Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runners 6 Year evolution.. the story is finally coming to an end. maybe..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4Runners 6 Year evolution.. the story is finally coming to an end. maybe..

I bought this brand new in 99 000,003 miles to do some mild offroading thus I got the differential lock option from the dealership... but also as my daily driver.

Suffice to say after 2 weeks and my 38K investment I felt that she was far to pretty to take off road so I went the other route...

I first started changing the interior to make it more of a cruiser...
I tinted the front 2 windows and threw in a custom system..

Now a year and a half later..

After the system I thought hell, might as well make her a total street queen.
So I softened the ride by changing out the springs and also lowered her 2 inches... Also put on some new shoes dubs wrapped in 275/45/20s

So that lasted about 3-4 years, I finally felt that she had some age on her a total of about 5.5 years and started the NEW transformation which was actually the orignal idea -- off road..

Threw on some OME stuff, purchased some 32 inch revos and put on the stock rims.. but still the front was almost an inch lower and the approach angle was terrible.

None the less I went on my first WHEELING excursion very light but good fun.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/shoda/Mud2_Audio.WMV <---- VIDEEEOOOOO

Now I have finally added another 1.2 inches of lift in the front and a TJM bumper..

I feel that the Saga is over BUT Im thinking about the following...Bars and a Winch.

Haha sorry for being long winded but it has been 6 years

I wanted to thank all of you for your help and advice. There have been 3 forums that have REALLY helped me since day 1 and thought you all were due my thanks. WOOHOOOO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED by JimmyK : 06-18-2008 at 05:50 PM.

After much more help on this forum I added a budbuilt Skidplate painted with black rustoleum

And I installed the supercharger (serious thanks on the help here - took me a good 15 hours)

Last edited by JimmyK; 06-18-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:22 AM

Don't stop! Thats turning out to be one sick looking rig. Get a rack, rock sliders, as you said, a winch... Theres so much you can still do, so don't stop now.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

nice evolution! look around for members nearby, im sure they would be agreeable to setting up some offroad adventures. keep up the great work on your rig!

lee
Old 07-24-2005, 10:16 AM

Wheeww, Until I saw the second set of pics I was gonna declare that a MAJOR waste of a factory Locker!!! But you totally redeemed yourself...that is unless you sell it..
Old 07-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Looks great - I much prefer the most recent changes over the street look.

Andreas
Old 07-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Your ride looks soooo much better. I remeber seeing it on cardomain. At the time you went to Tech or still do. I remeber your truck b/c it was from VA. I am glad to see your bumper mounted.

If you need anything or want to get together and wheel, drop me a line.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:28 AM

Thanks guys! yeah Im pretty excited about it myself, cant wait to start taking her out and about.

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
Your ride looks soooo much better. I remeber seeing it on cardomain. At the time you went to Tech or still do. I remeber your truck b/c it was from VA. I am glad to see your bumper mounted.

If you need anything or want to get together and wheel, drop me a line.

I actually might take you up on that, but you sound like a pro I'd need some virgin friendly trails. I joined this local VA watering hole forum and it seems the guys go to this George Washington National Forrest place, you ever been there? Or do you have any plans?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:59 AM
lee
Contributing Member

awesome story...

...so there is still hope for dubbed out street queens, huh?

nice truck.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:23 AM

Looks nice with the TJM on it. Keep going, add some M/Ts, sliders, winch, lights, supercharger. The mods won't ever stop on mine once they get started.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, your new transformation looks great. I'll look for you on the roads in NoVA.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JimmyK
Thanks guys! yeah Im pretty excited about it myself, cant wait to start taking her out and about.

