Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

My 4Runner suck is snow - why?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4Runner sucks in snow - why?

So today we've got about 5 inches of snow which started as rain, turned to wet snow, and now is dry snow. Not the greatest conditions for any vehicle.

But my 4runner doesn't seem planted anymore and I'm wondering if it is:

1. Revos (supposedly good in snow)
2. Suspension (nothing fancy just 3 inch)
3. Rear axle (don't have the lateral bar setup yet)

Any thoughts out there on which of these three are the culprit. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by 4RunnerFever; 02-06-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerFever
So today we've got about 5 inches of snow which started as rain, turned to wet snow, and now is dry snow. Not the greatest conditions for any vehicle.

But my 4runner doesn't seem planted anymore and I'm wondering if it is:

1. Revos (supposedly good in snow)
2. Suspension (nothing fancy just 3 inch)
3. Rear axle (don't have the lateral bar setup yet)

Any thoughts out there on which of these three are the culprit. Any other suggestions?

I found the tires make the biggest difference in snow but it is expensive to do what I am doing (ie I run a set of Michelin Lattitude X-ice snows on one set of rims all winter and a set of Michelin LTX M/S on another set of rims in warmer months). It is like night and day litterally.....we barely use 4WD anymore unless we get over a foot or more of white stuff. The AT tires are just too hard to grip in cold weather and if the tires are soft (ie they do grip well in snow) then they will wear very fast and people would complain of tires having a short lifespan (from excessive treadwear) if used year round. It all comes down to what you want and what you are willing to pay to get there.

....don't bother with studded tires unless you travel very icy roads (ie sheets of ice) on a regular basis because they usually not as good as the studless tires on dry, wet or even snow. People that deal with deep snow regularly would do best to run mud type tires.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-05-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Move to a climate that doesnt see Frozen Precipitation
Old 02-05-2006, 10:06 AM

It's the width of your tires.

I have seen the same problems with my rig. I went for the stock size in studs and I'm breaking free all the time. I even have 210 lbs of sand in the back - my rig is squatting and I break free in my office parking lot every evening when I leave

Erich
Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 AM

well actually snow tires usually (dirt also) are best to bea bit skinnier with a larger sidewall... that is typically the best type of "size" for snowy conditions. The tire/rubber will make the biggset difference like MTL said.

My runner is great in the snow and all I have are some Geolanders; they are a bit soft and don't last as long as BFG's or anything but always please me.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:35 AM

I have run 265/75 BFG ATs on my Runner for about a year now, we have had a few inches of snow eher twice, mostly about 6 each time, and I have no complaints, the runner has been better in the snow than any p/u I have ever owned, and the tires seems to hold up very well, no snow packing in the treads. Don't know, the revos never seemed to have a very agressive tread to me, but still have way more than the Destination LEs that came stock, which werent good by any means, but still decent. I am able to spin the tires easily if I mas the gas in the snow, after I kill my TRAC. My question would be, do yuo have a heavy foot?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
1. Air down to about 26 psi
2. Add extra wieght in the rear
3. Use a light foot

I always found my 4Runners to be "squirrelly" on ice and snow unless I did #'s 1 and 2 above. When I had REVO's, they performed much better in snow after airing down.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Erich_870
It's the width of your tires.

I have seen the same problems with my rig. I went for the stock size in studs and I'm breaking free all the time. I even have 210 lbs of sand in the back - my rig is squatting and I break free in my office parking lot every evening when I leave

Erich
Studded tires really only excel in ice....if you deal with mostly snow, slush you might consider replacing them with a different tire.

4RunnerFever, if actual snow tires are not an option then I'd do as Rick suggested to help get more traction (esp airing down.....but you will lose a bit of gas milage doing it).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-05-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

My Nittos seem to perform better in the snow than my friend's same year Runner shod with the same size Revos but I think problems seem to show up with the wider sizes.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:45 PM

when you say that it "doesn't seem planted anymore"... compared to what? I ran 32/11.5-15 Dueler ATs (non-revos) for a long time and they were great in the snow. Deep unpacked snow was their downfall - is that the kind of stuff you're driving in, or have the roads been plowed, or at least driven on enough to pack the snow down?

