the box new off of Ebay.

Probably will just sit on them for a bit.

Damn

Jutty
Old 02-25-2005, 04:13 AM
Banned

Check the markings on the gears. They may be US, Superior, Spicer, Precision, Value, or some Chinese Crap and maybe even Chinese Forged w/ Chinese Steel w/ Fake Markings to imitate the other brands. W/ Yukon, you really don't know what you'll get, so be VERY careful. Also be VERY careful of "too good to be true" deals on eBay and such...

Info on TTORA about value gears being the same as Yukons for the 7.5" toyota IFS no matter how much you pay.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ead.php?t=1984

and more on Pirate...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267232

Last edited by bamachem; 02-25-2005 at 04:15 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Crap this sucks. Luckily, the front gears I got are Sierra. They have already sent out another set of Yukon's. I will inspect them when they come in. Where is Schaefer on all this, he has the Yukon's.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:47 AM
Banned

did you read those posts??? ufff. no yukraps for me, thanks... sorry about your experience. i found those posts earlier this week and it was a real eye-opener.

i got that price off a deal running on pirate. $330 for precision vs. $290 for yukon.

the only yukon failures that i've found have been where they were the cheap gears (indian, chinese, etc) and they failed and were noisy. the other brands don't seem to have 1/10 the failure rate of the crappy "value" brands.

just make SURE that you don't get a cheap gear set. if you do, get your money back.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221897

he will PM you w/ a price ASAP. they're performance offroad center in athens, ga...

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com
Old 02-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

did you read those posts??? ufff. no yukraps for me, thanks... sorry about your experience. i found those posts earlier this week and it was a real eye-opener.

i got that price off a deal running on pirate. $330 for precision vs. $290 for yukon.

the only yukon failures that i've found have been where they were the cheap gears (indian, chinese, etc) and they failed and were noisy. the other brands don't seem to have 1/10 the failure rate of the crappy "value" brands.

just make SURE that you don't get a cheap gear set. if you do, get your money back.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221897

he will PM you w/ a price ASAP. they're performance offroad center in athens, ga...

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com
I'm gonna give Marlin a chance and see what comes in the mail next week. If they suck they're going back. Saddest part is I researched this forever and had never seen that post. I'm going to read it now.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

My Sierra Gears are doing just fine.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:42 AM

Check the markings on the gears. They may be US, Superior, Spicer, Precision, Value, or some Chinese Crap and maybe even Chinese Forged w/ Chinese Steel w/ Fake Markings to imitate the other brands. W/ Yukon, you really don't know what you'll get, so be VERY careful. Also be VERY careful of "too good to be true" deals on eBay and such...

Info on TTORA about value gears being the same as Yukons for the 7.5" toyota IFS no matter how much you pay.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ead.php?t=1984

and more on Pirate...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267232
I will. Gonna go over them really close and if there is any doubt, then they don't go in.

Wow. This sucks.

Jutty
Old 02-25-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

US Gears will have a little stamp of the outline of the shield on their logo. Here is their logo: http://www.usgear.com/

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-13-2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 AM

After about 5k miles of driving, I'm taking my front yukons out in a couple weeks, so we'll see how they've held up so far.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Everyone out west has Yukon gears. Myself, Hunt, Marmot, Brown the list goes on forever.

All of ours are fine. Have them send you a new one. Randy's has 2 lines the "value" and the high end.

I fell into the Web Lies and bought Precision Gears for the FJ. What crap. The nut for pinion is a PG part that you can only get form them. The Toyota nut is alot bigger.

I wish I would have got Yukons for the FJ and been able to use my factory parts.

Marlin would not sell them unless they were good. Off Road Solutions would not install them of they were not good. Kong's would not have sold them and installed them if they were not good.

Yukos are re-boxed US Gear. That is the real truth, from Kongs an actual distributor.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Yukos are re-boxed US Gear. That is the real truth, from Kongs an actual distributor.

Well, maybe 90% of the time and applications, but for a few out there, they've been receiving Value Gears in a Yukon Box when they order an PAY for Yukons. Randy's excuse? They are one-in-the-same. Yup. They supposedly put the very same gears in both Value boxes and Yukon boxes. That's what they are now saying anyway. If that were the case, then why have two lines for the 7.5" front? Why not have them all Yukon and have one price. Why do they overcharge customers for the Yukon name on the box? It just doesn't add up.

Look at those posts and other. Not all of them are US Gears due to the markings people are reporting.

If precision takes a special nut, then I guess I'll look elsewhere or take my chances on getting Good Yukons as opposed to bad ones.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3

That may have been true in the past, but times they are a changing. A Randy's tech told me last month that most of the Yukon gears for Toyotas are now made overseas. US gears are not made overseas.

My question is why not just get your gears straight from a US Gear distributor near you. I found one within driving distance, saving a bunch on shipping.

Quick Reply: My Bad Yukon Gears