I actually might take you up on that, but you sound like a pro I'd need some virgin friendly trails. I joined this local VA watering hole forum and it seems the guys go to this George Washington National Forrest place, you ever been there? Or do you have any plans?
there is no issue with wheeling together. Anytime, let me know. As for GWNF, there are all kinds of trails in and around Harrisonbug, RTE. 33, GWNF.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know, there are "rescue" organizations all over the country for abused and neglected animals. We should have one for 4Runners that get "street queened." A 4x4 4Runner with a locker! Poor thing...putting dubs on it and lowering it was like putting Randy Couture in slippers and a pink tutu. Such drastic demeaning of a 4Runner should result in immediate forfeiture and repossession of the vehicle to save it from further abuse. All 4Runners with lockers could then go to good, deserving homes where their owners will utilize them for their full potential, and after intensive long term therapy, there's a good chance they can be reintroduced to the 4-wheeling community without any permanent mental health issues.

Every once in a while, we run into an owner that can change his "bling-bling" ways and becomes a responsible, caring 4Runner owner. You, Jimmy, are a shining example of what can happen when a man (or woman) realizes the errors of his ways and takes drastic and immediate corrective action to rectify (hehe...he said "rectify") an unacceptable situation. You have restored your 4Runner to full off-road-capable glory and you should be recognized by this community and the one you call "home" as a good man who has over come dire circumstances, has taken responsibility for his actions, and has become -- once again -- a fully functional member of our society. You give hope to recovering mall runners and "ghetto wagons" every where. Congrats on your progress and transformation!

Ed
Old 07-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Yep,that was a close one but I'm glad this story has a happy ending.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lee
awesome story...

nice truck.
There is even hope for yours Lee, if you can believe it!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by lee

i did hear something about a rescue league being formed...right? well, i say they look at the president of ne4roc for violating the the anit-street queen law. i thought that people who own a 4runner should actually use the 4runner. no? for example...what is worse?

1) someone who put's 20" rims on, and therefore limits that truck to the pavement

OR!

2) someone who plays the part of off-roader, and put's...oh, i don't know...1" pp lift springs and mt/r's on his rig...and then parks it in boston while his buddies are out getting stuck on the trails for a fun afternoon of pushing, pulling, and come-along'ing?

Last edited by bflooks; 07-25-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:53 PM

just messing with you lee!
Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
Ya know, there are "rescue" organizations all over the country for abused and neglected animals. We should have one for 4Runners that get "street queened." A 4x4 4Runner with a locker! Poor thing...putting dubs on it and lowering it was like putting Randy Couture in slippers and a pink tutu. Such drastic demeaning of a 4Runner should result in immediate forfeiture and repossession of the vehicle to save it from further abuse. All 4Runners with lockers could then go to good, deserving homes where their owners will utilize them for their full potential, and after intensive long term therapy, there's a good chance they can be reintroduced to the 4-wheeling community without any permanent mental health issues.

Every once in a while, we run into an owner that can change his "bling-bling" ways and becomes a responsible, caring 4Runner owner. You, Jimmy, are a shining example of what can happen when a man (or woman) realizes the errors of his ways and takes drastic and immediate corrective action to rectify (hehe...he said "rectify") an unacceptable situation. You have restored your 4Runner to full off-road-capable glory and you should be recognized by this community and the one you call "home" as a good man who has over come dire circumstances, has taken responsibility for his actions, and has become -- once again -- a fully functional member of our society. You give hope to recovering mall runners and "ghetto wagons" every where. Congrats on your progress and transformation!

Ed

Haha Im ashamed to admit this, and I need to find the picture, but I actually DID some mild Off roading (not 4wheeling) with the dubs.

Back at school there was this cute chick who had slid off the road in her kia sportage so I threw down the 4lo hopped 2 curbs and a median nice and slow. and threw a strap on her car/truck whatever it was and pulled her out. You should have seen the articulation and wicked flex when I hit that curb.... at least my CVs were happy about the angles...
Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 PM

and the final update... I think... skid plates and supercharger
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lookin nice, i can't wait to supercharger my baby later this year
Old 06-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Wow man, I also admired your 4Runner on cardomain.. I've even got some pics of it saved on my computer.... lol

Quick Reply: My 4Runners 6 Year evolution.. the story is finally coming to an end. maybe..