Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My backwindow is messed up.. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My backwindow is messed up.. Help!!

This morning when I got in my runner to start it I could hear this weird clicking sound coming from the cargo area. I Rolled down the backwindow to investigate and the noise is coming from the tailgate area. I was running late for work by now so I went to roll the window back up and nothing!!! Tried the key in the back and it won't turn at all! I kept messing with it and with the key in the accessory position and I managed to get the window up about 1cm at a time!! It wouldn't move at all with the truck running. Even with the window up it sits there making that clicking noise. I tore into the tailgate and unplugged the motor and I can still hear the clicking but it's real faint now and coming from somewhere behind the drivers side panel in the back like behind the cubby hole box. I supsect that the noise is the relay. Now my questions
1. Has anyone seen this relay and do you think that's what the noise is?
2. If you have seen it is it a pain to replace?

The rear wiper won't work neither but the rear defroster does... Hope you guys can help with this mystery problem.. It got really cold last nite if that matters..

EDIT: The key now will work to roll the window down but it won't do anything to roll it up. If I push the up botton the clicking relay stops making noise. The relay is somewhere behind the tailite but I can' t get the side panel off with the tailgate up. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN DEPOWER THAT RELAY. IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS CLICKING!!

Thanks

Last edited by UKMyers; 02-14-2003 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm sounds like my problem, but I dont have the 'clicking.' My 4runner was rearended twice, the first time the entire rear end body had to be replaced and ever since the key will not roll up the window. It will roll it down, but not up. The only way I can get the window up, is if I use the switch on my center console. I wonder if we have the same thing wrong with our tailgates....

Where is the relay? In the tailgate or in one of the quarterpanels? (1990 2nd gen 4R here) The only way I know to depower the relay is to disconnect the main battery, but I dont think that would help anything....

Steve
Old 02-14-2003, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

UPDATE: After tearing into the truck and realizing I couldn't get the side panel off with the tailgate and window up I gave up today at work tinkering with this problem. When I came out of work this afternoon the clicking had stopped and I crossed my fingers, stuck the key in and it worked like a champ.. Really weird. It was cold last nite and sunny today so a drastic temp change is all I can figure is what cured it. I went ahead and used silicone spray to lube up all the working parts and tracks and then used a caulk gun to seal the plastic all back down again. I didn't put it back together though because I have a bad feeling it will be clicking in the morning as it's supposed to get really cold here tonite.. well like down to about 20F not all that cold but colder than it's been getting.. So does anyone have any clues as to what caused this? Electrical guys can a relay just get whacked like that and then heal itselt. Either way I am sure whatever it was is on it's last legs.. I just wish I knew for sure so I could order a part.. I am sure it won't be a cheap part neither.. Oh well problem solved for now.. Time to
Old 02-14-2003, 09:02 AM

Question

man my runner has a problem with the back window but my problem is that my regulator rubs on my back window and has scratched my tint this just started about a week ago so i haven't had a chance to pull it apart yet.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:41 AM

Joey, I've had problems with my rear window since the day I bought my 4Runner. Although I've never had any clicking or it only being able to go up a little at a time. Mine seems to be very temprimental of the weather When it's cold out it doesn't roll down (I can get it to if I keep turning the key in the back, or keep pressing the down button with the engine running) and it also likes to stick sometimes when I want to roll it up, I'll have to keep turning the key to roll it up, or keep pressing the button repeatedly until it starts moving to get it to roll up.

I've just learned to live with it until it completely stops working

Good luck with it!

-Braden
Old 02-14-2003, 10:44 AM

Runningman

Hey,

I had post similar last month asking about a scratch being worked into the window. This has happened on both my 1987 runner and my 1995 runner.

The resonse I got was "Its Dirt caught in the window seal!"...

I'd like to stop this cratching problem, but to me the seals on the 1995 look clean...

Mike:rolleyes:
Old 02-14-2003, 12:08 PM

rear window

:pat: Mike,my 87 does the same thing.I've checked it out but can't find the problem.I know theres a round plastic wire connecter attached to the tailgate that faces the outside part of the window.I'm wondering if the window catches the connecter on the way up.The connecter rolls until it binds between the moving window and the tailgate.Causing the scratching.Sound possible to anyone else?
Old 02-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

All of your guys' problems sound relatively mild compared to what I had going on. It's super simple to access all the workings of the rear window. The carpeted cover on the tailgate just pops off. Start on one and work your way down. Behind that is a metal piece that is about 3 feet long with 5 screws. Remove that and now your down to the plastic that seals that tailgate. Take care removing this and don't rip it. It is critical you get a good seal on it when you put it back together to keep moisture out of the tailgate Moisture=Rust! Once you get the plastic off you can see all the plugs and fittings, the rear wiper motor is right there, and you could also very easily see what would be rubbing on your glass. It's super easy to get at the key fitting from the inside too. There's a plastic ring that you turn a half turn and it falls out of the hole. Give it a go it's not that hard really....

Also wanted to let you guys know that my truck is totally covered in frost and there's no clicking this morning.. really weird it only did this once.. I fear it will do it again in the future though.. Oh well it's off to detail the Runner for Britains largest indoor 4X4 Show tomorrow.. Meeting up with around 10 Hilux Surfs for the day. Can't wait!
Old 02-15-2003, 04:09 AM
Ava

Re: Runningman

Originally posted by Hokiez97
Hey,

I had post similar last month asking about a scratch being worked into the window. This has happened on both my 1987 runner and my 1995 runner.

The resonse I got was "Its Dirt caught in the window seal!"...

I'd like to stop this cratching problem, but to me the seals on the 1995 look clean...

Mike:rolleyes:
If the rubber seals are partly inside-out or the seals are worn dust (sand) gets into the rubber. If you look closely, the side that's towards the glass has fibers (a very short brush) on it to prevent dirt particles to touch the window.

Ava.

Edit: BTW, my rearwindow plays similar tricks on me too. Is there supposed to be a delay mechanism that controls the opening/closing of windows after the ignition key is removed? Perhaps that is something to look into. I've ordered a workshop manual (and that wil take weeks to arrive, if at all) and didn't get the original instruction manual so I really can't say right now.

Last edited by Ava; 02-15-2003 at 04:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by UKMyers
Oh well it's off to detail the Runner for Britains largest indoor 4X4 Show tomorrow.. Meeting up with around 10 Hilux Surfs for the day. Can't wait!
Damm wish I could make it tomorrow Joey, :rolleyes: Ive got my wifes 30th Birthday tonight (Sat) and I know theres know way Im gonna be in any fit state to drive tomorrow

Make sure you get plenty of pictures.....

Cheers Bud

Luke