No AT is going to be good in unpacked snow - you need something that cleans better, and you really need to know how to drive in it.

If the roads have seen any traffic, let alone a snow plow, then I'm not sure what to tell you. No offense, but perhaps it's you, not the truck?
Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 PM
lee
Contributing Member

im willing to bet your supercharger isnt helping

the name of the game for start traction in snow is to ease into acceleration...
Old 02-05-2006, 03:49 PM

get nokians these tires stick to anything
Old 02-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
when you say that it "doesn't seem planted anymore"... compared to what? I ran 32/11.5-15 Dueler ATs (non-revos) for a long time and they were great in the snow. Deep unpacked snow was their downfall - is that the kind of stuff you're driving in, or have the roads been plowed, or at least driven on enough to pack the snow down?

No AT is going to be good in unpacked snow - you need something that cleans better, and you really need to know how to drive in it.

If the roads have seen any traffic, let alone a snow plow, then I'm not sure what to tell you. No offense, but perhaps it's you, not the truck?

Good question - it doesn't seem planted compared to before the lift and tires change. I think the rear axle is the problem. If it isn't tracking straight then any little input into the steering will cause the rear end to get out of whack. This is especially true when I'm stuck in the mud or ice. With the rear diff locked, I just slide 360 instead of go where I point.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

P.S. Been driving in snow since 1984 (in a FJ40 no doubt) so I know a little about easing in to the throttle, etc.

Snow tires would help, but I guess what I'm really asking is if the rear axle is not in its proper plane, then could that cause loss of traction above and beyond tire width, tire pressure, tire size, driver input, etc.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by 4RunnerFever; 02-06-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:51 AM

You don't want to lock your rear when driving in snow, for one spinning tire is ok but when both spin you will fish tail the rear end, as you know since you have been driving in snow for awhile.
Do you have a limited slip or just an open diff with the locked rear end?
Your axles setup won't make a difference is your not moving very fast.

Tire width has been discussed and makes a big difference. My BFG AT KOs where great in the wet type of snow we get here in Ohio but my current Bridgestone Winter Duelers rock. I haven't needed 4wd yet this year (course we haven't gotten a lot of snow either). Sometimes this much traction is disappointing but not when the wife drives it on snow days.
A side point, researching snow tires they have many but small tread pattern to hold the snow and provide a many edges as possible for tractions. Snow sticks to snow. M/T are not really that good in wet/packed snow but much better in thick dry snow.
How is your stopping power? This will help rate the tires in the snow conditions of your area. Are you able to turn securely?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lance
How is your stopping power? This will help rate the tires in the snow conditions of your area. Are you able to turn securely?
I've got the factory differential and it doesn't seem to matter whether it is mud or snow, when locked, the vehicle just jumps sideways and loses traction.

Stopping power is actually really good, but turning (say a short steep uphill) breaks both front and rear loose. Probably just a function of snow and slush, but it I don't remember it being so bad before the lift. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

I've got the factory differential and it doesn't seem to matter whether it is mud or snow, when locked, the vehicle just jumps sideways and loses traction.

Stopping power is actually really good, but turning (say a short steep uphill) breaks both front and rear loose. Probably just a function of snow and slush, but it I don't remember it being so bad before the lift. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Are you locking your diff when driving in snow, slush or ice?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:36 AM

Good question - it doesn't seem planted compared to before the lift and tires change. I think the rear axle is the problem. If it isn't tracking straight then any little input into the steering will cause the rear end to get out of whack. This is especially true when I'm stuck in the mud or ice. With the rear diff locked, I just slide 360 instead of go where I point.
That definitely sounds like a typical characteristic of wider tires... they tend to feel more 'floaty' because of the larger footprint.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Are you locking your diff when driving in snow, slush or ice?
Only if I'm stopped and stuck.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Only if I'm stopped and stuck.
Ok good, because that would have you breaking loose all over the place when driving.
You never know, so I figured I'd ask.

Quick Reply: My 4Runner suck is snow - why?